Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: oih82w8)

This reminds me of a you tube video I ran across:
    A man in the video was supposed to be some sort of expert, showing viewers groups of nice old pocket watches in a given price range.
    He picks up a watch that must have stopped running and began giving it some pretty violent "twists" to get it going again, and he also tapped it into his other palm or on his knuckle.
    I am not about to bother telling the guy he just over banked the watch balance and probably broke the roller jewel :P

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: THTanner)

My most recent was regarding a "30 hour 8 day wind up mantel clock" that had an electrical cord coming out the back.

Quote Originally Posted by THTanner View Post
    I sometimes ask them a very specific question that forces them to research or review their description of the item. If they answer with a question or statement for clarification I will explain my concern, but if they don't I drop it.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: PWfanatik)

Quote Originally Posted by PWfanatik View Post
    This reminds me of a you tube video I ran across:
    A man in the video was supposed to be some sort of expert, showing viewers groups of nice old pocket watches in a given price range.
    I believe that I saw this same video, and I also thought his behavior was strange.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: THTanner)

Quote Originally Posted by THTanner View Post
    My most recent was regarding a "30 hour 8 day wind up mantel clock" that had an electrical cord coming out the back.
    I actually own an 8 day wind up tambour that has a cord coming out of the back and it also has an outlet on the back that you can plug your coffee pot or other appliance into.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: musicguy)

I gave up a while ago, between snotty answers, no responses, about only 1 in a hundred gives a flying leap what you have to say. The last one I did involved an obviously gold filled case that was advertised as 14K, his response was my jeweler tested it and it was 14K, yeah, on the surface. it isn't worth getting your underwear in a bundle over, let the cards fall where they may and let the buyer beware and deal with PayPal when they are unhappy.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Tom McIntyre)

Interesting clock - - in this case the seller admitted to a copy a paste job on the item using other people's titles from clock items and that he had no idea what the clock was. When he added pictures of the movement and the inside of the clock case it was clear that someone had put a plug in movement in what used to be a spring wound clock and added those fake winding arbors. It was actually a very nice retro fit job,

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    I actually own an 8 day wind up tambour that has a cord coming out of the back and it also has an outlet on the back that you can plug your coffee pot or other appliance into.

I do in several situations.

I was very interested in and bought a very fine watch at a very low price from a seller with very bad listing and very poor photos and some very wrong information. The listing looked very much like the photos were stolen. I asked the seller for another view. When I got the photo, I was confident the listing was real but eBay pulled it. Long story short ,I got it the third time it was listed and it exceeded my expectations.

Sometimes I see a listing of a very expensive item which I have no interest in buying, with a very serious error which would likely void the sale and I advise the seller. I have been thanked many times for this. If it is a very nice item, which I want, but with wrong information, I rarely question the seller, and very carefully when I do. In this situation I rely on the photos, even when they are poor.

I have a few watches I would like to see grow in value so when I see similar examples listed, I will sometimes offer some information to the seller.

There are so many wrong and stupid listings that I leave the vast majority alone.

I try to be as polite and non-threatening.

I did one last week. The guy had advertised it as a 7 jewel watch but it was obviously an 11 jewel one so he was in fact doing himself down. He was very grateful for me contacting him. If I had been interested in buying I doubt I would have said anything!

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: musicguy)

When a wrong ID suggests that the
    material offered is significantly more
    valuable / desirable than it is... yes,
    I'll alert the seller.

Typically the error's been an innocent
    one, followed up with a 'Thank You'.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: LloydB)

I recently bought a pocket watch off Ebay. The seller stated in his description the balance staff is fine. I got the watch and the balance wheel wobbles, staff problem. So i told him about his description. He agreed he was wrong and re funded me some money back to me.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Kevin W.)

I'll contact sellers who make really bad descriptions in their sale. However, I first approach them and ask if they would accept the help. That saves a lot of time. The honest seller will always ask for guidance while the scammers and shysters will either tell you to bug off or not reply.
    Love Many.......Trust Few, Always Paddle Your Own Canoe.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Marty W)

We are sellers and we appreciate it very much. Ebay is losing it's luster and we are down to 5 people who post. We teach them, give them lessons and try to monitor things. But 1% of the time glaring errors are made that slip through.

My wife Katrina who runs our ebay deal would much rather get a "hey your guys messed up a descriptiion" note, rather than what usually happens a) some websight puts up a thread "hess thinks he is an expert and hess clearly is either stupid trying to hoodwink us" or b) a direct note to us saying something like "you guys are scoundrels (or worse) cheats and liars". Jeff
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Jeff Hess)

I have done a fair bit of this (though much less, more recently), with watches of types that are being sold about which I especially care and know something about. Unless the seller is obviously a con artist, I always begin by assuming that they are simply uninformed. Some sellers do appreciate the help, whereas others simply ignore the corrections, and a few are combative. I have told several unresponsive and/or nasty sellers that my messages at east deprived them of the excuse that they were simply ignorant, and that therefore, they were then (if not, in fact, probably always) knowingly attempting to perpetrate a fraud. Quite a few have blamed self-serving "errors" in their listings on an allegedly "expert" unidentified third party, usually a "watchmaker."

Some affect the attitude that there are really no objective facts about any question, just conflicting opinions. Others use their supposed ignorance to their advantage by leaping to convenient conclusions concerning the item they have for sale. For example, they will look in the Booksey and pick out the rarest and most valuable possible variety of any watch that a legally blind, inebriated person might conceivably mistake for their watch, and assume that their watch has all those rare features.

Other times I get retorts on the theme of: "If I'm not ripping you off, why is this issue your business?" It does not occur to them that I might have an interest in the health of the hobby in which I have an investment.

I have also congratulated sellers for clear, accurate, honest descriptions since they are so rare. One of these sellers turned out to be Greg Frauenhoff, before I knew what his ebay handle was.
    Last edited by Clint Geller; 02-12-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC, # 84,947

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Clint Geller)

I saw a very nice condition Elgin in a very clean mint looking B.W. Raymond factory case in an ebay listing.
    I assumed from the title(and the case, and the face of the watch) that it was a B.W. Raymond.
    I was looking at their photos, and the regulator looked wrong to me for the year(and didn't say BW Raymond on the movement).
    I looked it up, and it was still a very nice 17 jewel Elgin, but not a BW Raymond.

I told the seller, and they said to me "eBay only allows a certain amount of characters and some
    times its hard to fit all of the key words into the title and have them read correctly"

I still think it's misleading, and the seller knows it was re cased, but doesn't mention that
    in their listing. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I don't like that when the seller leaves
    out just enough information that it's misleading. And not trying to talk about
    values, it was being sold at full BW Raymond cased prices. I think sometimes
    unknowing buyers believe the more expensive it is the more authentic it must be.
    Last edited by musicguy; 02-17-2017 at 05:56 AM.

...in which case, a fool and his money are soon parted, and it serves them right.

I believe I overpaid somewhat for some of my early watch purchases ; and more recently I have picked up what I believe are some bargains. So it's evened out in the long run.