Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Bulle - to oil or not to oil, this has helped me make my decision

A Bulle just came in that is super original, including having its instructions on the inside of the back door.

I've been oiling in limited places based on the belief that a clock movement is a clock movement - so why does would an electro-mechanical clock somehow not need oil?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32.png  

Registered user.

Default Re: Bulle - to oil or not to oil, this has helped me make my decision (By: mopydick)

Unlike a spring wound clock, there is no load on the pivots.
    The oil is just there to reduce friction of highly loaded pivots.
    Oil is just a dust and dirt attracter.
    I don't oil my electric clocks like the Kundo.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Bulle - to oil or not to oil, this has helped me make my decision (By: Tinker Dwight)

Yes, I understand what you are saying - how EM clocks really don't have large torques within them versus a spring or weight driven clock.

But the thought of metal to metal contact .... just gnawling at each other over time ... shivers down my spine ...

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Bulle - to oil or not to oil, this has helped me make my decision (By: mopydick)

Quote Originally Posted by mopydick View Post
    Yes, I understand what you are saying - how EM clocks really don't have large torques within them versus a spring or weight driven clock.

But the thought of metal to metal contact .... just gnawling at each other over time ... shivers down my spine ...
    Tinker (and the Bulle instruction) is completely correct. Never put oil on electric clocks of the Bulle, Brillie, ATO, or similar types that have little or no load on the gears. One problem particularly on Bulles is that any oil migration (vapor, actual oil) to the "Y" contact yoke arbor bearings can cause poor electrical continuity and erratic operation.

Registered user.

Default Re: Bulle - to oil or not to oil, this has helped me make my decision (By: John Hubby)

Quote Originally Posted by John Hubby View Post
    Tinker (and the Bulle instruction) is completely correct. Never put oil on electric clocks of the Bulle, Brillie, ATO, or similar types that have little or no load on the gears. One problem particularly on Bulles is that any oil migration (vapor, actual oil) to the "Y" contact yoke arbor bearings can cause poor electrical continuity and erratic operation.

Lubricating oils by their intent have high film strength. This is not true of
    all oils. Silicon oils have almost no film strength and are often used
    to both improve electrical contact and keep oxidizing air out.
    Tinker Dwight