Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Newly acquired Ansonia

Just acquired this Ansonia kitchen at an auction and was wondering what the model and appox. date it was made. There is a picture of what is left of the tag on the back. also does anyone have any ideal what the metal object is that is leaning on it. Does it go with this clock or is it for a clock at all. Thank you in advance for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3566.jpg   IMG_3567.jpg   IMG_3568.jpg   IMG_3569.jpg   IMG_3570.jpg  

IMG_3571.jpg  

Default Re: Newly acquired Ansonia (By: dg23662)

Quote Originally Posted by dg23662 View Post
    Just acquired this Ansonia kitchen at an auction and was wondering what the model and appox. date it was made. There is a picture of what is left of the tag on the back. also does anyone have any ideal what the metal object is that is leaning on it. Does it go with this clock or is it for a clock at all. Thank you in advance for any help.
    Hi dg, I don't have an Ansonia 'book' here so I can't answer your question pertaining to model, but I will say that you acquired one very
    n-i-c-e mantle/kitchen clock! I've never seen the fancy brass appliques that your clock displays. Really pretty and quite eye-catching!

Blindraccoon aka Laurie

Default Re: Newly acquired Ansonia

Hi, dg

I agree totally with Laurie- your clock is a wonderful example! Very nice, and a bit uncommon. One often sees the typical "parlor" clock, but this one is very well executed, and, as mentioned, the brass adornments are both detailed and quite complimentary to the overall look. Typically, brass or metal add-on pieces seem to be an afterthought, applied solely to increase a first impression, not necessarily a true compliment to the case design itself. In the case of your clock, the decorations are quite well done, and truly enhance the overall appearance of the piece.

As for the metal item you ask about, it does not go with your clock, but seems to me to be part of the top of an anniversary-type clock, the kind with the rotating pendulum and usually presented under a protective glass dome.

Lacking an Ansonia catalog, my personal estimate as to age would be late 1800s, most likely 1890 through possibly 1910 or so.

Enjoy your clock-she is indeed a beauty!

Warmest regards,

George Nelson
    Last edited by George Nelson; 03-01-2017 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Add info

Default Re: Newly acquired Ansonia (By: George Nelson)

I'll be interested when you figure it out. If you don't want to buy a book just for this one clock, I'd recommend going to your local library and seeing if they can do an interlibrary loan for the Tran Duy Ly book on Ansonia or for some old Ansonia catalogues. That's how I dated my two Ansonia clocks.