Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: John in Sweden)

Latest update guys - I'm not sure if we are allowed (?) to plug a particular dealer or seller - so I will refrain... All I will say is that so far the ''after sales service'' from this dealer is EXCEPTIONAL... The watch has been fixed - hundreds of pounds of work has been done - I will not have to pay one penny of that myself - the watch is on test now - and will remain on test - both being worn and on the bench - and then, if all is perfect, I'll have my Barron on the way back to me by the end of the week i think... So far it definitely looks like there is going to be a happy ending here

Blog Entries

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: John in Sweden)

Hi John,

That's excellent news. Did he tell you the details of what was wrong?

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: gmorse)

Hi Graham - according to the dealer and his watchmaker this is the story:

The watch is now repaired, with a new pivot, and is presently on test for timing, etc.

The watchmaker believes that the pivot has been bent before. Apparently, once straightened, there is a strong chance they may partially fracture. This cannot be seen (which is why it was not spotted before), but it does mean that, in this condition, they are susceptible to a far ‘softer' jolt than would be normally be necessary to do damage. This is why damage occurred in transit.

The watch will be on test for the rest of the week and then hopefully, if everything is looking AOK the watch will be on its way back to me...

I didn't get a chance to get back into this thread until now to reply - the website and its database where having pretty hardcore problems apparently but it looks like everything is working now - and I'm happy to say it is looking like my watch is getting well and truly sorted out as well

John.

- - - Updated - - -

PS It was the bottom pivot of the balance that was the issue...

Blog Entries

Hi John,

...PS It was the bottom pivot of the balance that was the issue...
    I'm impressed, this is what a verge bottom pivot looks like, and as you can see, there isn't a lot of metal to play with if it needs re-pivoting!

Regards,

Graham
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF3809.jpg  

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: gmorse)

I see what you mean Graham - impressive indeed. I have a feeling this is going to be the one watch in my collection that will be just about perfect I think its going to be worth the wait - hopefully by the end of the week I will know if its ready to be sent back

Update time again chaps - the Barron is now running about minus 2 minutes a day and all fixed and sorted and hopefully on its way back to me soon... Can't wait

Guys - the watch is now on its way back to me here in Sweden - update coming soon

Well - I did promise an update chaps Slight change of plan re: the Barron - I sent it back for repairs and it came back looking like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cases.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	339193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Complete watch.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	339194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial 1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	339195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial 2.jpg 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	339196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 2.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	339197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 3.jpg 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	339198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 4.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	339199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 5.jpg 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	339200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 6.jpg 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	339201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top of movement 1.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	339202

- - - Updated - - -

I had to throw a wee bit more money at it - but the end result is a watch I can say I feel absolutely happy with so far - lovely