Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Need help identifying French alabaster clock

Need a little help identifying this Alabaster shelf clock. I believe it is French. I am having trouble getting a clear shot of the trademark since the gong and crutch are in the way but I hope a partial capture of the trademark will help with an ID. It is something...Deposee. If not I can take the movement out of it's case. The movement is removed by a number of bolts on the bottom of the case. Under the trademark are the numbers 3851 on left side of the back plate and 55 on the right. The clock is 11 inches high by 8 inches wide by 5 inches deep. Approximate age?

The clock is not without it's issues. The strike side does not work. I can feel the tension of the spring when I put the key in the arbor but the spring does not engage - there is no clicking. There are one or two issues with the case that I will address in the Case Restoration forum. Otherwise the time side is working nicely.

It is very heavy.

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RS French mantel.jpg   RS mantel clock.jpg   RS mantel clock2.jpg  

Default Re: Need help identifying French alabaster clock (By: Rockin Ronnie)

Note that the term "Marque Deposee" is French for trademark. So, more information is needed. You might search the forum for "Deposee" and see what pops that is similar.

Kurt

Default Re: Need help identifying French alabaster clock (By: KurtinSA)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtinSA View Post
    Note that the term "Marque Deposee" is French for trademark. So, more information is needed. You might search the forum for "Deposee" and see what pops that is similar.

Kurt
    Thanks Kurt, I also just realized that when I did a Google translate. Marti seems to come up a lot when I search the forum. Would these two photos help?

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RS access door.jpg   RS movement2.jpg  

Hi Ronnie,

You may have to remove the gong block to see the company's trademark.

The early clocks were actually made from Belgium slate.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: Need help identifying French alabaster clock (By: Andy Dervan)

Hi,
    The approximate date of the clock is 1880-1900. We will need to see that stamp clearly in order to identify the manufacturer.
    Regards.

Default Re: Need help identifying French alabaster clock (By: Ticktocktime100)

It is a French marble clock probably late 19th C. I used to own a clock with the same mark on the backplate but I was never able to attribute it to any maker. The 5 5 is the pendulum length as in 5 and 5/12 French inches.
    Jonathan.

Default Re: Need help identifying French alabaster clock (By: jmclaugh)

Thanks Jonathan and Ticktocktime100.

I also discovered that taking the movement out of the case requires undoing the two screws that go through the back bezel into the brass straps that protrude through the case from the front bezel. Andy suggests the gong block as a possible location of the maker's mark. I may take the movement out to have a look. The numbers, 3851, on the back plate are identical to the numbers on the pendulum.

Ron

I think Andy meant that you would have to move the gong block in order to see the maker's mark on the back plate of the movement.

If you just loosen the nut on the bottom of the case you can swing the gong out of the way, if you don't want to take out out.

Yes, to remove the movement, you just undo the two screws that hold the straps and then pull the movement out from the front.

JTD

Default Re: Need help identifying French alabaster clock (By: JTD)

Quote Originally Posted by JTD View Post
    I think Andy meant that you would have to move the gong block in order to see the maker's mark on the back plate of the movement.

If you just loosen the nut on the bottom of the case you can swing the gong out of the way, if you don't want to take out out.

Yes, to remove the movement, you just undo the two screws that hold the straps and then pull the movement out from the front.

JTD
    Yes, I realize that now.