Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display?

Without paying a fortune, I would love to mount a clock on the wall enclosed in Plexiglass without a face where everything could be seen.

Thank you.
    Confucius say: "Man own clock know time. Own two, never sure."

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: Robert Gift)

Just a couple of thoughts:

Do you plan to run the movement or just display?
    Are you interested in a longcase movement or wall clock movement?
    Both Kieninger and Hermle have in the past offered some models of movements with polished plates or completely polished, they are quite attractive when polished.
    Kieninger also offered a clear acrylic dial for the KSU/RSU series of movements, if you are going to run it you might as well be able to have it tell time.
    There is one of the clear dials with chapter ring on e-bay right now, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kieninger-cl...kAAOSwfVpYplD1

The dial is being sold by a fellow in Ontario Canada I have done buisness with before, not a crook!

Dial is 11.4 inches square, with seconds ring and dial feet, it is new.

Sligh also made a shelf/table clock with all polished movement and four glass sides. Is supposed to be a copy of the one presented to the Queen on her silver jubilee.

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display?

We are not allowed to post links to current auctions.

JTD

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: JTD)

Quote Originally Posted by JTD View Post
    We are not allowed to post links to current auctions.

JTD
    In general that is correct, and I for one would be eternally happy if folks would refrain from posting such links in the open forums and confine such communications to e-mail or PM's. That said, I will let this one go, since it could be construed as a part for completion of a product, available in quantity, even if the quantity is only 3.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
    Without paying a fortune, I would love to mount a clock on the wall enclosed in Plexiglass without a face where everything could be seen.

Thank you.
    Yes.

For my money, the 8 day Forestville movement is a pretty (especially when cleaned up unlike the movement in the pic below) genuinely antique American clock movement. Loose ones do pop up now and then.

Be patient, wait to get something that's well made and has some value.

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5473.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	335518  

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: Steven Thornberry)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    In general that is correct, and I for one would be eternally happy if folks would refrain from posting such links in the open forums and confine such communications to e-mail or PM's. That said, I will let this one go, since it could be construed as a part for completion of a product, available in quantity, even if the quantity is only 3.
    Sorry about that, I did it to point someone at an example. Steven you may delete my offending post.

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: upstateny)

Quote Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
    Sorry about that, I did it to point someone at an example. Steven you may delete my offending post.
    It doesn't offend me in this instance.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: Steven Thornberry)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    It doesn't offend me in this instance.
    I was not suggesting that it did. I offended the rules.

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: upstateny)

Don't know about over there but over here you can pick up a 250 year old posted frame movement for under £100.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

RM, I agree with you -- the 8 day lyre works combines beauty and economy in the use of brass. Mine is hidden inside a plain old OG -- seems a pity.
    Ray Rice

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: Robert Gift)

For starters you may want to consider an open frame Hermle time only wall clock. I have several of them and they are quite nice. Movement is on the small side with all wheels in a straight vertical line. It has an ornamental 4# iron weight and passing bell strike. It just strikes once at the top of each hour. Good movement, nice looking, for pacino dinero.
    Willie X
    Last edited by Willie X; 03-06-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: Willie X)

I make these from movements I have rescued from Gingerbread/OG clocks whose cases were trashed or from movements only that I pick up. If I can't salvage the case at least I can save the movement. All are fully rebuilt and functional. I don't have a picture but the last one I did was a weight driven OG. These make nice conversation pieces and educational tools. People really like to see the wheels and levers in action. especially the ones with alarms.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1875 (1).JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	335592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1916.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	335593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1913.JPG 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	335594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1915.JPG 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	335595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1882.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	335596  

Default Re: Does anyone make a nice looking weight-driven movement I can display? (By: PaPa_Clock)

Great looking conversation pieces PaPa!!
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Nice work there PaPa.
    Willie X

Registered user.

Default Thank you, all

Wow, PaPa clock!
    Love your plaque-mounted movements. The red wood is an especially nice contrast to the brass.

Wanting the clock to keep time, I thoughthathe movement would need to be protected in Plexiglass with pendulum and weights outside the housing.
    But even better if it can be totally exposed.

(Still seeking thin wires to power narrow incandescent lamps to gently illuminate the chains, weight and pendulum in Ridgeway model 304 case.
    The sides of the case have glass.)
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-07-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Confucius say: "Man own clock know time. Own two, never sure."