Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Need Help Identifying Recent purchase - Thought to be HAC

Hello, and Thanks for any help you might have in figuring out more details about the clock I found in an antique shop. It doesn't work, but I do have plans to remedy that.

I'm uploading a few photos, showing some details I haven't seemed to find ANYWHERE.... I did look at the back of the mechanism and found the crossed arrows, which leads me to believe it is an HAC clock. Please take a look, make any comments and hopefully I can get this sorted out.

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	335403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	377.9 KB 
ID:	335402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	335404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	335405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	335406  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0563.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	335407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0565.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	335408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0567.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	335409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0568.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	335410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 11.00.45 AM.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	335411  

Registered user.

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Recent purchase - Thought to be HAC

A few details:
    Parzival - 3 rod chimes
    Clock Face and dials are metal
    One photo shows the only real marking on the back of the clock, its a Gold stamped "26"
    Wood bead trim around perimeter of clock face, also painted gold
    Beveled lower glass
    In a separate photo of the back, I can barely see some markings, looks to be pencil. Cannot figure out what it says for sure, but I think there is a number "404" and possibly
    "lt. es
    Fisken(r)"
    Last edited by onthegosue; 03-05-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added detail

Welcome to the board.

If you found the crossed arrows (the one thing you didn't show us!) then yes, the movement is by HAC. HAC were taken over by Junghans in 1930 and I think your clock dates from around that time.

Parzifal-Gong was one of HAC's trade marks.

The pencilled marks on the back are of no significance - they may have been put on by a repairer in the past.

I have never seen a dial like that and it doesn't quite seem to fit the style of the case and date. Just because I haven't seen one doesn't necessarily mean it is a replacement, but I do wonder about it. Also the hands don't seem to be quite the right size for the dial.

The case looks in good condition.

Hope this helps.

JTD

Registered user.

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Recent purchase - Thought to be HAC (By: JTD)

Thank you! I've been online for days trying to get info. Would LOVE to find a catalog page with this clock. What are your thoughts on the stamped "26" on the back lower corner?

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Recent purchase - Thought to be HAC (By: JTD)

Hi, Onthegouse,

Ditto JTD's welcome. You'll find lots of help (and opinions) here on the Boards.

My thoughts, for what they're worth: The dial is quite reminiscent of the hand painted wooden dials used on early American clocks of the 1820-30s, an unusual style choice considering the case style. However, the overall look of the clock is quite acceptable to me. I do agree about the hands- they are seemingly sized inappropriately. HAC made good quality movements, and I'll wager that the three rod chimes sound wonderful. Enjoy your clock- the beveled glass is especially nice.

Warmest regards,

George Nelson
    Last edited by George Nelson; 03-05-2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Spelling, always spelling!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Recent purchase - Thought to be HAC (By: onthegosue)

Is the stamped 26 on the movement or the case? While it well could be the year it was made, it could also be an assembly number used by the factory to keep track of things.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Recent purchase - Thought to be HAC (By: onthegosue)

Thanks for all the greetings! And thank you for your time and comments. I have taken a few more pictures and will post soon.

Harold, the 26 is on the case in lower right corner. It is in gold paint, and does look to be the same gold used on the wood bread around the face and around the glass section.

I haven't been able to hear the chimes.... other than by manually striking then, which doesn't do them justice. The striking rod thingys are bent and out of position, but the heads on them are in decent shape and look to me (uneducated eye) to be original. Really looking forward to getting the clock operational.

Would anyone venture a guess at what repairs might cost? I know thats a bit of a loaded question, but figure longtime members have best guesses.

Thanks again everyone,
    Sue

Without knowing what is wrong with your clock (if indeed anything is wrong) it is very difficult to hazard a guess as to what the cost of repair might be. The pictures of the movement you have taken are from such odd angles and of such small portions that they are not very much help. If you can take the movement out of the case and let us see pictures of the whole thing, that would be better. How do you know the clock is not in working order?

The 'striking rod thingys' can easily be bent back into position (because you say they have heads I am assuming they are the strike hammers) if they are not hitting the gong.

You don't mention the pendulum, but I am assuming you have one. Why not put the clock up on the wall, attach the pendulum, wind the clock fully and set it going by giving the pendulum a gentle swing. Listen for an even tick-tock sound (if it's not even, the clock needs to be put in beat, which we can tell you how to do).

Once you tell us what happens when you do this, perhaps we can be of more help.

JTD

Registered user.

That sounds great!

I have wound it and have done what you recommended, it keeps time briefly but eventually (after only a couple hours) it slows and stops. I'm sorry I don't have the correct labels for parts, I know this makes it harder for you all to understand what I'm talking about. I'm working on it, reading lots.

I'm attaching more pics, really hope I'm able to give you the angle/s you need.
    Thanks again,
    SueClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	335786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	335787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	335788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	335789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg 
Size:	319.8 KB 
ID:	335790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	335791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0595.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	335792
    Last edited by onthegosue; 03-08-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Well, the clock needs cleaning and oiling but I still think it is probably out of beat. Go to the top of the page, click on Encyclopedia, then clock on Clock Repair, then click on Beat Setting 101 and follow the instructions.

It's hard to say what an overhaul would cost on your area, but if it goes for a couple of hours, it may not have anything too serious wrong with it. Go to several clock repairers (real ones, not the ones in the mall which change batteries and cut keys) and as them for an estimate.

JTD