Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Gilbert Quarter striking Bim/Bam "Sleeper" clock

I just acquired for free (the best part!) a quarter striking Gilbert clock. I have seen hundreds of Gilbert Bim/Bam clocks, and assumed this was the same type clock. However, after getting it home I soon realized it was a qtr striking bim/bam and then counts out the hours in unison.
    I typed in the info in search box, and the only thing that comes on up a Qtr strike Gilbert is from like 2003 and both people just commented they had seen one.

I don't think its extremely rare by no means, but was interesting to find a "sleeper" clock. Kind of like finding the plain 1962 Impala, that looks like your grandma drove it to find out there is a 409 Cubic inch motor under the hood! LOL!
    I have a couple of qtr striking "cymbala" seth Thomas clock, and they are in the books etc, and have seen many of them out and about. but I have to say this is the first Qtr striking Gilbert I have seen in many years of clock repair and collecting.

Does anyone have a book or model that this clock is? I didn't find somewhere in the old post, I think it was called a "Normandy" model?.... the came in the middle of the movement causes the striking cam to move over and strike the hours in unison and not Bim/Bam. Its stamped Gilbert Clock company and 28....and I like the back plate engraved touch.

Tambours are by no means my favorite, but if it has a qtr strike, I'm good with it!

Anyhow, I appreciate any help ya'll can provide.

Thanks
    Dan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gilbert qtr.jpg 
Views:	1123 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	334649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilbert qtr2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	334650  

Default Re: Gilbert Quarter striking Bim/Bam "Sleeper" clock (By: DanJeffries)

Quote Originally Posted by DanJeffries View Post
    I just acquired for free (the best part!) a quarter striking Gilbert clock. I have seen hundreds of Gilbert Bim/Bam clocks, and assumed this was the same type clock. However, after getting it home I soon realized it was a qtr striking bim/bam and then counts out the hours in unison.
    I typed in the info in search box, and the only thing that comes on up a Qtr strike Gilbert is from like 2003 and both people just commented they had seen one.

I don't think its extremely rare by no means, but was interesting to find a "sleeper" clock. Kind of like finding the plain 1962 Impala, that looks like your grandma drove it to find out there is a 409 Cubic inch motor under the hood! LOL!
    I have a couple of qtr striking "cymbala" seth Thomas clock, and they are in the books etc, and have seen many of them out and about. but I have to say this is the first Qtr striking Gilbert I have seen in many years of clock repair and collecting.

Does anyone have a book or model that this clock is? I didn't find somewhere in the old post, I think it was called a "Normandy" model?.... the came in the middle of the movement causes the striking cam to move over and strike the hours in unison and not Bim/Bam. Its stamped Gilbert Clock company and 28....and I like the back plate engraved touch.

Tambours are by no means my favorite, but if it has a qtr strike, I'm good with it!

Anyhow, I appreciate any help ya'll can provide.

Thanks
    Dan

Hi Dan, I think it's a very good looking Gilbert tambour style clock and the dial is exceptionally clean/attractive. I'm not familiar with a Gilbert 'quarter chime' bim bam strike, but I know they made what is called a "Normandy Chimes" bim bam strike with several of their tambour models and the Hollywood model wall clock. Certainly, someone on the forum will have the answer..

blindraccoon aka Laurie

Name:	Gilbert Normandy Chimes 1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	334706  

Registered user.

Default Re: Gilbert Quarter striking Bim/Bam "Sleeper" clock (By: blindraccoon)

Thanks Laurie,

I hope someone knows something about it. I didn't think to look on the bottom of the case to see if there is anything stamped on the bottom of the case. I did flip it to tighten up the chime rods as they were lose. Anyhow, I've enjoyed having a different chime in the house to go along with the many others!

Thanks and look forward to other comments. This movement is built like a tank! super heavy plates. I'll see if I can post more pictures of the interesting rack and snail strike system.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJeffries View Post
    Thanks Laurie,

I hope someone knows something about it. I didn't think to look on the bottom of the case to see if there is anything stamped on the bottom of the case. I did flip it to tighten up the chime rods as they were lose. Anyhow, I've enjoyed having a different chime in the house to go along with the many others!

Thanks and look forward to other comments. This movement is built like a tank! super heavy plates. I'll see if I can post more pictures of the interesting rack and snail strike system.
    If it's there, it could be really faint. I didn't see the stamp on my clock until I held it an angle in the bright sunshine. The model number is vivid, but the words 'Normandy Chimes' is barely there.

Registered user.

Well looky there........... I have always seen the numbers on the bottom of Gilbert cases but never explored any more than that....seems that no one knows much about the qtr striking Gilberts and I'm assuming "Normandy Chimes" was referring to the tone. Anyhow we will see if anyone comes up with a answer before long. I'll get some more pics of the movement and maybe a video of it striking.

Name:	IMG_9464[1].jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	526.1 KB 
ID:	335198  

Registered user.

Here is link to the youtube video so you can see the actuating lever move and change the sequence of striking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI4P_UXScKs

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Number 2946 is listed in my Gilbert book from 1926, called the "Medley". It doesn't mention the strike type, and shows a different case.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I've looked around a bit more and couldn't find a Gilbert bim bam 'quarter striker' clock. In your video, did it miss a quarter? I don't think I caught the 1st quarter strike which I would guess would have been one bim bam strike. 2nd or 1/2 hour strike (2 bim bams), then 3/4 hour (3 bim bams) and then the bim bam full strike on the hour. Per Harold Bain's comment, if nothing else, the model name of 'Medley' would certainly be appropriate for your movement since it is a quarter strike... very nice.

Registered user.

Yes the clock had already passed 15 after when I shot the video, so the video is missing the first qtr. and yes Melody would be an appropriate name for the clock.

Registered user.

Default Re: Gilbert Quarter striking Bim/Bam "Sleeper" clock (By: harold bain)

Thanks Harold, any clue to narrowing it down helps a lot. I guess it is rare in a "Gilbert sort of way". Lol! I'm sure not anymore valuable than other Bimbam Gilbert's, but definitely intriguing none the less.