Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: topspin)

Several years ago I spotted a gross error on one of the better known auction sites listing a 6 size Elgin in a scalloped hunting case. The sale stated that the empty case weighed 20.1 dwt of 14k gold. At that time the gold content would have been $850.00+ but the sale had it listed for $350.00 with a buy-it-now.

What to do...............?

I contacted the seller and advised them about their error. I received a very big thank you and an offer to buy the watch for $600.00, which I did.

Was I a fool? Remember, 'caveat' works both ways.

What did I gain? Much more than I ever hoped for from this auction house, plus the feeling that I did the right thing. I made a few friends and also gained the ability to acquire odd parts and to ask many questions that might not be answered to 'tire kickers'....if you get my drift.

I consider that some of the best $250.00 that I ever spent.
    Love Many.......Trust Few, Always Paddle Your Own Canoe.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Clint Geller)

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Geller View Post
    I have told several unresponsive and/or nasty sellers that my messages at east deprived them of the excuse that they were simply ignorant, and that therefore, they were then (if not, in fact, probably always) knowingly attempting to perpetrate a fraud. Quite a few have blamed self-serving "errors" in their listings on an allegedly "expert" unidentified third party, usually a "watchmaker."
    I'll admit to having done something like this one more than one occasion. The exception is that I don't inform the seller that they now will be held to a higher standard. I just figure, perhaps with some naivete, that if a cheated buyer complains to the auction site, that the auction site will look into prior messages as part of any investigation. If they do, then mine will be in there giving some notice that the seller's representation(s) may have been false, and likely to defraud. If the seller cannot prove that they made an attempt to prove the new information wrong, and continue with the same description, then they were patently dishonest, and should be sanctioned. But alas, I have learned to doubt that the auction sites would take such steps. And that is sad indeed.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: MrRoundel)

A couple of days ago I notified an eBay seller that their Rockford 8s 7 jewel watch actually has 11 or 15 jewels. I don't know why I did that.
    Darrah
    Chap. 15, 124, 139, 149, 168

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: darrahg)

RE: Ended listing on Ebay

I emailed a seller because after reading his description of a watch, it seemed
    like such a shame that he was selling this watch. I do understand
    that I have no idea what the financial situation is of the original
    watch owner, but it still seemed sad. And I know we don't talk about value,
    but the value of this watch is in it's value to future generations of that family,
    not the quality of the watch.

Ended Ebay Listing

Rob

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: musicguy)

I've done it a couple times, and the response has generally been gratitude. I don't do it much, though, because there's so much wrong with so many listings that it's just too much work!

And since my approach to Ebay is 'Caveat Emptor', I also believe 'Caveat Vendor' - if you list a solid gold watch as gold filled with a low Buy It Now price, and I can clearly see the solid gold hallmark in your pics, I'm going to grab the bargain.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: THTanner)

This is an interesting subject; I just contacted a Seller who over the years has become a friend, telling him that he had not re-set his Electronic Digital Vernier Caliper and the Size of the movements was wrong. He thanked me and said what you have purchased will be free Post. I also informed a Seller that what he was selling was not a VC but a Gallet; he thanked me. What really gets me about some Sellers, (I sell movements and Watches myself) is "Deception by Omission" if you inform them they play Dumb. A Watch seller with over 3000 to 4000 sales does know what it is about. I rest my Case. Regards Ray

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings

Hi GeneJockey, a number of years ago I purchased what was listed as a Pinchbeck Watch Case; I asked the Seller was he sure and he said he had tested it. When I put it on the Forum I was informed by a number people that it was an American Watch Case with Eagle Hallmark. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	927.0 KB 
ID:	344135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	344136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	344137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	344138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	344139
    Last edited by Omexa; 05-18-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Omexa)

I hope for your sake, Ray, that it is unmarked solid gold. However, that would be the first of that style case I have seen that was made by an American company. It looks like it would house a Tobias, or other British maker to me. Granted, the Tobias watches that I have seen in the style have been solid karat gold. Cheers.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: LloydB)

Hi, I only paid US$99 for it. Regards Ray

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings

Omexa, you scored.

My opinion has been very strong on these cases for years. I think they are American treasures. Post-Colonial watces I call them (or Pre-civil war).

They are indeed often marked with eagles but sometimes just the makers marks. They are not allowed on the American Watch Discussion since they do in fact use imported Liverpudlian movements. Some are incredible pieces of art. Most mundane but never-the-less treasures.

Many are able to be identified and most are from New York, Philly or Boston but some are from southern states and much rarer. Most are considered to be 18k gold and many are. BUt some are closer to 15k to 16k.

I think you have a solid gold post colonial (pre-civil war) solid gold case, made in new york. Congrats!

Jeff
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Omexa)

back to original terrific question...

My wife runs a sizeable online auciton business on three on line platforms and she has 6 people who post on them. I "butt-out" of this aspect of our business and rarely get involved. My wifes deal. I run Ball Watch Co and my two stores, she runs on line stuff. Works that way.

In spite of constant training, 1 to 5 watches get posted with incorrect or erroneous information each week. We usually catch them and repost but sometimes there are errors. Some small and some major.

we LOVE it when people let us know we messed up. We can then make changes or stop the auction.

So we invite it.

Sadly, two to threetimes per year, we get mentioned on some websight or other with something like "Jeff Hess is supposed to be an expert and look at this huge mistake. The idiot does not even know that...." or worse. "Jeff Hess is tryng to scam people. Jeff Hess said the watch was made in 1892 but it was made in 1933".

We would much rather be sent and email saying hey guys, you messed up...

Another funny thing is that when we make a mistake in FAVOR of the buyer, we see gloating....about how they got over on us...lol

oh well!

Jeff
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Jeff Hess)

Thanks Jeff, I feel really good about you answer. Regards Ray
    Many are able to be identified and most are from New York, Philly or Boston but some are from southern states and much rarer. Most are considered to be 18k gold and many are. BUt some are closer to 15k to 16k.

I think you have a solid gold post colonial (pre-civil war) solid gold case, made in new york. Congrats!

Jeff

Blog Entries

I recently bought a watch from a Ebay seller, he made no effort in describing it and he sells watches, if it was a American made watch he looks up the serial number and post what it says in the database, so he should have some idea on sizes of watches.
    Any ways i saw a nice Longines witha Birks dial so i bought it. It was described as a sz 18, well when it arrived i checked and it was a sz 10. I contacted him about the iformation on the auction was not accurate, he replies he was not a expert, and i told him why not take a calliper and measure the movement or case. Any ways its a nice watch and maybe my comments to him helped him be a better seller.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Kevin W.)

I am "not an expert" on ladies clothing but I could still distinguish a size 10 dress from a size 18.
    If he doesn't know the sizing (or indeed any other parameter) he shouldn't just put in a guess.
    I agree, he should just measure it. Even an outer diameter in mm of the case is usually sufficient for me to confirm that the watch is whatever I already think it is.