Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Bulle - I'm not exactly sure what I bought

The movement is of a configuration I haven't see before, so I bought it to investigate.

There are so many funky things about it - I'm not sure where to start any commentary. Its almost like someone built a frankenclock out of some Bulle parts.

1 - What is going on with the crown wheel and pawl being positioned where they are? And its single pawl with no lockout mechanism to keep the from advancing multiple times per swing.

2 - Is the fork a later one, a really early one, or what?

3 - The rate adjuster weight - aluminum? And it has a retainer to keep it from walking (which is a problem I've had with early Bulle's).

Geez, I could go on and on as to the oddities.

There are detail elements to the clock that are definite Bulle like most of the nuts and screws, yet other nuts and screws look like something from the local hardware store. And there are stacks of washers used to set the spacing on the permanent magnet.

And then some of the wiring looks completely original.

The base is Bakelite which would tell me that this must be a later clock (say late 40's to 50's). So maybe I'm just experiencing my first exposure to a late Bulle.

Peter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	368.8 KB 
ID:	334678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	334676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	334677
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 02-28-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Replace BIG photos w/ expandable thumbnails

Default Re: Bulle - I'm not exactly sure what I bought (By: mopydick)

Peter

That's certainly an interesting find !

Some while ago I posted details of an oak-cased Bulle that has a similar mechanism (its on Page 33 of the thread "Post your Bulle Clocks". I now own 2 identical clocks of this type -so am certain it is a genuine Bulle. It is similar to your clock, but there are obviously a number of material differences.

My first thought is that your movement may have been a modification of the one I posted ?

I'm not sure whether the movement was originally mounted on a Bakelite base ? Your clock looks similar to The Majestic listed in the 1935 Catalogue on Pete Smith's Horologix site. However it doesn't have the correct chrome detailing surrounding and behind the dial. Also i believe The Majestic had the smaller colbalt magnet and small coil. The one I own does.

Hopefully John and others will be able to shed some more light on your interesting find.

Best regards,

Peter