Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default westminster problem any advise??

good day to you all ! can somebody advise me on a really silly accident that has happened on my Westminster clock mechanism. I have spent ages sorting out this clock ( its my first Westminster)set in up the various bits and bobs that where all out of sink . And finally I got it working and put the hands on it to do a time check and stupidly forgot to wind it round a fully hour to check that the hands did not touch each other ....and yes they did ! so now I have a floppy hour hand as the snail has broken off from the 1/4 hour star cam .

so the questions are ........

1) can I glue this back on crude I know but what else can I do ... was thinking stud lock or something like that ......any suggestions
    2) what is the relationship of the snail to the 1/4 hr star cam ( do not know the correct term for this part ) with regards to each other ? was thinking should I line up the leading edge of the snail with the point of the hour star cam (one is slightly tall than the other three on the cam... and I assumed this was the hour (strike ) point) ?
    any info would be great!
    fluff
    Still pissed off with my stupid mistake ...... what a numbnut !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170307_08_53_37_Pro[1].jpg   WP_20170307_08_53_51_Pro[1].jpg  

Default Re: westminster problem any advise?? (By: fluff)

I have moved this to the Clock Repair forum where I think it will do better.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: westminster problem any advise??

I'm having trouble comprehending it all. The hands touching won't break anything. Yes, trying to fix it could make the hour hand floppy but what that has got to do with snail and star wheels is beyond me. The snail is on the hour wheel which sits freely on the Centre wheel shaft above the star lifting pinion. The star cam is a brass star and pinion pushed onto the centre wheel shaft. You say something is broken and then you talk about quarter hour lifters. Yes the big one is the one that works on the hour. This one has to be in synch with the big bump on the chime 4/4 cam. None of this is serious rocket science. I fail to see what you have broken. That is, I am assuming that the minute wheel post is a screw and you unscrewed it in order to remove the hour wheel and that is why I cannot see a minute wheel.

Registered user.

Default Re: westminster problem any advise?? (By: roughbarked)

many thanks for your reply ..... I have just sussed it the was a wrong ! there was a complete wheel missing dive from minute to hour wheel .......what a muppet ! that's what happens when you do a 16 hour day at work then come home and do work on a clock !sorry for wasting your time (Pardon the pun).
    thanks
    again !
    fluff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170307_10_05_45_Pro[1].jpg  

Default Re: westminster problem any advise?? (By: fluff)

It is all good. You solvered(sic) the problem.

Default Re: westminster problem any advise?? (By: roughbarked)

I spotted it right off. I'm glad I read the rest of the thread before posting
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.