Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default New member - First Post - Ethan Allen wall clock

I have recently purchased this Ethan Allen clock from a guy that was leaving the country. I personally like the shape of the clock and have had it for several months. After the snail and gear not dropping enough to count the correct hour; I removed the Hermle movement #351-020 and gave it a nice bath and new oiling. I have ordered a new wooden pendulum and bob, would like to get an idea of length of the pendulum if that is possible.
    I do not know about the history of the clock, but would like to know what the forum folks know about this clock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	335116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	335117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3198.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	311.9 KB 
ID:	335118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3194.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	422.5 KB 
ID:	335119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3201.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	555.6 KB 
ID:	335120

I hope these images will show up

Regards,
    fathertimeKS

Default Re: New member - First Post - Ethan Allen wall clock (By: FatherTimeKS)

I hope the clocks bushes look cleaner after you washed it. At a guess without any other reasoning it is probably a Hermle. Are the pivots chromed?

The Hermle 351-020 was/is available in 11, 15, 25, 31, 32, 34, 38, 43, 45, 48, 55, 66, 75 cm pendulum lengths. Your movement should state on the lower right of the rear plate the pendulum length e.g. PL38cm. There are 2.54cm to the inch.

Default Re: New member - First Post - Ethan Allen wall clock (By: upstateny)

Pretty sure your plate says 45 cm \ 101.9 -

Is your current pendulum not right ?
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Your clock was made in 1973, so amy need more than just a clean and oiling.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: New member - First Post - Ethan Allen wall clock (By: harold bain)

The pendulum is rated as 45cm but I don't know from where it is measured.
    The pendulum length is specified in the manufacturers drawings for the
    movement. It is likely from the top of the suspension to the rating nut.
    It is not a value intended to be used for replacing the pendulum but
    a number to be used for the cabinet maker to determine the clearance.
    If the pendulum you have now is keeping correct time, it is the right length.
    For timing, the pendulum is measured from about the center of the
    bob to about half way of the suspension spring. A larger or smaller
    diameter bob then is not an issue.
    A gidiron type will need to be longer because of the added weight towards
    the center of the pendulum will speed it up a little.
    One question: What did you use to give it a bath. If you used a water based
    cleaner, you must disassemble the springs and clean them separately or
    the springs will rust over time. This can cause serious spring failure that
    will damage the movement.
    Cleaners were not really intended to be dunk and swish.
    Also, the term, good oiling often indicates that you oiled everything that
    is moving. Oiling lever pivots will cause problems when the oil dries
    and thickens. Only 360 degree rotation part are to be oiled.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: New member - First Post - Ethan Allen wall clock (By: Tinker Dwight)

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your input and advice! I neglected to mention that I DID remove the 3 Barrel springs before submersing the movement into a solution. I have used Clockworks cleaning concentrated ammonia solution they sell. I did rinse the movement in warm water, pat dry, and used a hair dryer to further dry. I then re-oiled all rotating points only.
    I do not know if the pivot point are chromed? They do not appear so.
    I'm not sure if the pendulum is the original, when ordering a new suspension spring, I found that the bob they recommended for the movement number did not match my current bob dia. so I ordered a wood stick type pendulum with a slightly larger dia. bob. I'm planning on seeing if I can use this instead, but will plan on doing some experimenting with length.
    I have been into clocks for many years, and I'm starting my collection of "tools" to do some basic repairs, although I currently do not have any type of ultra-sonic type cleaner tank.. My next step is to take a junk movement apart and re-assemble.

Soon I will post some pictures of a cuckoo clock I installed a new movement into it...

Again, Thanks so much for your responses, it is much appreciated; lots to learn!

FatherTimeKS,

Welcome to the world of this message board and all of the truly wonderful advice and information you will get from it! There are true experts here, always at the ready to help you out with even the most seemingly obscure question! It seems that you, like many here, have been collecting for a long time, quietly learning on your own about our beloved time tellers. What you will find here is a wealth of information and sometimes differing opinions about everything horological. What I love about the differing opinions part is that situations like this enable a person to see things from different angles- many times the truth can be found in the middle, as is said.

Anyway, forgive my intrusion, but I did want to extend to you a heartfelt welcome, given from one who has learned about three million dollars worth of information about the clocks in his collection! Do post often, ask any question on your mind, and share with everyone what you have learned, accomplished and added to your collection. We all love to hear anything you have to share!

Warmest regards,

George Nelson (Someone who has benefited immeasurably from this board)