Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Blog Entries

Default To knob or not to knob...

I just picked up a Jeromes & Darrow, which has a keyhole with escutcheon (which is missing and needs replacement). Initial thread here: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...-Jerome-Darrow

There was a knob just below the keyhole. The photo shows the hole from the knob, which I removed for working on the door in general. The knob looks like a turned wooden knob, but I think it is actually ceramic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170224_195014.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	465.9 KB 
ID:	334698

The question is, was the knob original, or does it have to go?

Thanks,
    Tom

Default Re: To knob or not to knob... (By: gleber)

I'd suggest that it is best to leave well alone. Not all clocks have a knob here but it is probably very useful and if not original then a clever addition by someone who cared for their work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    I'd suggest that it is best to leave well alone. Not all clocks have a knob here but it is probably very useful and if not original then a clever addition by someone who cared for their work.
    I'm not sure if it was the same person, but the protruding veneer chip in the top center in the photo is glued on rotated by 90 degrees. So, someone didn't care too much about their work... I have since fixed that (a near perfect fit when done correctly) and would prefer to restore it faithfully.

It is nice to get your opinion of how to handle it, but I would also like to know if the knob is original or not regardless of how I proceed from here.

Tom

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

I would guess the knob was added to make the door easier to open after the lock was removed. None of mine have anything like that.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Thanks Harold. The lock is still there, but the escutcheon is missing. In fact, when I picked it up, the door was locked and the key is missing, so it was sort of a mystery gift. I was hoping to find a stash of cash inside, but only found the weights and two winding keys, but no pendulum bob. I would have said they lost the key and added the knob, but then the knob would not do any good if the door was locked. So it is still sort of a mystery, but I tend to agree that the knob was a later addition.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by gleber View Post
    I'm not sure if it was the same person, but the protruding veneer chip in the top center in the photo is glued on rotated by 90 degrees. So, someone didn't care too much about their work... I have since fixed that (a near perfect fit when done correctly) and would prefer to restore it faithfully.

It is nice to get your opinion of how to handle it, but I would also like to know if the knob is original or not regardless of how I proceed from here.

Tom
    Yes. All good points. The reseller may have locked the door with his own key to prevent it falling open?.

Default Re: To knob or not to knob... (By: roughbarked)

I vote definitely no knob. I have a Daniel Pratt where someone had screwed-in a small brass knob (an old one) below the keyhole escutcheon, and it just really detracted from the overall look of the clock. I like to keep the keys in the lock with a tassel attached. The locks on these clocks are so simple that they can't easily malfunction or break, so ending up with a permanently locked door is very much unlikely to happen. I use the key every time I need to open the door. I find it much more satisfying.

Blog Entries

Default Re: To knob or not to knob... (By: Sooth)

Quote Originally Posted by Sooth View Post
    I vote definitely no knob. I have a Daniel Pratt where someone had screwed-in a small brass knob (an old one) below the keyhole escutcheon, and it just really detracted from the overall look of the clock. I like to keep the keys in the lock with a tassel attached. The locks on these clocks are so simple that they can't easily malfunction or break, so ending up with a permanently locked door is very much unlikely to happen. I use the key every time I need to open the door. I find it much more satisfying.
    I agree that the knob does detract from the look, which is a reason I suspected it is not original. But, I did want to ask rather than assume. The consensus is building for no knob.

Now the question is how to remove the evidence of it... I'm pretty good at matching color, but have more trouble matching the finish or sheen.

Tom