Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wrecked shelf cuckoo

Hello everybody again,
    It's been a long time since my last post here. Surely I've been busy with my other hobbies... Anyway, now there are a couple of half-dismantled wrecked clocks on my desk again
    I catched this one via intenet. Too many parts missing fom the case (but, fortunately, there is a depiction of how it looked like on the reprinted D. N. H. & S. Brothers catalogue), the movement is a 'Fleig' one (rather rusty), bird and pipe/bellows are there (rather busted)
    The case is in process of being completed now and I've decided to share it here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Talla.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	439.8 KB 
ID:	334174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leftside.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	334172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	334170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rightdetail.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	356.8 KB 
ID:	334173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	334171

Glad to be back here again!!

Aitor
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 02-26-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: Wrecked shelf cuckoo (By: ballistarius)

Very nice old clock ... Glad you are saving and restoring it

Default Re: Wrecked shelf cuckoo (By: timepast)

Many thanks, timepast.
    There were so many missing parts that I could not have dreamt of restoring the case were not for the drawing on the reprinted catalogue:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DNH&S Bros. Catalogue.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	334251
    The original catalogue is 1914-15 in date, but the clock looks a little earlier, perhaps end of 19th century. I supppose that people in this MB will have more precise and authorized opinions on that matter.
    The birch planks strengthening the back, glue blocks included, and the removable one holding the wire gong were all gone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1767.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	334255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1761t.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	334253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	482.1 KB 
ID:	334254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1759.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	334252
    To be continued...

Aitor
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 02-26-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Replace BIG photos w/ expandable thumbnails
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Great clock...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zzxse (1).jpg   zzxse (5).jpg  

Default Re: Wrecked shelf cuckoo (By: ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG)

Many thanks, Jeff
    It will involve a big amount of work and money to return this clock near to its former glory, but it seems as if I have a penchant for this kind of challenges...
    The clock you feature is the 'little sister' of mine in size. Does it house a GHS movement? The 'Fleig' movement seems rather lost in the vast emptiness of my case, though it is the original movement for it. On the catalogue, this clock is advertised as having a 'powerful fusee movement' inside.
    From the catalogue drawing, I can reconstruct the missing parts, even the topper, but the bird door is not featured. I've chosen to repeat for it the carving on the sides of the front skirt:

In the meantime, the case has returned from the cabinet maker with new back planks and the missing side door, veneered in oak. I've attached the side doors using correct size hinges, instead of the big 'ersatz' ones that came with the case. These hinges are always nailed to case and doors, but I've used tiny brass screws for the sake of future owners

Regards,

Aitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1796.jpg   IMG_1797.jpg   IMG_1798.jpg   IMG_1799.jpg   Puerta.jpg  

Beautiful and and accurate restoration. I think most collectors love the the nitty gritty , time consuming process of restoratation and bring things back to life. And often it`s not a matter of time nor consideration of resale but of a job well done.

Default Re: Wrecked shelf cuckoo (By: timepast)

Many thanks for your kind words, timepast!
    I cannot but agree with what you say. It is always easier and often cheaper to buy old clocks in nearly pristine condition, but it is never so interesting or rewarding (at least for a nutty collector like me...)
    I hope to be able to fetch some elements from the woodcarver next week. I'll post them here...

Aitor

Default Design for topper. Help sought. (By: ballistarius)

Hi,

I've just finished the 'blueprint' of the topper for sending it to the carver. I'd had liked to have a photo or even a better drawing than that on the catalogue, because I've had to take a few too many 'decisions' based on actual surviving carving to my taste...
    Has anybody in the MB seen anything like this 'in the flesh'?

Many thanks in advance!

Aitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copete.jpg  

Default Re: Bellows. (By: ballistarius)

A pity that nobody here has seen any similar topper...
    While the woodcarver is doing his part, I've started fixing other issues. First the bellows and pipes.

Kaput, busted... specially the bellows. I cannot imagine the kind of environment in which this clock has passed a lot of years, but many iron wire parts are brittle and corroded to the bone. The marbled paper is detached and brittle. Fortunately, the pipes are functional and the wooden laths of the bellows are OK. The lead weights were MIA, unless the white powder everywhere was their last mortal remains...
    Even when new, the pipe and bellows were just run-of-the-mill (according with the clock overall quality, flashy and eye-appealing, but simple):
    The cavities for the leads on the bellow uppers were not carved, just drilled through. Glued paper sheets formed the bottoms. The pipes were directly screwed to the case sides. I don't like to have two BIG holes pierced through each pipe, but being an original feature, I'll live with it.

Bellows leathered (original stuff being paper) Thicker cardboard sheets forme the bottom of the lead cavities.

New leads inserted, with double weight inside the right bellow, to make the first note of the cuckoo call sharper.

New marbled paper for the bellows. I've chosen to leave the original marbled paper on the pipes.

Wires replaced and bellows attached to the case.
    Next step: the bird

Aitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170404_161456.jpg   IMG_20170404_161406.jpg   IMG_20170402_143950.jpg   IMG_1922.jpg   IMG_1921.jpg  

IMG_1830.jpg   IMG_1829.jpg   IMG_20170405_164105.jpg  

Default Re: Bellows. (By: ballistarius)

Aitor,

MOST impressive work! I'm quite amazed at your talent, and am convinced that soon your clock will be up and running, and probably sounding a bit better that it ever did! Your attention to detail is fantastic as well. You are indeed a craftsman in every sense of the word!

Best,

George

Default Now, the bird...

Many thanks for your kind words, George. (blush)
    I've just learned how to do a couple of simple things. Anyway, you're quite right about my nearly maniatic attention to detail
    I've rescued the bird from the box where I had stored it when I dismantled the clock.
    A sheer miracle that only the wires forming the legs had disintegrated: The beak opens and the wings flap!

The body shows a longitudinal crack and a crude repainting over the badly flaking original paint. Looks like I'll have to repaint it all and it'll take me longer than 'scheduled'

Aitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1923.jpg   IMG_1924.jpg   IMG_1925.jpg   IMG_1926.jpg   IMG_1927.jpg  

Default Re: Now, the bird... (By: ballistarius)

Aitor, I don't think YOU will have any trouble at all! I am always amazed at the attention to detail the cuckoo bird carvers went to. Simply stunning!

Best,

George

George, this is/was a nice bird, specially not being an 'old' one
    Talking about troubles, I have eliminated the repaint using ethanol. It's been a little nasty to discover that the bird had been originally finished in shellac
    Fortunately, the bird had to be repainted, anyway...
    The crack is puttied and sanded.

I'm leaving for the woodcarver's to get the first batch of case components...

Aitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1937.jpg  

Default Carvings (By: ballistarius)

I've returned from the woodcarver's workshop. He's done a good job completing missing parts in oak. He's started carving the topper too, but that will take him a longer time.

I cannot understand why, sometimes, photos upload rotated 90º
    Aitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1938.jpg   IMG_1939.jpg   IMG_1940.jpg  

Default Re: Carvings (By: ballistarius)

Aitor,

First, your work on the bird is fabulous! I LOVE seeing the efforts of someone like you, who loves the old clocks and takes the time necessary to do a first rate restoration job. My heartiest congratulations!

Second, you have found a woodcarver who is capable of doing the work correctly! Once the parts are stained, I'll bet that nobody will be able to tell what is new and what is old. You will have a truly wonderful clock there.

Thanks for sharing your progress. I know others are as interested as I am in seeing the work documented as well as you are doing for us all. Many thanks!

Best,

George