Goal: $300, Received: $280.00 (94%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default All auto replys going to Spam?

In the last several days all of replys to threads I posted in have gone into my Spam folder.

I haven't changed anything with my server or updated any security programs.

Has the MB auto reply system been updated or changed?

Thanks
    Jim Haney

Blog Entries

Default Re: All auto replys going to Spam? (By: Jim Haney)

Not that I'm aware of. You might need to re-train your spam filter? It MIGHT be as simple as selecting a few of them and marking them as "Not Spam"

Default Re: All auto replys going to Spam? (By: Bill Stuntz)

Bill,
    OK, I trust you with the info that nothing has been updated, but why would this happen now after 16 years of regular replies from posts that I posted too??

If no one else is having the problem, It must be me?
    Jim Haney

Blog Entries

OK, I trust you with the info that nothing has been updated
    Your trust might be misplaced. I've seen no mention of changes made in the private Admin forums, but that doesn't necessarily mean that someone else hasn't changed something I'm not aware of. Out of curiosity, what are you using as a spam filter? Web based email like gmail, or an actual email client on your PC? I started using Thunderbird when MS killed Outlook Express, and I use POPFile to to process all incoming mail before it goes into my inbox. It's worked very well for me for many years. Once POPFile has been trained properly, all my clock emails land in clock folder, all my Radio Control emails land in RC, PC Tech emails go into..., etc. The behavior hasn't changed for me. But I also have to admit that I normally don't subscribe to threads/forums. I'll do that now to do some testing.

Bill,
    I have always used AOL for 18 years.

I thought they used Internet Explorer but I googled it and they say they use POP3 as a base

BTW , I know nothing about computers or servers.
    Jim Haney

Blog Entries

POP=Post Office Protocol - pretty standard, but there is another common protocol that I won't try to explain. I haven't used AOL since before they stopped sending me their software on floppy disks. So I'm guessing here. There MAY be a "This is NOT spam" button (or a right-click "not spam" option) you can click for emails THEY think are spam but YOU don't. If you click on enough of them, they might believe you and not send them to your spam folder in the future. Or you might be able to "whitelist" nawcc.org to tell them that NO email from us is spam. You might need to call their tech support or visit their support web site. Maybe you'll find instructions in their FAQ section. If I had an AOL email account, I could probably help more directly.

P.S. I found notification that you had replied to this thread in my "Clock" folder a few minutes ago, so mine is working properly.
    P.P.S. It's a fairly common problem for people who subscribe to online newsletters, so there HAS to be a solution.
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 02-20-2017 at 09:37 PM.

NAWCC Communications Director

AOL email software has historically had its own filtering and spam detection service, the settings of which were subject to change, based on AOL's current security decisions.

The emails under discussion may have a certain string of characters or addressing nomenclature that AOL has decided suggests those emails are now spam, whereas it formerly allowed them through.

You might need to manually place nawcc.org on your AOL spam whitelist (or safe list), if that's still possible with current AOL software.
    Markus Harris
    Communications Director (NAWCC)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
    POP=Post Office Protocol - pretty standard, but there is another common protocol that I won't try to explain. I haven't used AOL since before they stopped sending me their software on floppy disks. So I'm guessing here. There MAY be a "This is NOT spam" button (or a right-click "not spam" option) you can click for emails THEY think are spam but YOU don't. If you click on enough of them, they might believe you and not send them to your spam folder in the future. Or you might be able to "whitelist" nawcc.org to tell them that NO email from us is spam. You might need to call their tech support or visit their support web site. Maybe you'll find instructions in their FAQ section. If I had an AOL email account, I could probably help more directly.

P.S. I found notification that you had replied to this thread in my "Clock" folder a few minutes ago, so mine is working properly.
    P.P.S. It's a fairly common problem for people who subscribe to online newsletters, so there HAS to be a solution.
    In AOL open up the Read Mail section and look for SPAM CONTROLS at the bottom of the window. Click on it and look to see if the addresses that are going to your spam folder are there. If so, delete the ones that you do not want to be blocked.

Also, as Bill Stuntz suggested, open up the spam folder, highlight the ones that are not spam and click on the button that indicates that they are not spam. This may also solve the problem.