Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: My 70th clock

Registered user.

Default My 70th clock

I got this off of Facebook. I don't know much about these but I know that some had these modern movements in them. The movement was made in 93' and is a hermle. It runs well though I will pull it for a good cleaning. Hopefully someone will have some info about this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0360.jpg   IMG_0361.jpg  

Default Re: My 70th clock (By: Jasons34)

This case design has had a very long run. Gilbert used it for the model they called "Alexis," which appeared in their 1910 catalog. I think I have also seen French versions, which might be a bit earlier. This is a view of my "Alexis." It came with a replaced electric movement; I have since obtained the proper Gilbert 3-plate movement.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0099.jpg  
    Jeremy

Registered user.

Default Re: My 70th clock (By: Jeremy Woodoff)

I've done google searches for "3 piece clock set" and looked at pictures of mine. I've seen sold listings as well as current listings on eBay of this exact same clock where it has a French movement as well as the sold listing which had this hermle movement which went for a great price. I just don't understand why some have the older movement and others have the Hermle. Could it have been that the older wore out and hermle made direct fit replacements?

Registered user.

So I finally found some info about these. What I have is a repo which is why it has a hermle movement but also found out that these repos are very well made and still fetch a lot of money. But I still don't know who made these repos. Was it hermle? The inside of the case says it's made in italy

I think your entire set is modern repro., contemporary with the date of the movement. These are quite popular in some
    european countries, particularly Italy.

JTD

Jason beat me to the send button!

Registered user.

Default Re: My 70th clock (By: JTD)

I'm still very happy with the purchase. Only cost me $65 and there is no damage to the case. The movement is in great shape though I need to tweak the one hammer as it's hardly hitting the bell. I'm going to pull the movement and check it over. I had wanted to put this in my living room but the boss (my wife obviously) said and I quote "oh my god that thing is hideous". So I had to put it in my basement on the half wall. I saw this exact clock (and movement) sold in north wales for just under $600. Nice to know these repos still sell well. I'm fine with repos as long as they are quality builds