Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: John in Sweden)

Latest update: Looks like the watch DID get messed up in transit - not sure if I should blame the Royal Mail or PostNord - but either way its being sorted out now - and THIS TIME I think I will try to avoid any repetition and go for DHL courier service to get the watch back to me here in Sweden this time without damage...

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: John in Sweden)

Quote Originally Posted by John in Sweden View Post
    Latest update: Looks like the watch DID get messed up in transit - not sure if I should blame the Royal Mail or PostNord - but either way its being sorted out now - and THIS TIME I think I will try to avoid any repetition and go for DHL courier service to get the watch back to me here in Sweden this time without damage...
    I hope this story has a happy ending. I agree with you, I like my watches working and ready to go if I feel like wearing them.

Robert

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801

Hi, I have had two out of about 500-600 packages damaged over the years; the first one was a rare movement and when I went to the Post Office to pick it up it had a Lift Truck Track across the package. I opened it at the Post Office counter and it was in a movement Tin that was crushed on one side. I opened the tin and lo and behold the movement was not damaged. The second one was not a good story, the c1790's David Rittenhouse Small Carriage? Clock in the Package from the UK had been dropped and the box had split. I took the package home and when I opened it
    the Dial had sheared off the Dial feet and broken the Center Arbor and one of the the under Dial Wheels had dropped out of the Package. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Rittenhouse http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...ht=rittenhouse Regards Ray
    Last edited by Omexa; 03-04-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: Accutronica)

Thanks Robert it may just be me and I *have* seen people in youtube videos who seem to have hundreds of watches but almost none of them working... Well - different strokes for different folks I suppose but even if I only have 5 or 6 watches at the very least I want to know they are working and that I *can* go out with any one of them if I want to

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: Omexa)

Hi Ray - I think for me its now confirmed that out of 5 watch packages only at least ONE of them has resulted DEFINITELY (thanks to the Swedish mail service) in a damaged watch and in reality I now suspect my Whitehurst pocket watch may have suffered the same fate... So, for me that is a 40% failure/damage rate when it comes to watches I have had sent to me here in Sweden...

John, maybe I missed it but how were the packaged.. That has a huge bearing on how they arrive... if not I at least a 6 inch square box, wrapped in bubble wrap and then suspended in foam peanuts.. I have not had an issue.... Unless the box itself has been flattened by some means..

Quote Originally Posted by John in Sweden View Post
    Thanks Robert it may just be me and I *have* seen people in youtube videos who seem to have hundreds of watches but almost none of them working... Well - different strokes for different folks I suppose but even if I only have 5 or 6 watches at the very least I want to know they are working and that I *can* go out with any one of them if I want to
    If I had a real valuable watch that I would never carry, I would have it cleaned and serviced or do it myself if I was confident I wouldn't break anything so I wouldn't be afraid to wind it up once in a while.

Robert

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: Accutronica)

Hi Robert... I think if I had something ''super rare'' or expensive I would be the same too... But that is the question - what point you start thinking of it as something to keep locked up in a safe rather than being able to wear it and use it and enjoy it... I'm not sure - I'm not rich so I guess for me I don't mind wearing a watch that perhaps cost 1000 pounds or so - BUT if the watch was from 1700 and cost 10,000 pounds THAT is the point where I would probably start to have a heart attack and NOT want to even think about wearing it... I guess for each person the answer to this one would be different of course...

John.

PS I'm NOT saying 1000 pounds is ''nothing'' to me btw - its a substantial amount of money - I was more trying to work out a ''level'' in my own head at which I would still feel reasonably comfortable wearing/using something... In my case if the watch was worth/had cost me much more than THAT I know I would start to think twice about wearing it every day lol

I might not wear it but I would still like to wind it up once in a while and look & listen to it. If it hasn't been serviced, I would be afraid to wind it up and let it run because in the back of my mind I would imagine the pivots wearing out.

I find I am quite addicted to the sound to be honest - can't really explain it but reminds me of something from when I was much much younger lol. But its amazing how I always end up in hobbies that have similar problems - with my other (highly addictive lol) hobby of Japanese swords its similar - you have to maintain them but in the process of maintaining them even you are actually taking away a tiny bit of the steel over time - in other words wearing them out - but if you DON'T then the dreaded rust will come - which is the number one enemy of anything made out of steel lol. With these watches I guess its similar - we want to wear them and enjoy them and hear them ticking away but the other side of the coin is probably quite identical to the sword thing - its the knowledge that they are also (slowly but surely) wearing away - although if they are being properly maintained I have a feeling they will still end up lasting longer than if they were simply left in a desk drawer for 70 years... Then again, maybe thats just my way of rationalizing things - I'm saying this while my 1790/91 Barwise pocket watch is ticking away in my top pocket lol...

In reality of course I only have the three old verge fusees - the Whitehurst I cannot use until its repaired/serviced - the Barwise is running but its amazing that it is considering how shoddy and barbaric the ''repair'' job done to it was (soldered fusee cone etc.) and of course the Barron (the watch this thread is about) is still in England - but at least when I get the Barron back in my hands I will have the one old verge fusee that I know is 100% - an up to date service and ''good to go'' - my plan is to wear THAT watch from the moment I can and to try and stop wearing the others until they have ALL been repaired/serviced and are also 100%...

That is the plan anyway

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: John Pavlik)

Hi John - the dealer did it all just right - the bubble wrap and the foam peanuts and the box - I am assuming worse than usual abuse from the Swedish postal service is the cause of the problem here. And to be honest, out of 5 watches sent to me considering that the Whitehurst suddenly stopped working properly as well (it now only runs sitting flat and stops when I try to wear it - pendant up it just stops - I have a feeling it probably had problems in transit as well... The dealer i bought that one from specifically recommended it saying it was running perfectly and had been for days - and YET within weeks of it getting here it developed problems too...

Hi John. I enjoy putting fresh oil on my Damascus hunting knives every couple of months and to admire their beauty. I'm not wealthy enough to buy those expensive watches anyway. But when someone has a watch and doesn't get it serviced, whatever rust that's in it just gets worse and worse. I believe that even if a rare or expensive watch is destined for the safe, it should be serviced before it goes into the safe. IMHO

Robert

I think we're on the same page Robert Hoping to hear back shortly about the Barron - I've definitely decided that is the watch I will be wearing (Although in the future once the Barwise has been looked after I have a feeling I'll be wearing that one quite often too )

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801

Hi John, I take mine for a walk if they are nice to me; I look at their pleading little Faces in the drawers and think which one will I take? But usually I take them in order just to give them a workout in different positions; and of course to show them off to my friends at the local Club. Regards Ray

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: Omexa)

You gave me a definite smile there Ray lol - but there is no doubt about it, these old watches DO have a personality of their own... I only had the Barron here for a few days before having to send it back but I am definitely missing it...