Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Adjust Second Hand on Grandfather Clock?

Hi again folks!

Can anyone tell me if and/or how I should adjust the second hand on my Howard Miller Grandfather clock? An example of what I'd like to adjust is, as the clock begins its chiming/striking sequence at midnight or noon, the hour and minute hands point perfectly straight up, but the second hand lags 8 seconds and points at 11:59:52.

My specifics are:
    Howard Miller M#610-587 "Roosevelt"
    S#F0082660052 (1998)
    Kieninger #354-411
    KSU60, 116cm
    3 weights
    Cable driven
    Moon dial
    H, M, S hands
    3 Chimes, plus Silent
    Strike, Silent, NightOff

Is this a matter of just advancing somehow the second hand so it too points straight up (and what precautions need I observe)? Or is this a matter of the second hand being the controlling factor and the hour and minute hands need to be adjusted "backwards" once the second hand is at 12:00:00 per the instructions for adjusting hour and minute hands in my manual?

And speaking of precision, and moon dials, how precise can the moon dial setting be? This month's full moon (March 2017) where I live (San Francisco) will be March 12 at 07:53 PDT. Does setting the moon dial as instructed at that precise time make any difference or is setting it only accurate to the day as represented by clicks when adjusting the dial?

Thanks in advance for any help you can be with those various questions!

Best, Kevin

Registered user.

Default Re: Adjust Second Hand on Grandfather Clock? (By: Argyle)

Second hands are usually friction fit. Just pull it of and let the clock run
    until it starts the chime. Block the pendulum and put the second hand
    back on where you'd like.
    Some moon dials only advance once a day while others advance twice
    a day. It won't be any more accurate than 1/2 day at best.
    The dial will drift off by 1 day in about 80 years.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Adjust Second Hand on Grandfather Clock?

One other thought about the second hand here. Am I right in thinking that not all tall case clocks have a true, one second advance of the seconds hand or beat? If I am right about this, then it would not be possible to use the second hand as a true indicator of each second. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Also, while Tinker Dwight is quite correct in pointing out that the second hand is usually friction fit, do remember that it is attached directly to the escape wheel, and extreme care must be employed in its removal and re-installation. I learned this lesson the hard way, while one time actually bending the escape wheel arbor when pressing too hard to re-install an errant second hand.

Best,

George
    Last edited by George Nelson; 03-02-2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Add warning information

Registered user.

Default Re: Adjust Second Hand on Grandfather Clock? (By: George Nelson)

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post
    One other thought about the second hand here. Am I right in thinking that not all tall case clocks have a true, one second advance of the seconds hand or beat? If I am right about this, then it would not be possible to use the second hand as a true indicator of each second. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Best,

George

That is true for many older clocks but I'm relatively sure this clock
    has a one second beat pendulum.
    In any case it points up for the chime.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Adjust Second Hand on Grandfather Clock? (By: George Nelson)

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post

Best,

George

In most such clocks the second hand translates each drop off of an escape wheel tooth.

Default Re: Adjust Second Hand on Grandfather Clock?

Thanks everyone. Here's what I found to be the case should you want to advise others on this movement model: Indeed, the second hand is friction fit. The second hand is permanently affixed to a long, thin, hollow tube (perhaps an inch long) that fits snugly over a stud/pin inside the movement. Pulling it off was a piece of cake, but getting it back on took a lot of brain power and dexterity as aligning the tube with the pin/stud when you can't see it was a bit tricky.

And yes, this movement moves the second hand one second with every tick/tock. That is, there is one second between the tick and the tock as the pendulum swings back and forth. Sixty swings in a minute. I'm guessing that that's what the '60' of the KSU60 movement designation means.

-Kevin

Registered user.

Default Re: Adjust Second Hand on Grandfather Clock? (By: Argyle)

I honestly don't know why you bothered, as soon as you adjust the minute hand to correct a gain or loss or time the seconds hand will be out of sync again, this is not a quartz clock where you can precisely stop and start on the second.