Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock

Any advice for carving bone hands for a 100 year old cuckoo clock. I have the minute hand , a very plain one which looks like the celluloid one`s on modern cuckoos. I plan to use beef bone. Do I cut and carve on a fresh bone or do I need it to dry to minimalize shrinkage and cracking? I don`t have a band saw so will be cutting with a hand jig saw and hacksaw. and drilling with an electric or manual drill. Any recommendations on the type of jig saw blades or hacksaw blades for cutting the thickness of the hands. Should I rough out the shape of the hand and cutouts before I cut the thickness of the hand. or vice versa. I will finish up the details of the hand with small files. Thanks for any advice

Default Re: carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock (By: timepast)

Hi Timepast, if you would like to start from real scratch, I applaud you. However if you would like to do what you wish to accomplish a tad easier, you can get bone guitar saddle blanks. Assuming of course that they are long enough.

This is what i did when I had to make a bone hand for an old cuckoo.

David
    David S

Registered user.

The bone should be cooked or boiled, not raw, raw bone is too soft and you want to make sure to remove the fat, marrow and blood.

Look for bone folder on eBay, used in folding paper and card, these are bone, 6" long 3/4" wide, should be large enough for most cuckoo hands, make sure you get bone not plastic.

For cutting from the stock if that's the way you go, try the Japanese pull saws, thin blades, fine teeth with little or no set, cuts on the pull stroke leaves a very clean surface on wood or bone, for cutting out the hands, jewellers saw and a support block, cutting in the detail on the hands a Dremel and various burrs or a carving chisel.
    Last edited by dAz57; 03-06-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Default Re: carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock (By: dAz57)

Using a dremel and burs will have to be on the slowest speed which isn't good for the dremel because bone burns easily and a spinning burr is like an aboriginal with a spinning fire stick.

Default Re: carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock (By: roughbarked)

Some of the beginner websites for bone carving suggested precleaned dog chew bones. I think I`ll start there. Thanks so much for all your suggestions and carving advice

Registered user.

I still would not use raw bone, too soft, anyway I bought a couple of these bone folders, 3 cost me $11AU delivered, these are bone, some are plastic so make sure to get "bone" folders usually made from beef bone, they are 150mm long 20mm wide and 5mm thick at the middle, so enough to make a pair of hands.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170317_162849.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	336671  

Default Re: carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock (By: dAz57)

Cool! Where do you get them?
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock (By: shutterbug)

The cleaning process for raw bones sounded tedious --changing with soapy water over weeks.. So made soup outta a lamb shank; scraped off all the meat, cut off the joint balls, cut it in half , scrapped out the marrow, scrubbed then soaked bone with dawn dishwashing soap overnight, scrubbed with Bon Ami scouring powder . The bone was perfectly degreased and ready in 2 days. And ready for my carving... We`ll see how that goes...lol But may also get some of the bone folders to try too

Registered user.

Default Re: carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock

Shut, eBay, just look for bone folder, these are ox bone, make sure it's bone and not plastic in the description, there are dozens of sellers for these

Timepast, that's what I did, I made a stew, I got the butcher to cut the ends off a beef shin bone and so the bone will fit in the pot, the meat fell off and the marrow just slid out, chilli beef and beans, yum!

I boiled the bone in clean salted water, then just left it in the sun for a while.
    Last edited by dAz57; 03-17-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Default Re: carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Cool! Where do you get them?
    Likewise, very good information. I just looked it up. Think I'll try it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiskars-Bone...QAAOSw3v5Yqpyv

Registered user.

Default Re: carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock (By: Dave T)

Dave, be careful, check the description, they say bone folder but!

[QUOTE]NEW SEALED, FISKARS BONE FOLDER.
    MADEA FROM DURABLE PLASTIC THAT WILL NOT DAMAGE PAPER[/QUOTE]

I tested mine and they are bone, I bought it from a seller beautyzz2009, but there are dozens of sellers.

Default Re: carving bone hands for an old cuckoo clock

[QUOTE=dAz57;1099254]Dave, be careful, check the description, they say bone folder but!

NEW SEALED, FISKARS BONE FOLDER.
    MADEA FROM DURABLE PLASTIC THAT WILL NOT DAMAGE PAPER[/QUOTE]

I tested mine and they are bone, I bought it from a seller beautyzz2009, but there are dozens of sellers.
    Thanks, Unfortunately I didn't post a proper link. But the ones I ordered have this description:

Description

Specification:

• Brand New
    • Material: Natural bovine bone
    • Size: Approx 15cm x 2cm
    • Color: White

And came from this seller: roomfullofthings
    Last edited by Dave T; 03-17-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: add information