Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Sessions Duet #2 Case restoration

Hi ;

I have acquired a Sessions Duet #2 Mantle clock. The case is scratched and the finish is, well... it has seen better days to say the least. Admittedly I do not have much wood finishing experience and am looking for any guidance the forum has to offer on the process (steps), Methods, materials etc. If there is something like this already posted, I apologize but I did not come across it.

Thanks in advance to the help!
    ----
    Todd G.

Default Re: Sessions Duet #2 Case restoration (By: ToddG)

Todd, I am not familier with the clock you speak of or the damage to the case so a picture or two would be very helpful.

The first thing you should consider is how far you want to go: clean it up and make it presentable maintaining its original patina and finish or completely restore it. This is an important first step and will dictate the next series of steps.

Some investigation of the original methods used to construct and finish the clock case would be the next step. Products you might use to do either of the above might have an adverse effect on the case, such as causing glue holding veneer to soften and let go.

I think Bangster said it best 'you cannot treat every old clock like a priceless museum specimen.....you will drive yourself crazy'. Keeping this in mind should help you decide how far to go.

Default Re: Sessions Duet #2 Case restoration (By: upstateny)

Quote Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
    Todd, I am not familier with the clock you speak of or the damage to the case so a picture or two would be very helpful.

The first thing you should consider is how far you want to go: clean it up and make it presentable maintaining its original patina and finish or completely restore it. This is an important first step and will dictate the next series of steps.

Some investigation of the original methods used to construct and finish the clock case would be the next step. Products you might use to do either of the above might have an adverse effect on the case, such as causing glue holding veneer to soften and let go.

I think Bangster said it best 'you cannot treat every old clock like a priceless museum specimen.....you will drive yourself crazy'. Keeping this in mind should help you decide how far to go.
    I appreciate the advice upstateny, here is what I can tell you : I would like the case to look better then it does. It does not have to be Department Store new, but as you can see from the pictures it has some prominent scratches and dings I would like to remove and the finish is dull and faded. I think Bangster is "spot on" with regards to his statement and Lord knows, the last thing I need is yet another thing to drive me crazy. I have the movement out (that will be a subject for a different threat ) and the face and bezel removed as you can see, so cleaning and whatever else is required (sanding etc) will not be hampered by those things. Please take a look at the attached pics and let me know your (anyone's) thoughts please. Thank you so much.

Regards ;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sessions Duet No2 Case 1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	333147 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sessions Duet No2 Case 2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	546.9 KB 
ID:	333148 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sessions Duet No2 Case 3.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	552.1 KB 
ID:	333149 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sessions Duet No2 Case 4.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	333150
    ----
    Todd G.

You can De-Wax the clock. Then Re-Float the finish using denatured alcohol, or the highest proof grain alcohol you can find. The original finish is alcohol based. wiping or brushing alcohol on it will liquefy the finish ( Referred to as re-floating) If you have a pre 1940 junk case, or even a part of a case you can try it. if you like the result then tackle your sessions case. Clean the case with prepsol, or another wax remover, give it a light sanding to remove grime, wipe well with a tack cloth, then re-float the finish. Cleanliness is next to Godliness on this deal, as anything you miss with the tack clothe will become suspended in the finish.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Default Re: Sessions Duet #2 Case restoration (By: BLKBEARD)

I should also mention that re-floating should be done horizontally as much as possible. You need to get enough alcohol on there so that your liquefying the existing finish and dragging it out with the brush.

After it dries for a few days, you can level out any brush marks with 0000 steel wool, or fine sand paper, tack it off and wax.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

BLKBEARD, has given you some good advice. You might want to test the finish on your case prior to make shure the finish is alcohol based. If it is you can practice re-floating by putting several coats of shellac on sone scrap wood, letting it set up for a few days then practice on that prior to touching your case. Prepsol can often be found at paint dealers specializing in automotive finishes. It is commonly used to clean bare metal prior to applying paint. You will not find it at Depot or Lowes.

There are other De-waxing solutions besides prepsol, and prepsol may be too harsh for this finish. I haven't floated a finish for over 15 years. I honestly don't remember which de-waxer I used to use, and don't want to mislead anyone.

I don't like the idea or re-floating fresh shellac for the reason that while you will be re-floating the finish, the end product won't reflect the end product of a 100 year old finish. That's the only reason I have for recommending the use of a junk clock case or fragment there of.

The finish you achieve on a junk case will closely reflect the finish you'll achieve on the one you do care about.

That being said, re-floating a fresh shellac finish is certainly a way to "try out the process"

Thorough de-waxing is critical, as any missed wax will end up in suspension and leave you with a soft finish.

Blog Entries

Harold Bain posted a good a good recipe to make a solution to use on this type of case problem, its a common problem. If you search his postings you should be able to find it.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Sessions Duet #2 Case restoration (By: Kevin W.)

ToddG, try Howard's Restore-a-Finish, available at Depot $7. It may get you where you want to be. I have used it on many abused clock cases with good, sometimes remarkable results. On a case like yours, the more than one coat may be necessary. I have seen demos on you-tube where it is used with '0000' steel wool instead of cloth as an applicator. It comes in colors including mahogany which may add color to the small scratches in your case.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

In this thread is the recipe i mentioned, personally i would give it a try, http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...eaf-case-issue
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Quote Originally Posted by upstateny View Post
    ToddG, try Howard's Restore-a-Finish, available at Depot $7. It may get you where you want to be. I have used it on many abused clock cases with good, sometimes remarkable results. On a case like yours, the more than one coat may be necessary. I have seen demos on you-tube where it is used with '0000' steel wool instead of cloth as an applicator. It comes in colors including mahogany which may add color to the small scratches in your case.
    Thank you all for the information and feedback. At this point the Howard's products seem like a good route to take. I watched this video on the Restor-A-Finish and was impressed. It even shows the process dealing with scratches similar to the ones on this case. For $22 I bought the Mahogany Restor-A-Finish, Feed-N-Wax polish and conditioner and 8 pads of Red Devil 0000 Super Fine Steel Wool. Amazon Prime makes the shipping free, so hard to beat that! Once I receive it, I'll give it a shot and post the results.

Thank you again to all for taking the time to offer help!
    ----
    Todd G.

I received my reconditioning supplies and gave it a shot. Pics below. I am pleased with the results. I left some minor blemishes as I think it helps the clock retain some of it's original character. After all, it isn't new! >8)

Thanks again for the help, now on to the movement!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sessions Duet No2 Case 5.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	630.3 KB 
ID:	333837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sessions Duet No2 Case 6.JPG 
Size:	562.2 KB 
ID:	333838 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sessions Duet No2 Case 7.JPG 
Size:	755.2 KB 
ID:	333839 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sessions Duet No2 Case 8.JPG 
Size:	559.1 KB 
ID:	333840
    ----
    Todd G.

Wow, looks so much better!

Default Re: Sessions Duet #2 Case restoration (By: ClipClock)

Nice job ToddG! $22 got you a long way and you preserved the originality of the case. Howards also does a great job on finishes that are starting to dry out from exposure to sun light. It however does not last forever, I find that you need to use it every couple of years.

Glad we could help you out.

Certainly a major improvement