Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Question F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information please.

Hi all,
    I am researching the background of a Napoleon hat mantle clock.
    I has the following label on the back of the case door, "F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield". I cannot see any other identifiers on the case and the movement (not removed from case).
    The clock has a time train and a chime train (hour chime and single chime on the half hour).
    Has anyone heard of F.B.Butlin, watchmakers of Huddersfield?
    Is there any easy way of identifying the name/type of movement?
    Thanks,
    Regards
    JJ007

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5316.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	335477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5317.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	335478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5318.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	335479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5323.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	335480

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: JJ007)

Welcome to the board.

I doubt whether F.B. Butlin (78, Lockwood Road, Huddersfield) had anything to do with the manufacture of this clock, he was likely the retailer. I suspect the movement is German and could have been made by almost any of the German clock manufacturers in the years between the wars. Is there anything written on the inner side of the gong stand?

Someone may come along who can recognise the movement by sight.

JTD

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: JTD)

Thanks for the info, JTD.
    I am considering taking the movement out for cleaning and checking over so I will look for other clues.
    I will definitely take the gong stand out and see if there are any markings.
    If I find any I will post back on this thread.

Registered user.

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: JJ007)

I don't see any label like "Made in Germany" which leads me to think it might
    be a domestic made clock. You might look at Smith's clocks.
    This is called a striking clock, not a chiming clock. The round coil is
    a gong, not a chime.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: Tinker Dwight)

The movement doesn't appear to match any UK made ones. at least in any reference material I have, maybe that stylized gong stand may be a better clue to identifying it.
    Jonathan.

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: Tinker Dwight)

Thanks for the additional information Tinker and jmclaugh.

Hello JJOO7,

The proper term for this case style is: Tambour.

It was made in US, UK, and Germany and was popular in early 20th century probably 1910 - 1930.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: Andy Dervan)

Thanks Andy for the additional info.

Registered user.

In any case, give the gong holder a good look on the other
    side.
    I couldn't find a match for that movement either. Still is is
    close in design.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: Andy Dervan)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Dervan View Post
    Hello JJOO7,

The proper term for this case style is: Tambour.

Andy Dervan
    Not in the UK where the case style is referred to as Napoleon Hat.
    Jonathan.

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: jmclaugh)

Quote Originally Posted by jmclaugh View Post
    Not in the UK where the case style is referred to as Napoleon Hat.
    We probably had rather more to do with Napoleon

I had always wondered what a tambour case was.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: novicetimekeeper)

Your clock's movement, dial, and gong were most likely made by Kienzle. Not all of their movements were signed. The case may be British made. Most British cases I've seen were veneered while German factory-original cases tended to be made of solid wood.

There is no official name for this style - they are simply 'mantel clocks'' or 'table clocks' in all known factory literature.
    "Experience, Education, & Enjoyment." - Justin A. Olson

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: chimeclockfan)

Thank you everyone for your items of information.
    Much appreciated.
    I have removed the gong stand to view it's reverse side, unfortunately it is flat and unmarked.
    The case looks veneered in oak so based on what you have said, the case is highly likely to be British.
    The movement has now stopped and the pendulum will not swing for long, so now I am emboldened to remove the movement from the case. I have been watching YouTube videos so am comfortable at the minimum to remove it.
    Once removed I will then inspect the movement and will then decide if I want to either get some of the clock maker tools and enjoy taking it apart etc or if I will just take it to the clockmakers for repair. Financially it does not make sense to have a clockmaker do a service as I think this clock probably has a value of £30-50 but I am fascinated by the ingenuity and ability for a clock to function mechanically without electricity. I want to keep this baby alive! I don't feel it fits the 'disposable' category of throw away and cheaply replaced items.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJ007 View Post
    Thank you everyone for your items of information.
    Much appreciated.
    I have removed the gong stand to view it's reverse side, unfortunately it is flat and unmarked.
    The case looks veneered in oak so based on what you have said, the case is highly likely to be British.
    The movement has now stopped and the pendulum will not swing for long, so now I am emboldened to remove the movement from the case. I have been watching YouTube videos so am comfortable at the minimum to remove it.
    Once removed I will then inspect the movement and will then decide if I want to either get some of the clock maker tools and enjoy taking it apart etc or if I will just take it to the clockmakers for repair. Financially it does not make sense to have a clockmaker do a service as I think this clock probably has a value of £30-50 but I am fascinated by the ingenuity and ability for a clock to function mechanically without electricity. I want to keep this baby alive! I don't feel it fits the 'disposable' category of throw away and cheaply replaced items.

Invest in some clock oil and learn what needs to be oiled and what doesn't, so you can do some good when you have the movement out. It may just need to be wound up, but oiling it won't do any harm.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: F.B.Butlin, Watchmaker, Huddersfield, Napoleon mantle clock. Any information plea (By: harold bain)

The clock is wound.
    It ran for two days after I first received, fitted the pendulum and wound the clock.
    It only took a few winds till tight when received so I think it has sat partially wound with the pendulum removed for a long time.
    Because it only ran for two days before the pendulum stopped it did not take much winding till tight again. This time the pendulum stops within minutes.
    The pendulum's tick tock timing was audibly uneven from day one and I tried raising the clock on each side respectively with pennies, to no avail.
    On the two days that it did run, it lost perhaps 5 minutes a day but I can play around with the pendulum nut if I get the clock functioning again.
    The bearing holes that I can currently see while the movement is in the case look good and precise and not worn or egg shaped.
    I will acquire a suitable clock oil and apply the tiny amounts required if the whole movement looks to be without fault or excessive wear.
    Time will tell. Ha ha ha....