Goal: $300, Received: $135.00 (45%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Toolmakers lathe (By: wefalck)

Hi wefalck,

... or even better a backgeared 90ME headstock with a collet-taking spindle...
    The collet adaptor for the 90ME is part R17.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Registered user.

Default Re: Toolmakers lathe (By: gmorse)

This must have been added, after I last looked several years ago. In any case it is not for the WW-collets.

Default Re: Toolmakers lathe

Quote Originally Posted by karlmansson View Post
    I live in an apartment and so space is a very limiting factor. My father on the other hand has been getting more and more as us kids have moved out. He has been talking about getting a precision toolmakers lathe for some time now and I'm sort of in it with him. At this point I think my understanding of these machines has surpassed his and I try to aid him in what to look for. He has an old Myford with a bent leadscrew lying around without much tooling for it and no base. So he's looking to get something useable.

I found an old Boley toolroom lathe at an online auction in Sweden the other day. It was similar to a 5LZ but still different in many ways. Came with a comprehensive set of collets and gears for thread cutting. 15 instead of the standard 25 for the 5LZ. The machine weighs close to 800kgs though as everything is cast iron and he didn't like the look of it. Lots of grime and some surface rust. I tried convincing him that for the price and accessories it was still a very good fixer upper (about 1300 dollars). He decided to pass on it, I even came close to buying it for myself but I have no place to keep it.

This leads me to the question at hand: do you gentlemen have any suggestions on what to look for? I hear Myford in general is popular. And Altas. I'm looking for a metric machine that is well thought out, takes collets and is easily equippable. Should I avoid plain bearings? Are they harder to service/replace than rollers?

Surface rust on a machine this size, how much of a complicating factor is it?
    On this machine the rusted surfaces were the ones people had touched a lot. Outside of chuck, handwheels etc. The bed looked terrible at first look but I think it was just grease and dust. Still, 800kgs is a lot to move around and moved around it would have to be until his workshop is completed. That lathe is gone now though so I'd just like some pointers on what to keep my eyes open for!

Best regards
    Karl
    Karl
    No one Lathe will do everything in a general purpose home shop.

For a larger Lathe I would suggest a Emco Maier Maximate Super 11.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page6.html

It will take standard tooling for this type and size of lathe as well as out perform almost all others of similar size and weight.

It will perform all work down to and be seamless with a Sherline/Cowells size machine.

Jerry Kieffer

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Toolmakers lathe (By: Jerry Kieffer)

Thank you for all your input gentlemen!
    He finally decided to go with a restored Blomqvist BS600K. He had one at work for a long time (he's a medical engineer) and has something of a relationship to them. This one happened to be in very good
    shape and was repainted in its original colour. My father had real problems passing it up.

It has a quick change gearbox and metric leadscrews. It is essentially a modified South Bend 9" lathe manufactured in Sweden. The "K" designation means "kullager", ball bearings. This one has a set of collets and a lever closing headstock as well, a bit unusual if I'm not mistaken. I think it will suit
    him well!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	340335   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	102 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	340336   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	105 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	340337  
    Last edited by karlmansson; 04-15-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Toolmakers lathe (By: karlmansson)

This is not a BS600 after all. The 600 doesn't have the gear box. Not sure exactly what model this is or how relevant it is to people outiside of Sweden. Eller vad säger du Skutt?

Default Re: Toolmakers lathe (By: Moebius)

For 30K or more the last time i checked their prices on a Bergeon lathe it better not come with chopsticx but at least it looks stronger than the typical euro lathe.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Toolmakers lathe (By: Firegriff)

Not really sure what you are replying to here Firegriff...? The above lathe is not a Bergeon but a Blomqvist. Swedish made. It's 90cm between centers,

nice lathe ,I hope it runs as good as it looks

Nice lathe! I wish that I could afford one.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Toolmakers lathe (By: Accutronica)

Yeah, it wasn't the cheapest one around but considering the amount of work the previous owner put into it I'd say it was fair.
    My dad has been talking about one like this that was really nice they "got away" so strangely enough it had sentimental value right off the bat.

He says I'm welcome to use it so hopefully I can get back to you with a report once he gets it up and running.

Registered user.

Yep, looks like a nice piece of old-time engineering. The Norton-gearbox will be useful, when you frequently cut threads.

A lever-collet closer usually indicates a production lathe, meaning that you can open and close the collet while the lathe is still running. The multiple carriage stop also points in that direction.