Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Got Caught by Inexperience With New Clock (By: Special Ed)

Although it isn't old, it's still a decent looking clock. I've got a Montgomery Ward clock with the same movement that my Mother gave me in or around 1970. It's been in service, pretty much non stop for all these years, and you only have to wind it once a month! I did however have to replace the movement about 5 years ago.

Default Re: Got Caught by Inexperience With New Clock (By: Dave T)

Thank you, Dave. My nieces and nephews would think it's an ANCIENT clock LOL.

Mine may need some fixing up. I checked that it would run and chime on the hour and half hour but what I didn't find out until yesterday is that it only chimes the odd hours...twice. Meaning...at 5:00 it chimes 5 times and then at 6:00 it chimes 5 times and then at 7:00 it chimes 7 times (8:00 7 times and so on). It's really odd but since it's going into the spare bedroom where our guests won't want it chiming at all, I'm going to let the chime wind down until it stops and then not worry about it for the time being.

Registered user.

It would be a good idea to tie up the rack so it doen't
    fall.
    It looks like it has a safety spring on the end of the rack tail
    but it can still load down the clock enough to stall the time.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Got Caught by Inexperience With New Clock (By: Tinker Dwight)

Dwight, thank you. I will do as recommended.

I guess we've all been caught out at one time or another with buying something that wasn't what it seemed - I once bought a nice looking carriage clock bearing the name Charles Frodsham - thought it was a good price for a French made clock from around 1900, turned out it was made in the 1970s in Devon. So I put it back into the auction, this time with a proper description, and because it was a nice decorative clock I actually made my money back - less the commission...

Now a number of these 70's build Frodsham carriage clocks come up for sale each year, so I've followed their sales to see how they go. One sold last week - the auctioneer described it as a "minute repeater" despite the fact that in correspondence he agreed that it only repeated the hours. It was simply the standard 1970's product, but someone bought it for a lot of money, at least 3-4 times the price it should have sold for, presumably simply based on the auction description without checking it out themselves. They'll be pissed when they get that one home.

So, if you had no scruples you could pass it on to the local auction house with some story about remembering Grandpa working on it many years ago - there's plenty that do.. Otherwise, enjoy working on the clock, and don't forget the lesson!

Registered user.

Default Re: Got Caught by Inexperience With New Clock (By: zedric)

We had one person a while back that had a Colonial mfg clock, that was obviously
    made around the middle of the 1920's.
    She said that it had been passed down as an antique, made sometime
    in the 1870's or so.
    She said we were calling her ancestors lyers. We suggest that there was some
    mistake. She went away, clearly insulted.
    It takes all kinds.
    Tinker Dwight

Hi, Clock Collecting Friends,

One thing worth mentioning about this clock and its particular movement: be certain to examine both winding clicks! I have had two of these clocks over the years, given to me by friends who were certain that they were old, and who bought them as gifts for me at a good price, thinking they had found true bargains.

Anyway, I have found that on the two examples with this same movement, the clicks were factory "lubricated" with something other than oil. Apparently, some type of thin petroleum jelly product was used instead. The problem here is that this jelly lubricant gets thick over the years, and messes up the click. On two occasions with both clocks, I was winding them and the clicks failed to lock into place. The results, of course, were disastrous!

In the first case, the spring exploded out the side of the case, destroying the clock and giving me a couple of very sore fingers! One would think that I would have learned from my first experience, but no, idiot me did not properly clean and oil the other clock to correct the problem. I didn't keep them running much, only winding them when the friends who gave me the clocks were coming over for a visit.

So, in the second case, I was happily winding away when the click on this second clock also got stuck, this time both destroying the clock and breaking two of my fingers! Pieces of the schoolhouse-style case were all over the room. My fingers were in casts for five weeks, making it difficult at best to wind any of my clocks. (My beloved wife, a genuine treasure but not a clock fan, most wholeheartedly appreciated the weeks of silence in the house.) In both cases, the clicks failed when the movements were almost fully wound. Thirty one day movements both, with large, powerful springs. Sigh...

In conclusion, let me say: Enjoy your clock, for it is indeed attractive, but do please check on the winding clicks every now and then. Hopefully, yours is lubricated with the proper oil and not some "junk jelly." If not, clean it off with alcohol and lubricate with a proper clock oil.

Peace and happy, healthy fingers to all,

George Nelson
    Last edited by George Nelson; 03-07-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling: any vs ant. Spellchecker didn't help!

Registered user.

Default Re: Got Caught by Inexperience With New Clock (By: George Nelson)

One thing to do is listen to your clock while winding.
    You should hear a good solid click. A soft sound can be an
    indication of problems.
    Tinker Dwight

Well said, Tinker Dwight! I should have been listening as I wound-I certainly have enough experience to know better!

Best to all,

George

Default Re: Got Caught by Inexperience With New Clock (By: George Nelson)

Thank you for the stories and the lessons learned.

zedric, I do (lucky for other collectors) have scruples and they're especially scruply when it comes to collecting. Last year I shredded a David Burliuk painting I bought (sold as real Burliuk) after learning it was a forgery simply because I felt it was my duty to remove this fake art work from existence rather than allowing it to cause more problems later. I think it does a disservice to the artist to allow people to pass off forgeries as the real thing.

I bought the clock because I thought it was a nice looking clock and sounded wonderful. Yeah, it isn't 120 years old but neither am I so it's ok in my book

George - thank you for the story. I hope I have now learned from your very painful mistake. I will take yours and Dwight's advice and listen.

Dwight - I do recall it sounding crisp when I wound it the other day but I'll check it again when next I wind her up.

Registered user.

Also, back it down onto the click slowly. Take your time winding.
    You don't want to tempt the click to fail by pounding it.
    Think in terms of your finger between the click and ratchet
    when you back off after each wind.
    Tinker Dwight

Again, perfect advice from Tinker!!! Well said again.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    Hi all,

Well...I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later so since it happened sooner, I hope I can learn from this. I saw this pretty drop clock in the antique mall today and fell in love. Looks old, smells old and everything was working so I figured I'd take a chance at $90. The seller wasn't in the store so I couldn't remove the face to check the movement.

When I got it home and opened it up...Made in Korea! Ugh. And the face plate is taped to the ring. I could have sworn this was an old clock because the coil for the chime looked old and the case looks really old. Did I just get a case that has a modern movement installed? Does this case look familiar to anyone? I haven't been able to find one like it yet.

Any advice for avoiding this in the future if I can't take the face plate off and check the movement?

Thanks,
    John

Here's a picture of a clock that I had a few years back that I believe was of Japanese origin. And it did have a nice old movement. I'm just comparing clock cases now and yours seems very similar to this one? Anyway, I think your carved clock case is a good looking one, but I'd throw a different pair of hands on the dial.

Blindraccoon aka Laurie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Figure 8 Clock.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Got Caught by Inexperience With New Clock (By: blindraccoon)

Japanese clocks are as well made as many American made clocks, there is a big difference beteen Japanese and Korean made clocks. I personally like Japanese clocks.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Got Caught by Inexperience With New Clock (By: Kevin W.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W. View Post
    Japanese clocks are as well made as many American made clocks, there is a big difference beteen Japanese and Korean made clocks. I personally like Japanese clocks.
    Kevin, I agree. I too like Japanese clocks... but they often get a bad rap.