Goal: $300, Received: $215.00 (72%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Default Re: When is a watch considered "extremely rare?" (By: Clint Geller)

Here is another "rare" seven jewel watch, this one a Waltham P. S. Bartlett Grade Model 1857 (obviously, nothing rare so far) that was presented in 1862 to Sergeant James A. Sage by his unit, Company B of the 25th Michigan Infantry (a.k.a. the "Green Mountain Boys"), a distinguished fighting unit. The watch might have been given to Sage as a form of enlistment bounty (which were common) when the regiment was formed. The future First Lt. Sage's military career ended at the Battle of Utoy Creek (part of the Battle of Atlanta) in August, 1864 when he was wounded (but not fatally) in the thigh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sage Watch Movement.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	335705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sage Watch Dial.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	284.1 KB 
ID:	335706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sage Cuvette & Presentation.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	335707  
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC, # 84,947

Clint
    The Remington watch you referred to has other several unique features which add to its rarity (scarcity). The diamond push feature that releases either lid given the direction of the bow is very unusual for American watches according to some very well educated collectors. Philo was Remington's eldest son and ran the company during the civil war when the company was known as Remington and Son. ("Son" being Philo) Prior to that it was Remington Arms and after Remington and Sons. The rarity as a watch also includes the rarity to other forms of collecting, including civil war, firearms, Remington, and history collectors. The current appraised value by the Remington Gun Collecting group is $35,000 to $50,000. (And yes offers in that range were made) I don't believe value is a determining factor of a rare watch, but it does indicate limited supply and demand. I don't know if this assists this post or not.

I would consider Gold Ball straight in-lines to be rare, and be in high demand if more people were aware of what they actually were or even have seen one in person. Jeff Hess's in-line that belonged to Sydney Ball would be exceptional rare given uniqueness of both the watch and its previous owner.

I handle an an exceptional scarce wrist watch last weekend that is now headed to the Buliva headquarters museum. It was an 18k Phantom advertised as the thinnest LCD watch ever made. It is thinner than the leather band it is on. They were so thin that most cases simply snapped once the band was tightened too tight. Only 28 were made in karat. Buliva estimates that less than five exist due to the ones returned damaged beyond repair. The question then is - is a watch rare when only a handful survive a larger original run?

Default Re: When is a watch considered "extremely rare?" (By: Vince Schweiger)

I forgot to add that Buliva did not have a complete example of the Phantom. This example came with its original box. The rep has worked for the company for 30 years and was not familiar with this model. I might say that watch is rare given these facts.

Default Re: When is a watch considered "extremely rare?"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Schweiger View Post
    Clint
    The Remington watch you referred to has other several unique features which add to its rarity (scarcity). The diamond push feature that releases either lid given the direction of the bow is very unusual for American watches according to some very well educated collectors. Philo was Remington's eldest son and ran the company during the civil war when the company was known as Remington and Son. ("Son" being Philo) Prior to that it was Remington Arms and after Remington and Sons. The rarity as a watch also includes the rarity to other forms of collecting, including civil war, firearms, Remington, and history collectors. The current appraised value by the Remington Gun Collecting group is $35,000 to $50,000. (And yes offers in that range were made) I don't believe value is a determining factor of a rare watch, but it does indicate limited supply and demand. I don't know if this assists this post or not.

Hi Vince, I remember the Philo Remington Howard pretty well. I held it in my hand once or twice when my old friend, the late Dick Flaute, owned it, and then again at the J&H auction preview where he sold it. (I was the back bidder that day. I dairy farmer from Olyphant PA bought it. He was a gun collector, and he wanted it more than I did. I believe he is deceased now, too.) And yes, the diamond in the pusher and the "magic bow" case are both nice features.
    Last edited by Clint Geller; 03-08-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Clint
    I bought it. It is in my collection with three Ball straight in-line watches.

Here is an example of a watch that is not rare (though very desirable), except for one extremely rare feature. It is a Howard L Size hunting case (Model 1895-L-HC, or Series XI) split plate in a very nice apparently original gold case. Who here can spot the one extremely rare and significant feature of this watch? Answer to follow.

So how would one assess the "rarity" of a watch like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Howard601101dial.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	570.2 KB 
ID:	336935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Howard601101case.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	560.0 KB 
ID:	336934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Howard 601101movement.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	558.5 KB 
ID:	336933  

Gold train?
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Hansen View Post
    Gold train?
    Good eye, Fred. I have heard one unconfirmed report of another gold train Howard split plate, that one allegedly with 21 jewels, but those are the only two early Howard movements with solid gold trains of which I am aware. Perhaps significantly, the movement shown, S# 601,101, is the first and only split plate movement listed in the factory records as "Thin Model." I'm not sure what that means, as I haven't had an opportunity to compare the plate thickness of this movement to those of earlier or later examples from the run, but the factory seems to have lavished some extra attention on the finishing of this one movement.

So is this watch "rare?"