Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default TAPE over a reverse painting -- HELP!

I am so mad right now!!! I bought a Seth Thomas gingerbread mantle clock, the one with the White House painted on the reverse glass. I received it today and the MORON of a seller put thick, clear TAPE all over both sides of the glass, INCLUDING OVER THE PAINTING! OMG!!!

It sticks like glue and I managed to get it off the front without breaking the glass (barely). Now I have removed a slight bit of the tape from over the painting and it's pulling off the paint in places (you can see in the picture). I am afraid to take any more off.

I am just SICK. This painting was in beautiful condition. What kind of idiot puts TAPE over it? He even knew it was painted on there because he advertised it that way!

Anyway. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can save this? How I can get the tape off without taking the painting with it? Or it is a hopeless cause?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST clock1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	332735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST clock2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	332736  

Default Re: TAPE over a reverse painting -- HELP! (By: The Clock Lady)

If it is lifting the paint at all you probably are not going to get it off without damage. I would try to get my money back as damaged goods, but that does nothing for the clock. I do not know of any substance that would soften the glue and get the tape off without some damage to the paint.

If I were to try, since it is otherwise pretty much a loss, I would remove the glass and soak it in warm water if the paint is oil based. If it is not oil paint this would damage the paint. Not sure what else to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Clock Lady View Post
    I am so mad right now!!! I bought a Seth Thomas gingerbread mantle clock, the one with the White House painted on the reverse glass. I received it today and the MORON of a seller put thick, clear TAPE all over both sides of the glass, INCLUDING OVER THE PAINTING! OMG!!!

It sticks like glue and I managed to get it off the front without breaking the glass (barely). Now I have removed a slight bit of the tape from over the painting and it's pulling off the paint in places (you can see in the picture). I am afraid to take any more off.

I am just SICK. This painting was in beautiful condition. What kind of idiot puts TAPE over it? He even knew it was painted on there because he advertised it that way!

Anyway. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can save this? How I can get the tape off without taking the painting with it? Or it is a hopeless cause?

Default Re: TAPE over a reverse painting -- HELP! (By: THTanner)

Oh my GOSH! How tragic! I have not seen that type of image on a kitchen clock glass before, and I can only imagine how upset you must be.

Anyway, you might try heating the back of the glass with a hair dryer in order to soften the adhesive, and once very warm, peel a tiny bit more. This should not affect the paint, unless it has a paper backing. The procedure may very well work, and it might be worth a careful try. I had good luck using this method one time in removing ancient cellophane tape from a kitchen clock glass without any discernible damage. The image in my case was simple stenciled gold paint, but it might work in your case as well. There might be remnants of adhesive left on the glass, but this would be far better than the tape.

If not successful, can you just trim up the tape on the back and leave it in place? Certainly not ideal, but it may be the only solution.

In the meantime, I would certainly inform the seller of his error, so that he/she would not damage any further antiques. I'm thinking that the seller was trying to reinforce the glass for shipping, but used exceedingly poor judgement in doing so. You might even ask for a partial refund, since he seriously devalued the clock if the tape is not removable. This whole situation is just so very sad...

Sincerely hoping for your success,

George

Default Re: TAPE over a reverse painting -- HELP! (By: George Nelson)

Thanks to both of you. Those are good ideas. I am not sure about soaking it, but I might give the heat method a careful try.

The seller is blaming ME because he said I should have used Goo Gone. WTF?!?!? Use Goo Gone on an antique clock with an antique painting? He also said the taping was necessary to keep it from breaking. I have received literally dozens of clocks in the mail, including gingerbread clocks like these, and not one of them has arrived with tape on it (or broken).

Hi, Clock Lady,

Well, for the seller to blame YOU is totally ridiculous! Now, even I am mad! I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, but now it appears that he is seriously ill-informed and several pickles short of a hamburger. Goo Gone? GOO GONE I hope for his sake he isn't selling other clocks. Are you going to keep the clock or ask for a refund?

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post
    Hi, Clock Lady,

Well, for the seller to blame YOU is totally ridiculous! Now, even I am mad! I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, but now it appears that he is seriously ill-informed and several pickles short of a hamburger. Goo Gone? GOO GONE I hope for his sake he isn't selling other clocks. Are you going to keep the clock or ask for a refund?

George
    I know, right?

My reply to Goo Gone wasn't very positive, so I think he re-thought things and he apologized and offered me a fairly substantial refund. I think I am going to take it, and trim the tape around the painting and just leave it on. It substantially de-values the clock but at least it keeps the structure of the painting intact.

I was more concerned about saving the integrity of the clock than anything else. I felt guilty for buying it and being indirectly responsible for that kind of history. I just value their history so much.

If the paint is waterproof I'm pretty sure clear tape adhesive isn't. If you leave the tape on it will eventually discolour and separate from the adhesive but it will then be more difficult to remove.

Try sticking some similar tape on something and leaving it in water for a bit to see if it comes off.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: TAPE over a reverse painting -- HELP! (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    If the paint is waterproof I'm pretty sure clear tape adhesive isn't. If you leave the tape on it will eventually discolour and separate from the adhesive but it will then be more difficult to remove.

Try sticking some similar tape on something and leaving it in water for a bit to see if it comes off.
    Good point. I didn't think of that.

I don't know if the paint is oil-based, which is why I hesitated to soak it. But I will try to find out, and see if similar tape comes off when soaked. Thank you!

I think you better leave a sleeping dog lay.

Heat is a universally accepted method of paint removal...........So that's out

I don't know anything that will remove the tape & not effect the paint. Before throwing anymore darts I'd contact a Art Conservator. Or see if you can find a art conservation/restoration forum

Good luck, wish I had some magic beans for ya
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Default Re: TAPE over a reverse painting -- HELP! (By: BLKBEARD)

Hi, Clock Lady and All,

Blkbeard, I agree with you that "heat is a universally accepted method of paint removal..." but my suggestion was to use a hair dryer to provide the heat, which I believe is incapable of generating the heat necessary to remove paint. I have done this several times to remove atrocities attached to various antiques, all with substantial or total success, and all without damage of any kind to the item being serviced. Of course, in all cases, I applied the heat judiciously and carefully.

Peace to all,

George Nelson

Mild heat can be effective for this, depending on the glue used in the tape.
    I saw a show, once where they put a heat gun up against chemical stripper for removing stickers form a school locker and the heat gun worked quite well.
    Of course that was on powder coated metal and not delicate paint on raw glass.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Default Re: TAPE over a reverse painting -- HELP! (By: MartinM)

Interesting, MartinM. I know heat guns are often used to strip the heat from houses, and I believe is a safer way to deal with lead-based paint instead of sanding or scraping.

Remember, Clock Lady, that my suggestion involves a hair dryer and not a heat gun!

Peace always,

George

I'd still contact an Art Conservator before proceeding further. Once the paint is gone, it's gone forever.
    Paint does not adhere to glass very well to begin with, so caution must rule the day.
    Too bad you don't have a junky broken section reverse painted glass you could tape up & try various suggestions on.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Just wondered if you'd managed to get the tape off successfully? Hope you have. Such a stupid thing for the seller to do!