Goal: $300, Received: $215.00 (72%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered user.

Default Re: Lambert W. Lewis Tall Case Clock (By: Peter A. Nunes)

I'm OK with the repros until I find a nice good condition set. The OG weights have to go, I will toy with the weight too, I think 2.5 to 3 pounds strike is more than sufficient and I don't want to put too much stress on it.

Default Re: Lambert W. Lewis Tall Case Clock (By: cshayne)

If your clock and case have always been together, the case is likely a poplar case produced in northeast Ohio. A pine case is likely a later marriage.
    A couple things to look for in the Ohio cases.
    There is often a hole in the top of the bonnet, likely there to allow the top piece to be secured to the workbench and facilitate nailing the bonnet together. (upside down)
    There are usually two small square edged holes on the inside of the waist door near the top. I think these are marks from a jig used to build the door.
    Initially, these folks are copying the New England product exactly; I doubt that these shop tricks appear in the earliest of the local cases.
    The New England technique for decorating seems to be black over red. The paint for the Ohio clocks is red stripes over a black base; on rare occasions we have also seen a green or blue striping used in addition to the red.

For additional information on the Lewis family of makers, check out Philip Morris' tall case book. It contains most of Rebecca's information. chris k

Registered user.

Default Re: Lambert W. Lewis Tall Case Clock (By: Chris Klingemier)

Chris,
    I was cleaning the case light night and in better light, removing some of the old dirt that was on it. I do now believe it is poplar. The inside almost looks as if it had a single coat of stain or just time has darkened it. There are several holes in odd place but not one in the top, there are two specifically in the back evenly spaced and smoothly drilled about a foot up from the pendulum bob. I'm not sure if this was someone fastening it to the wall at some point or part of the building technique, the oxidation inside the holes matches others I found. The back of the bonnet is open, I assume there may have been a board to cover it which is now lost I have not had the change to see if there are any nail pr screw holes or a fastening device that would have held it on. I will try to post some more photos as I continue cleaning.

Thank you for the great information, it is much appreciated.

Chris,
    Watch for evidence that the case has had early paint removed and the red wash or cherry stain applied. I have never encountered this type of case without paint decoration.
    Because your case lacks the holes mentioned in my previous post, I do not think it can be definitely assigned to the northeast Ohio large production makers, so making assumptions about the original decoration techniques would be foolish. I have seen at least one of these decorated cases marked by the cabinet maker as New York state, so it appears that the cases may have been produced where ever those New England cabinetmakers wandered. There is no reason to think the painters necessarily followed.
    As to the backboard; I have never encountered one of these cases with an original backboard and most show no sign of ever having been fitted with one at a later date.
    Two other high volume cabinet shops in the Ohio region created cases without original backboards, while small cabinet shops continued to use a full height backboard. I suspect that the shortening of the cases simplified transportation for the peddler.

Take a look at the ends of the stiffeners on the back of the dial. If the dial were packaged for transportation by a peddler, there will be small holes in the ends of the stiffener. Lack of these holes indicates that the clock was sold locally, sometimes helping to place the case in the same area.

I have kept photos of all local dials that I have encountered. Both the signature and the lunette illustration are different from any of the other regional examples. A high resolution photo of the dial would be appreciated for the archive. thank you, chris klingemier

Registered user.

Default Re: Lambert W. Lewis Tall Case Clock (By: Chris Klingemier)

Chris,

Thank you for the wealth of information you and other members have provided, It is truly appreciated. While moving the clock into my truck I noticed that the finish had a very clean edge up to the backboard with only a few spots of a small drip onto the raw backboard. I have been inside and out with lighting and have found no trace or evidence of paint. The wash or stain color is even inside the thin channel that the glass slides down into from the bonnet top, I found a few similar examples online and as you mentioned, all of them are painted cases.

Interesting about the backboards, I was honestly happy that it was not full length because without the bonnet I could fit it inside my truck with rain chances and an hour and a half drive to get it. So I can see the correlation with ease of peddler transport. I do see one very small almost "pin sized" hole on each end of both the upper and lower stiffeners behind the dial.

I tried to capture some additional photos of the dial as well as a few features of the case, I am not sure the pendulum is original, it is a cast bob that almost looks as if it may have had a brass cover on it at some point. There are a handful of new bushing on the front plate and what appear to be one arbor replaced along with a post, the count wheel in back may be replacement but I cannot tell it is lighter wood than the rest. All in all, the movement is in great shape for its age and I have been running it for a few days, I did not even have to put it in beat or rate it much. If you would like any additional photos, please let me know I would be happy to contribute.

Best regards,
    Chris Shayne

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	334952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonnet_Top.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	334953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	600.9 KB 
ID:	334954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial_Corner.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	334955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial_Top.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	334956  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lewis.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	334957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pendulum.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	334958  

Registered user.

I forgot to mention, this may be trivial but the back of the door is covered with paper and there are traces on the backboard as well. It looks almost as if on the top left of the inside by the strike train there was a label at some point with a very small corner left. Unfortunately nothing is left to verify...

Registered user.

Interesting online find, another case almost identical to mine with the poplar and a cherry color wash! I wonder if a few were made outside of the painted case style either early or later?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lewis.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	335107  
    Last edited by cshayne; 03-02-2017 at 02:23 PM.