Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problems with links to Bulletin Articles

On a recent thread, the old problem with non-functional links to Bulletin articles arose again.

The moderator on duty at the time posted the following advice:

User Administrator
    Join DateJan 2004Posts16,658

Re: Unusual Jerome 8 day time only brass dial Jerome weight OG seen (RE: George Nelson)

George, this issues, which seem to have more to do with logging through iMIS, are better sorted out by the folks at HQ. They are a bit above my remit, since I am simply the Emergency Backup Administrator for Odds and Ends. If the phenomenon continues, a relevant post in MB User Help and Comments forum might attract some decent answers. In the meantime try logging out, clear browser cookies and history (particularly those related to the NAWCC), and then log back in and see what happens. Yes, that's a bit like hitting the microwave to see if that makes it run, but it sometimes helps. There were recently issues with accessibility to past bulletin issues (they apparently were open to anyone at all), and perhaps the fix has affected any NAWCC cookies you had at the time.

Well, this phenomenon persists and has occurred previously.

Took a very long time to fix the last time.

RM

Blog Entries

Question Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Can you explain what you mean by non-functional again?

You should not be able to link to and display member-only resources under our current policy regarding such material. You should be able to seek and view the material. The staff have tried several ways to enforce the policy with mixed results.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: Tom McIntyre)

As I remember the issue, RM was unable to access a Bulletin article through a link that he had posted in a thread some time ago. This, despite being logged in to nawcc.org.

We have long been able to post links to Bulletin articles; the articles, of course, are accessible only by members of the NAWCC.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by non-functional again?

You should not be able to link to and display member-only resources under our current policy regarding such material. You should be able to seek and view the material. The staff have tried several ways to enforce the policy with mixed results.
    I'm confused about your policy discussion and how that is relevant, unless there has been a change about which I am unaware.

For a very long time I have been able to include in my postings links to relevant bulletin articles. If one was logged in and a member, both of which I am, when that link it clicked upon, it brought you to that article.

The last few times I have attempted to click upon a link, I get a message that I need to be logged in and a member....both of which I am and that is what I mean by not working again.

My recollection is that this has been problematic previously.

RM

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

Are you logged into both the MB and the main NAWCC site? If you're logged into the MB but not the main site, that's what SHOULD happen. Security on the bulletin articles was disabled for a while, and was turned back on a couple days ago.

RM -

I had issues today with accessing only one article within a single Bulletin issue. I was logged on to the MB and website in separate browser windows, and was accessing the articles from the website. I could access every article in the issue, except the one I was most interested in. After reporting the issue, I found that the staff is aware, and is working to resolve.

Pat

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: Bill Stuntz)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
    Are you logged into both the MB and the main NAWCC site? If you're logged into the MB but not the main site, that's what SHOULD happen. Security on the bulletin articles was disabled for a while, and was turned back on a couple days ago.
    I'm logged onto BOTH!

RM

Blog Entries

Sounds like what was happening before, SOME users, SOME articles, hard to reproduce. You might want to try a PM to Markus Harris since you know the details about what you're trying to access.
    My understanding was that he had it fixed, and just turned the security back on a few days ago. I'm only an admin on the MB and have no power over there, so I can't help you directly.

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: Bill Stuntz)

The bulletin article access continues to be frustrating. When trying to click a link to an article, it sends me to a page to login. I login and try again and it takes me to the same page, but shows I am logged in... the button on the top right says to log out, which implies to me, I am logged in. So I try again to manually access the article, through the past bulletin tab and end up in the same place. I am logged in, but it still gives me the login page, and the upper right corner button shows "log out"??

I normally use a Mozilla type browser, but I also tried IE after the site failed using Mozilla.

Ralph

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: Ralph)

I understand this looks like a Message Board problem, but there is not really anything we can do with the MB software to address it.

It is due to problems with the security system that is protecting the PDF files that hold the articles. I am sure the NAWCC staff is putting a lot of effort into sorting it out.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

NAWCC Communications Director

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles

We're trying out a new security configuration starting later today, in fact, in an attempt to eliminate the glitch in the old system.

So, yes, we're working on it even as I write this.

EDITED:

UPDATE: 9:00 AM EST, 3/2/17

The new configuration is now in place. If anyone has any problems getting a "log in required" notice while trying to view a Bulletin article, even if they are already logged in, please report it here. We want to test whether or not this solution works.
    Last edited by Markus Harris; 03-02-2017 at 08:11 AM.
    Markus Harris
    Communications Director (NAWCC)

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: Markus Harris)

Here is a link to the RAN column of the August 2009 Bulletin should anyone wish to try it out in this thread.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: Steven Thornberry)

Steven, it first showed I was not logged in, and logging in only involved one click, then trying your link again, it worked fine.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Problems with links to Bulletin Articles (By: harold bain)

Yeah, I posted the link on one computer and just now tried to access it on my laptop. I was required to log in, and after doing so, the link worked fine for me also.

NAWCC Communications Director

If you are logged in to this message board, but haven't yet visited the main site (nawcc.org), you would probably be forced to re-identify when accessing members-only material from the main site. Just sort of "flash your badge" and walk straight through.

If you log in first at nawcc.org, or if you are logged in here and have re-clicked the log in so nawcc.org recognizes you, you should be fine after that.

The main thing is: you should no longer run into the glitch where you are logged in, view several members-only items in a row, then are suddenly asked to log in again to view a particular one.

THAT'S the bug we're fighting.
    Markus Harris
    Communications Director (NAWCC)