Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings

Every day when I look at watches listed on ebay I see listings with wrong
    facts about watches. Some say 15j when they are obviously 7J others
    for 17j watches that are 15 jewels or 13j
    Some say they are 18 size when they are 12s or 16s (or vice versa)
    and every other type of misinformation including the wrong serial number listed
    for movement, when they have a very clear photo of the movement.
    Even Elgins listed as walthams

When it comes to jewels, I think if its listed as 13-15 jewels or 15-17 jewels
    in the watch directories they just put the higher jewel count down in their listing(hoping for the best).

Over the years I have contacted many sellers and have let them know.
    Surprisingly most times they say thank you, and correct their listing.
    Other times they just leave the listing as is.

Rob

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: musicguy)

Yes i have helped many and some were polite and glad of the help. Some others not so nice and threatened to report me for harrasment.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Kevin W.)

It's a two way street. Some sellers are way more knowledgeable about watches than some of the potential buyers who email erroneous "corrections".

But don't get me wrong, there are sellers who don't know, sellers who do but don't care, and sellers who are playing games. (And you can substitute "buyers" for "sellers" in the foregoing sentence.)

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Greg Frauenhoff)

true

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Greg Frauenhoff)

I have met some great sellers on here and bought from them with no issues at all.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Lightbulb Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: musicguy)

I do contact them, but only if they say that they're unsure and ask for input.

The one exception is if they state that the watch is broken because they can't set the time (and its a railroad watch). Then I'll drop them a note explaining about lever-setting. I almost always receive a polite thank-you note in return.

For the rest of those stating erroneous information, I figure that most fall into two of Greg's groups; that they know but don't care or that they know but are playing games. Since I can't always distinguish them from his first group, those who honestly don't know, I don't waste my time pointing out their errors.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Registered User mikelikeswatches's Avatar

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Kent)

My favorite is when people say "Not working, needs batteries replaced" when it's obviously a mechanical watch.

Registered user.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: mikelikeswatches)

If I am planning to buy but the pics don't match description then of course I will query and hope seller is responsive enough to reply.

If the seller lists a lever set watch as 'not working, unable to change time' then I keep quiet

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Mark UK)

The commonest mistake that I will send in a correction for, is when they have listed something as a Waltham when it is clearly no such thing. By coincidence I have just this minute done exactly that, and que sera sera. Like the other posters here, I get a mixed response, and I am fine with that. Maybe if 3 people all point out the same mistake, it will eventually sink in.

At the end of the day, most of the people seriously bidding on these old watches are collectors like myself, therefore if I can spot the mistake then they can too, therefore the mistake doesn't really matter anyway.
    On the other hand if someone wants to throw large amounts of dosh around on an old watch that they really haven't a clue about, well, a big part of me thinks they get what they deserve.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: topspin)

I sometimes ask them a very specific question that forces them to research or review their description of the item. If they answer with a question or statement for clarification I will explain my concern, but if they don't I drop it.

Registered user.

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: THTanner)

The Pound took a beating against the Dollar this Summer so I have been concentrating on the European listings. Whilst we like to think of English as being universal many listing are in native German/French/Spanish and google translate of the descriptions sure brings up some weird and wonderful terminology!

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: Mark UK)

Come on then, let's see some examples, so we can all join in the fun guessing what it is that they were trying to get across...

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: topspin)

I do send the occasional alert to a seller that has put up the wrong pictures. That kind of thing. When it comes to descriptions, I generally keep to myself, as people sometimes put "questionable" descriptions up because they want them questionable, but not questioned. After being involved in watches on the internet for so many years, I generally know what items, and sellers, I should stay away from, both conversationally and in purchasing.

The other day I alerted someone to the fact that they had two correct dial pictures up, but two obviously incorrect movement pictures up. The seller thanked me for the alert and took the auction down for a redo.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Come on then, let's see some examples, so we can all join in the fun guessing what it is that they were trying to get across...
    A very informative description from a recent purchase.... "Sie befindet sich im getragenem Zustand. lässt sich nicht stellen! Daher Verkauf als Defekt. Uhr läuft, lässt sicht stellen! Ersatzteilspender oder zum herrichten!"
    and Google translates "It is in the worn state. Can not be posed! Therefore, sale as defect. Watch is running, let's see! Spare parts dispenser or to make up!"

I think the real translation should have been "buyer beware" lol

Default Re: Do you email ebay sellers that have incorrect information in their listings (By: musicguy)

Although I am nowhere near as educated in pocket watch correctness, but I have and still do reply to sellers when their description is incorrect, if I am for sure certain. Most of the time my comments are welcomed, however I have been "blocked" by at least one seller who grew weary of my attention to detail.