Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Registered user.

Default Re: Seth Thomas K&O ATO (By: Bill Stuntz)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
    I see what you're getting at - it certainly makes sense. But I didn't feel that the limited movement to take photos justified shipping mode. In fact, I would have had to move the clock just as much to engage/disengage shipping mode as I did to take the photos.

Dwight: Were you affected by the San Jose Coyote Creek (?) flood evacuation? I heard on the radio that people are now allowed to return to their homes after the water level went back down.
    A different area. It is a big spread out city. We'd be more endangered by Los Gatos Creek.
    My guess is that during the drought, we'd taken more water out of the ground and
    lost altitude in that area. Something blocked the Coyote Creek and lower level of the ground
    was a formula for problems.
    It was totally unexpected by the officials. Most of the people found out they were in trouble
    when they looked out the window and saw the fireman floating by in his boat.
    A lot of damage done and I expect a lot of lawsuits.

If you can't get the rate down any other way, you can either try adding a heavy brass bushing
    at the center of the suspension or raise the arc of the bob a single turn.
    THe bushing would go right above the adjuster.
    Tinker Dwight

Blog Entries

Default Re: Seth Thomas K&O ATO (By: Tinker Dwight)

I'm glad you're OK!
    It's weird - as near as I can tell with parallax & without a second hand, it's EXACTLY on since I set it after taking those photos at about 7pm last night. I didn't adjust it at all. Clock Tuner is showing 10800 +/- about 4bph. I'd been trying to get it up to speed for a few days, and couldn't get it above about 10785. Suddenly it's right on without doing anything except take pictures of the suspension spring! I think it's time to put the dome back on.
    I got tired of: take it off...twist the bell...put it on...test...repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
    I see what you're getting at - it certainly makes sense. But I didn't feel that the limited movement to take photos justified shipping mode. In fact, I would have had to move the clock just as much to engage/disengage shipping mode as I did to take the photos.

Dwight: Were you affected by the San Jose Coyote Creek (?) flood evacuation? I heard on the radio that people are now allowed to return to their homes after the water level went back down.
    I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't advocating putting in shipping mode. That was a separate observation to support the case for making sure the pendulum is always suspended without any slack caused by parts binding.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Seth Thomas K&O ATO (By: MartinM)

No, I understood correctly - it made perfect sense. I was just acknowledging that I know about shipping mode. I had used it when I brought the clock to its new home, but now that it's in a more-or-less stable position, I don't bother with it for small movements. I still don't know why, but after I took the photos, the bph increased JUST enough without trying to adjust anything. It's been running for 2+ days since I took the photos & restarted it. As close as I can tell, it MIGHT have gained about 5-10 seconds since I set it. I'm a happy camper!

Blog Entries

It looks like it's gained about 1 minute since I set it on 2/22. I wonder if I can get it any closer than that. Should I try to tweak it a little, or leave well enough alone?

Registered user.

You might consider trying a new suspension spring.
    You could also make a small brass weight to slide over the adjustable
    weight.
    Otherwise you can move the lower arch piece up a turn on the shaft, if it
    still clears the coil.
    Those are the options or just live with it.
    Tinker Dwight