Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801

Hi all,

Couldn't wait to post my initial pictures of watch number 5

Yet another silver pair double case verge fusee - John Barron of Aberdeen - 1801.

I hope everyone enjoys

John.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cases 1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	333924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	333925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial 2.jpg 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	333926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial and Crystal 1.jpg 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	333927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hallmarks 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	333928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement Side 1.jpg 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	333929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement Side 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	333930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement Side 3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	333931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement top 1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	333932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement Top 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	333933

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: John in Sweden)

Hi John, I like it. We need better photos? Regards Ray

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: Omexa)

I'm on it Ray I was probably too excited on the first pass so this time will have another crack at the movement at least...

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: Omexa)

Here we go Ray,

Have a look and see what you think of these...

John

PS Have found a bit of interesting research on this John Barron of Aberdeen also - this would definitely be one of his earlier watches...

Name:	More detail 6.jpg 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	333972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More detail 5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	333973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More detail 4.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	333974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More detail 3.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	333975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More detail 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	333976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	More detail 1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	333977

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: John in Sweden)

PS Definitely my largest pocket watch now and one of the things the pictures does not convey sadly is the wonderful sound of its ticking - loud and strong. A very substantial watch and quite amazing in the hand. I am in love yet again lol

Update: Still love the watch but hoping I can regulate a bit better than this... The Tompion type regulator has a scale of ''5'' to ''30'' - it was already pretty close to 30 and over the first 4 hours of running (before I went to sleep last night) I noticed the watch had lost a minute. Being ''smart'' I thought I would regulate it to ''30'' overnight to see if that sorted it but instead the watch is now running (from overnight) about 8 or 9 minutes slow... So, bottom line I must have got it wrong and this regulator works in ''reverse'' or just a very slow watch ? Going to try and set to the middle of the scale now to see how she goes throughout the day... John.

Okay - trying to apply some logic here Have set to the highest setting on the regulator dial and will leave it there... Will see how the watch performs over each 24 hour period over the week or so ahead I guess - setting the hands and doing the morning wind at roughly the same time each day...

Name:	Regulation 12-30pm 23-02-17-1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	334040

FINALLY - huge amount of regulating involved but now the watch is keeping almost PERFECT time... Will be checking it out over the days ahead but so far it looks like this watch can perform well too - not just look good

So - latest update chaps - regulated to the max. possible amount on the regulator the watch still ended up losing 8 minutes overnight (over a 12 hour period) so obviously there is something wrong with it and as of Monday it will be heading back to the dealer for him to have a look at and hopefully get the problem sorted out... Will keep everyone posted but I am sure it will get sorted out and that in a few weeks from now I'll have the watch back and working perfectly

Just remember it's a verge fusee over 2 centuries old. Don't expect great timekeeping. When new it might have kept time to one minute/day. Most threads about verge fusee timekeeping posted here stated that the watches ran fast, 30 min to an hour/day fast. So your watch is a bit unusual in running slow. Does your dealer know how to work on verge fusees, not many folks do nowadays.
    NAWCC LARC
    Volunteer

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: RON in PA)

Hi Ron - yes, he's an expert and is sure its something minor and possibly something that has been ''shaken up'' in the journey from there (UK) to here (Sweden). Royal mail is usually pretty good I think but Postnord (the Swedish equivalent) is horrendous - if they don't actually lose your package I'm sure they use it to play football. I had a good shot at regulating it myself but yes, strange - the closest I could get over time was about minus 8 minutes in 12 hours which of course is way off the mark. I'll be sending it back to him first thing Monday morning and hopefully I'll know more by the end of the week and once fixed have it back (hopefully) the week after. Lets see how we go I suppose. Its a lovely watch and quite disappointing for something like this to happen but what to do...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: RON in PA)

Hi Ron,

Worn out verges will indeed behave fairly randomly, as would any watch that had been poorly maintained for the last hundred years or more! Verges were the only game in town until the cylinder was developed in the 1720s, and were being made right up until the end of the 19th century. They keep going even in a dilapidated state which few other escapements would tolerate. If properly maintained, (and restored where necessary), they're capable of a minute a day or better, it's just that these conditions aren't often met, and expectations tend to be lower.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: gmorse)

Morning guys,

I think the one thing I am learning about this hobby as a newbie is that you *really* need to know someone who knows how to repair and maintain these old treasures properly. I don't know what the ''batting average'' has been like for everyone else but out of 5 watches I have bought so far I have:

1. One watch going back for repair on Monday.
    2. The other two older verge fusees I have - one of them is stopping quite often now and the other one even though its going turns out to have a ''repair'' that is so bad it could eventually destroy the watch with time if it wasn't fixed.
    3. The other two watches are more or less going but its obvious that with time they will need a service at the very least lol.

So - five out of five really - at this point in time not one of them is 100% okay.

I'm hopeful the Barron will be sorted out soon though and I intend to have the Barwise and Whitehurst watches worked on as soon as possible.

To be honest the main priority for me is the three old verge fusees that I have - I think they are worth the effort and worth doing it right - so I guess the moral of the story here for a newbie coming into this hobby is that you need to not only be prepared to pay the purchase price of the watches you want to have - you also need to be prepared to spend the money to have them professionally repaired/serviced - and to look after them after that...

Just my 2 cents/pence worth on a Sunday morning

John.

I have a small collection, but for me the interest is their history and development, and where possible finding a locally signed watch. I don't usually bother having them repaired because I'm never going to wear them. I do have two out for repair at the moment but both are levers, I have not had any of the verges worked on.

I keep the clocks going as a rule but I can only wear one watch at a time!
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Watch Number 5: John Barron of Aberdeen - Verge Fusee 1801 (By: novicetimekeeper)

Hi Nick - I suppose every collector will have their own ''thing''... My obsession at this point I guess is to have all my watches working. It may never be a big or impressive collection but I really *do* want to have them all working properly. Ideally I would like to be able to wear any of them and to know they are up for it... John.