Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Watches From Your Home Town (By: John Pavlik)

Another Green Bay watch, an Illinois.. I believe this is personalized for a certain person, as I can not find a jeweler by this name..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1081.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	340071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1083.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	340070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1082.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	340069  

Default Re: Watches From Your Home Town (By: John Pavlik)

I really like the Gothic Roman numerals on that one, beautiful watch.

Rob

Default Re: Watches From Your Home Town

This watch has a strong connection to my home town of Pittsburgh, PA. It is a Waltham Appleton, Tracy & Company Grade Model 1857, S# 107,296, manufactured in February, 1864. It is in an 18 karat gold hunting case bearing the retailer's mark of J. R. Reed & Co., a prominent Pittsburgh jeweler, and it bears a presentation on the inside of the rear lid that reads as follows:

"Presented to J.T. Copeland, Brig. Gen. Vol.s [Brigadier General of Volunteers], by the Officer's of Camp Copeland, 1864."

During the Civil War, Camp Copeland was a large federal recruit collection and training base in Braddock, PA, right outside Pittsburgh. (I often pass through Braddock driving to and from work.) Two streets bearing the general's name, Copeland Avenue and Copeland Street, run along what was once the boundary of the camp. A picture of the sign for Copeland Street is shown here.

General Copeland was born in Maine, and had clerked for Daniel Webster, then served in the Maine militia before moving to Michigan, where he served on the Michigan State Supreme Court until the start of the Civil War. He was the original C.O. of the Michigan Cavalry Brigade, who had the foresight to equip them with repeating carbines at a time when the upper brass greatly frowned on it, and who trained and led them with distinction. Another general, George Armstrong Custer, would lead Copeland's brigade to its greatest glory with his now famous cry of "Come on, you wolverines!" on the East Cavalry Field at the Battle of Gettysburg. On the final day of the battle, while "Pickett's Charge" was taking place five miles to the west, the Wolverines and another federal cavalry unit under General David Gregg met JEB Stewart's confederate cavalry in a bloody, head-on clash, preventing Stewart's men from sweeping around the federal rear and taking the Army of the Potomac from behind. It was only battle of the war in which two large, tightly packed cavalry formations charged right at each other with sabers swinging. Of all the federal cavalry units engaged in the battle, the Wolverines suffered the highest casualties. Copeland had been replaced on account of his age (he was 50!) two days (!) before the battle. But if Custer garnered the leadership honors (he had two horses shot out from under him that day), it is Copeland who must receive the credit for having superbly trained the unit, given them their first taste of battle against Stonewall Jackson, and equipped them with the most advanced arms available.

Copeland is pictured in a brigadier's uniform in one picture, and in a colonel's uniform in an earlier picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gen JT Copeland Dial.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	340106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gen JT Copeland Movement #107,296.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	341.5 KB 
ID:	340107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gen JT Copeland Presentation.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	340108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gen JT Copeland Case front.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	340109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copeland Street sign.PNG 
Size:	280.3 KB 
ID:	340110  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brig Gen Copeland.jpg 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	340111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colonel Copeland - 1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	340112  
    Last edited by Clint Geller; 04-13-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Default Re: Watches From Your Home Town (By: Clint Geller)

It is a Waltham Appleton, Tracy & Company Grade Model 1857, S# 107,296, manufactured in February, 1864. It is in an 18 karat gold hunting case bearing the retailer's mark of J. R. Reed & Co. of Pittsburgh, and it bears a presentation on the inside of the rear lid that reads as follows:

"Presented to J.T. Copeland, Brig. Gen. Vol.s [Brigadier General of Volunteers], by the Officer's of Camp Copeland, 1864."

Nice piece of history, and it's in great shape.

Rob

Smile Re: Watches From Your Home Town (By: John Pavlik)

Quote Originally Posted by John Pavlik View Post
    Another Green Bay watch, an Illinois.. I believe this is personalized for a certain person, as I can not find a jeweler by this name..
    John:

You've got a very nice watch.

However, I doubt it was made for individual, but probably a Green Bay jeweler since another watch, Illinois serial number 1273137, labeled “Made expressly for Adolf Michaal” was posted five years ago.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Watches From Your Home Town (By: Kent)

Thanks for that Kent ! I only did minimal searching and it came up blank.. I'm going to see what I can find out ..