Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please

My English tall case clock is missing about a 6" section of a small piece of decorative mahogany trim. The profile is 5/16". Anyone have a similar piece or know where I might find one?

[ATTACH=CONClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1475.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	334944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	334945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	334946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	334947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	334948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	334949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	334950FIG]334944[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	334945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	334946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	334947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	334948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	334949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	334950

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: PaulWeber)

How about a view of the whole clock?
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Registered user.

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: THTanner)

I'm not sure what is missing?
    I'm sure the pictures look obvious to Paul but I don't get it.
    Tinker Dwight

I think it is a piece of molding in Picture 11. Note the missing piece on the side between the middle and the back of the case.

Is this clock mahogany or English Oak?

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: Dick C)

It looks like Oak with maybe Mahogany Columns?
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: BLKBEARD)

Most of my pictures show the (horizontal) trim which is still on the case, and which I need to duplicate to cover a gap where it has broken off at some point in time. Only pictures 5 and 11 show the actual section where the trim is missing (along the back left side of the upper case). I believe the case is mostly oak with some inlay and mahogany veneer strips here and there. I think (but I'm not sure) the small section of missing trim is mahogany as well. Someone wanted to see the whole clock. Here it is.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1356.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	334985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1357.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	334986

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please

Thanks - beautiful clock

so the piece you need looks like a 1/2 round trim piece with a flat edge that fits into the groove along the side toward the back?

old and hard mahogany is not easy to find where I live unless you get some old furniture to take a piece from. It doesn't look too hard to make and match to the piece next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWeber View Post
    Most of my pictures show the (horizontal) trim which is still on the case, and which I need to duplicate to cover a gap where it has broken off at some point in time. Only pictures 5 and 11 show the actual section where the trim is missing (along the back left side of the upper case). I believe the case is mostly oak with some inlay and mahogany veneer strips here and there. I think (but I'm not sure) the small section of missing trim is mahogany as well. Someone wanted to see the whole clock. Here it is.....
    Last edited by THTanner; 03-01-2017 at 09:50 PM.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Registered user.

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: THTanner)

I see it now but I think one could show it better at some other angles.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: Tinker Dwight)

Please bear in mind that I'm trying to show what I need, and not necessarily the place it needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWeber View Post
    Please bear in mind that I'm trying to show what I need, and not necessarily the place it needs to go. ������
    There are many pieces of trim, so where it needs to go narrows down the type of trim you are searching for.

The posters here are attempting to help by understanding the profile of the type of trim you are asking for.

Good luck with your search

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: Dick C)

Paul, try a hobby shop that specializes in stick-built plank on frame model boats/ships. They usually have a good selection of mahogany on hand. If it is English oak then your search will be more difficult.

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: upstateny)

Paul, I think your trim is oak, not mahogany. At least some of it is oak......

Registered user.

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: Jim DuBois)

I'll throw in my two cents and start off by saying I am a woodworker. None of that is mahogany. The main parts of the case are quarter sawn oak. The trim pieces are regular oak.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: Jasons34)

I agree with Jasons34, i have a quarter sawn oak case on my gf clock, looks the same.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: I need a very small piece of mahogany trim, please (By: Kevin W.)

It's easy to pick out quarter sawn oak wood simply by looking at the blotches along the wood. Sometimes it's very blotchy and other times there are a lot of tiny blotches. But I'll also throw in that case is most likely white oak. It's very hard to get ahold of quarter sawn red oak because it's really not worth it. Besides white oak is a lot more expensive than red oak. White oak is a lot better for staining because the grain is closed. On red oak the grain on a surface will not be smooth. You can actually use your nail to feel the openness of the grain. That is why a lot of furniture makers will seal or at least apply a heavy first coat of top coat to fill in those voids. Also an easy way to tell the difference between mahogany and oak is by their grain. Mahogany grain is very narrow and and kinda spotty whereas oak has wide black grain