Goal: $300, Received: $280.00 (94%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced

Recently I have had a strange problem when "replying with quote". I cannot use my spacebar when trying to reply with quote. I thought it might be my laptop so I canceled out and just clicked reply and my spacebar worked fine so just to make sure it was repeatable I tried to "reply with quote" and once again my spacebar did not work.. This time I clicked 'go advanced' and the spacebar worked ok. I suppose this could be some sort of problem with my laptop but I have experienced it the last few times I have tried to reply to someone and each time I was able to get the spacebar to function by selecting 'go advanced'.

Default Re: Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced (By: Harry Hopkins)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hopkins View Post
    Recently I have had a strange problem when "replying with quote". I cannot use my spacebar when trying to reply with quote. I thought it might be my laptop so I canceled out and just clicked reply and my spacebar worked fine so just to make sure it was repeatable I tried to "reply with quote" and once again my spacebar did not work.. This time I clicked 'go advanced' and the spacebar worked ok. I suppose this could be some sort of problem with my laptop but I have experienced it the last few times I have tried to reply to someone and each time I was able to get the spacebar to function by selecting 'go advanced'.
    OK my spacebar works fine. I suspect that it could be your browser. Have you emptied your caches?

Default Re: Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    OK my spacebar works fine. I suspect that it could be your browser. Have you emptied your caches?
    I will check here as well. space bar seems to work. I am running XP and chrome.

David

Neat the editor took out all the xtra spaces that I put in. So let's see if this works........ ......
    David S

Default Re: Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced (By: roughbarked)

it happens occasionally to me too. I find if I press return then backspace the facility returns.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    it happens occasionally to me too.
    me too

Rob

Default Re: Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced (By: musicguy)

Thanks for the replies. I did try rebooting my laptop but am not sure about which cache to empty. I tried Nick's workaround of hitting return and backspace and it worked so I am just happy to have such an easy fix.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Our tech fellows are into upgrading our message board software which hopefully will solve annoying problems like this one. I' have noted this problem for the last month or so, as well as the "go advanced" fix.
    It is quite intermittent and doesn't seem to affect everyone.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced (By: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    Our tech fellows are into upgrading our message board software which hopefully will solve annoying problems like this one. I' have noted this problem for the last month or so, as well as the "go advanced" fix.
    It is quite intermittent and doesn't seem to affect everyone.
    Well as far as problems go this one is pretty minor and I just tested the 'return then backspace fix' and it works.

If it would help your tech guys figure it out I am running W-10 and Chrome. I also experienced this problem while replying to a Private Message.

Well as far as problems go this one is pretty minor and I just tested the 'return then backspace fix' and it works.

If it would help your tech guys figure it out I am running W-10 and Chrome. I also experienced this problem while replying to a Private Message.
    A test with Windows 7 and IE11. This works ok.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a test with Windows 7 and Chrome...all is OK.

Default Re: Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced (By: Dick C)

Still does it for me on Windows 7 and Chrome (Version 56.0.2924.87)
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Default Re: Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced (By: MartinM)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Still does it for me on Windows 7 and Chrome (Version 56.0.2924.87)
    Martin,

It is possible that there is an incompatibility between VBulletin Version 4 and the browsers which it appears will not be fixed by VBulletin. Take a look at this support item from the VBulletin site if you would like further information:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...rking-on-reply

They seem to suggest that if you change from the WYSIWYG editor (done through your settings) then it may solve the problem.

From what I read VBulletin shows V4 as being old and the only development work is being done on V5.

Does changing the editor solve your problem?

Default Re: Reply vs. Reply with quote vs. Go Advanced (By: Dick C)

it appears as an intermittent problem. Presumably it isn't actually intermittent but requires certain conditions to come together, no idea what those are though as it always takes me by surprise when it occurs. However I think it only happens on my chromebook.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.