Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: Captain Joe

Registered user.

Default Captain Joe

Ships Striking Clock : I have a weems and plath quartz ships striking clock. My complaint is the sound of the bell when struck by the striking coil ( swinging striker activated by a electromagnetic coil) I get a thunk rather than a ringing bell sound. There are two screws mounting the striker mechanism. no adjustment. the bell mounts with one screw, no adjustment.Ive tried fiber washers on the bell screw, I'm lost for ideas. Help The clock works fine and strikes accurately, just sounds poor. Thanks in advance. Joe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Captain Joe (By: Captain Joe)

Sounds to me that the hammer at rest, is touching the bell. If the hammer arm can be bent slightly so that hammer doesn't touch the bell when at rest, that should solve your problem. If this adjustment is not possible, then check to see how the bell is held in place. If there is a nut or screw that you can loosen, maybe shift the bell away from the hammer a bit. If this doesn't answer your problem, that's what you get for not posting pictures.

Registered user.

Default Re: Captain Joe (By: doug sinclair)

Thanks doug for the comeback. This is not a hammer striking bell. The photos should help !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ships clock bell.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	332563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ships clock striker.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	332564

sounds like something is touching the bell.Where is that hammer thing mounted on?When the hammer-bell assembly is removed,give it a try by touching the wires to a 1.5 Volt cell.Does that activate the strike?Does it still sound dump?
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Registered user.

Default Re: Captain Joe (By: Burkhard Rasch)

The striker is mounted on bell with two screws on 1st photo. Th single screw holds the bell to the clock. If I leave that a single screw a little lose it sounds better. It does strike correctly, just does not sound like a bell.

Has it ever sounded good?
    I can't see how that set-up could possibly have a good sound. Could it posibly be assembled incorrectly?
    Willie X

Registered user.

You say it strikes properly. Just to make sure, when it strikes, it should bounce
    back.
    Does it do that or just swing out and sit on the bell?
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Captain Joe (By: Tinker Dwight)

Hmmm... Quite curious. While I have no experience whatsoever with quartz clocks (my collection is mainly 19th century American brass or wood movement clocks), my learning has demonstrated to me that the tighter a bell or coiled gong is, the better it sounds. This includes the gong or bell base as well. When you say that loosening the bell improves the sound, this indicates to me that when the bell is tight it may be out of proper position in some way, supporting Doug and Burkhard's comments. I might be missing something here, but is it possible to re-position the bell slightly? When the bell is tight, could the holder have become very slightly bent in some way so that the bell is in contact with something? (possibly the setting knob?) Is whatever the bell is attached to firm and tight?

Another possibility might be that the "silence", "quiet" or "off" switch is out of alignment, causing the odd sound. Have you looked at it to see if it is functioning properly?

One last possibility here. If the "thunk" you hear has a metallic sounding noise, then it is indeed hitting the bell. If all you hear is a non-metallic noise, then perhaps the hammer is not striking the bell at all, and is just thrusting with a "clunk" and missing the bell completely. Just a thought...

When you say that your clock is striking properly, I'm assuming that you mean it is making some kind of noise the proper number of times per striking session, IE: 12 thunks for twelve o'clock (or however a ship's bell strikes the hours) right?

I know this must be frustrating for you, as I'm sure that the clock once struck with an acceptable tone. Good luck! -George Nelson
    Last edited by George Nelson; 02-12-2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Clarification after re-reading my post

Default Re: Captain Joe (By: George Nelson)

One last observation. It appears from the picture that the two screws holding the striker do not match. Could this be causing a misalignment problem? -George (again)

Registered user.

Default Re: Captain Joe (By: George Nelson)

A bell or gong should be connected at one point solidly only. What George says
    about the other screw could be the issue. It might be that the other is missing
    a standoff or something. It is possible that the coil should be on rubber grommets.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Captain Joe (By: Tinker Dwight)

Hey Joe, I just thought of something else......when I first got into mine, I had the same 'thunk.' I cleaned the strike rocker pivots with alcohol and relubricated them which freed them up to hit the bell correctly and snap back. I didn't want to pull the top pivot bracket up to remove the clapper because I feared breaking it or not being able to bend it back into position correctly.
    Also, make sure that the black plastic hand setting wheel does not touch the bell.......