Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cable Drum Plastic Guard Hermle 1161 (By: Tinker Dwight)

You can likely get your center wheel out by removing the other two. The guard pin should screw out. Then wiggle it out one of the sides.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Cable Drum Plastic Guard Hermle 1161 (By: RRCos)

The guard location pin is pressed in on these. You can work the cable drum out to the side, after removing the other drum/s, though. However, it's not that easy to get all the parts back in their proper position. Getting it back together is pretty easy, PROPERLY placing everything will take a while and a you will need a good movement stand.
    Willie X

Registered user.

Default Re: Cable Drum Plastic Guard Hermle 1161 (By: Willie X)

Well, I oiled the movement and put it back in the case.. It's working fine, but I know that it eventually will fail. It is dated to 1985 and probably well past it's prime.

I am not prepared to polish or repair bad pivots or replace bushings. When it fails, I will replace the movement with a new one.. then use this one to take apart and learn how to do those types of repairs.

Default Re: Cable Drum Plastic Guard Hermle 1161 (By: RRCos)

Quote Originally Posted by RRCos View Post
    Well, I oiled the movement and put it back in the case.. It's working fine, but I know that it eventually will fail. It is dated to 1985 and probably well past it's prime.

I am not prepared to polish or repair bad pivots or replace bushings. When it fails, I will replace the movement with a new one.. then use this one to take apart and learn how to do those types of repairs.

That's a good plan. You'll have the identical new movement to refer to as you complete the repairs on the old one, and when you get it all fixed you could consider selling it on one of the auction sites.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Registered user.

Default Re: Cable Drum Plastic Guard Hermle 1161 (By: shutterbug)

Not all Hermle's had the removeable pins, as Willie already mentioned.

I have had good success in regluing the broken cable protectors with Plasti Zap, once they've been cleaned with alcohol. Haven't had one break at the glued spot yet.

So- how does the cable end up winding itself above the plastic, if it is placed below it to start
    Matthias in B.C.
    ------------------

Registered user.

Default Re: Cable Drum Plastic Guard Hermle 1161 (By: matthiasi)

Hello Mathias..

The pin that holds the drum guard in place is missing (I did not see it at the bottom of the case). Without the pin, the guard spins freely along with the drum when the clock is wound. That's what caused the cable to wind on the outside of the guard. These do not appear to be removable pins.. they look like they were pressed into the plate.