Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Comtoise Movements

Hello
    Did comtoise make time only movements with short pendulums?
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Comtoise Movements (By: garyg)

Comtoise is not a maker, it refers rather to a style of clock made in the Jura area of France by lots of different makers. These are also sometimes called Morbier clocks.

As far as I am aware they were always with long pendulums, one of the characteristics of a comtoise, sometimes with a wooden case, sometimes without.

I have never seen a time-only comtoise.

JTD

Default Re: Comtoise Movements (By: JTD)

Yes, there are time-only comtoises, they are rare and intended as regulators or for train stations. Mostly they use pin-wheel escapement and have center seconds hand. But all of them sport long and heavy pendulums, not short ones...

Regards,

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: Comtoise Movements (By: ballistarius)

Thanks for that information - good to know.

JTD

Default Re: Comtoise Movements (By: JTD)

My pleasure!
    For instance, this caseless movement (unfortunately, not mine...)

Regards,

Aitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2111E1.jpg   2111E2.jpg   2111E7.jpg  
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Comtoise style movement photos. Maybe when you see this movement.
    You will know why I ask the question. Please let me know if you recognize
    this clock or mov't. I have a long pendulum mobier. This mov't sure looks like it.
    Check out case pendulum door. I did not get a pendulum with clock.

Thank you very much for your replies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1045.jpg   IMG_1046.jpg   IMG_1047.jpg   IMG_1048.jpg   IMG_1049.jpg  

IMG_1050.jpg   IMG_1051.jpg   IMG_1052.jpg  

garig,
    'Comtoise' or 'Morbier' is associated with weight driven clocks produced in the Jura region of France. In that same region, they made spring driven movements too, sometimes referred as 'Morez'. They have short pendulums with small brass bobs and yours is one of them. Your kind of case is known as an oeil-de-boeuf one.
    For your clock, they used a standard cage intended for housing two trains, but only installed a going train with a single barrel in the middle.
    The left, caseless, one in the pic is also a Morez. While I find (no hurry...) a suitable pendulum, I've just put an American clock bob hanging at the end of a wire of suitable length. It keeps the time perfectly. Yours is in far better condition, congrats!
    Regards,

Aitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trio.jpg  

Truly appreciated my friend. Thanks a million for your valuable time and information.
    gary

I'm always glad of being of some help here at the MB It is the least thing I can do in exchange for all the help I've received from all the fantastic people here!
    Regards,

Aitor

Registered user.

Hi, The above reply is correct, that late in the history of the comtoise clocks, they started making spring driven clocks with short pendulums to be used in hanging wall clocks. I attached 2 pictures, one showing the back and one the pendulum. Charlse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2050.JPG   IMG_2052.JPG  

Default Re: Comtoise Movements (By: laumeg)

Hello again. What is approximate pendulum length your clock runs at. Approx Weight. Appears I may have to remove the movement again to get clock to run. No space for anything but very short pendulum.
    Thank You

Registered user.

Hi, There is no length to it. There is a rod through it for adjustment, but there is a hook af the end which is right at the edge of the bob. It is fairly heavy, but do not have it with me right now to be able to weigh it. You should not have to remove the clock because you should be able to see the the bottom edge of the suspension rod of the movement. It just has a small hole and you hook it on. For trial and error you might get a fairly heavy fishing weight and make a hook on the end and try that. It will be fairly equivalent to the bob I have. Charles

Default Re: Comtoise Movements (By: laumeg)

You might also try using/adapting a spare lead weighted, brass face convex bob from an old German mantel clock.
    As Laumeg said there is no real length to the bob assembly . A lot of those old mantel clock bobs were very similar. Just the bob with rod and screw adjustment. Aim for a larger size if possible to give you a bit of weight.
    You will also find that type of movement in the some French wall clocks, some times described as " Bakers Clocks" .Many have the black wooden frame surround with painted and some times inlaid area around the dial.
    I love them . They were built like tanks..!!

Aitor
    What is the clock on the right? I have never seen a clock like that with weights in that position.
    Patrick

Default Re: Comtoise Movements (By: paddy2042)

Patrick,
    It is an American woodworks movement, without its case. It's placed (permanently) in a modern test stand. Pulleys for the weights are a constant in early American weight driven shelf clocks, as a means of increasing the going time up to the minimum of 30 hours.

Aitor