Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Watch you wear daily (By: 8x57mauser)

Nice photo

Default Re: Watch you wear daily (By: musicguy)

My daily carry is a 19j 1900 Elgin 18s model 8 grade 240 B.W. Raymond in a Keystone gold-filled swing-out case. The dial has some chipping where the hands attach and the case has a fair amount of brassing, but appears to be the original case. The pictures are from when I first acquired it and before it was cleaned and serviced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0103.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	331131
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0108.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	481.6 KB 
ID:	331136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0110.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	331137

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    Very nice. One of them must "jump into your hand" as you say first?

Do you leave the tags on?
    Yes, I leave the tags on.
    If I'm out of the house and I want to know what the time is, that's what a wristwatch is for. A pocket watch is for pretending to be interested in what the time is, when somebody else is watching (and usually already engaged in a conversation with me.)
    Since *nobody* else around here *ever* carries a pocket watch, the almost inevitable result of getting the pocket watch out, is a load of questions about it. That's when the information on the tag comes in handy. What is it, when was it made, where did I get it, etc.

Default Re: Watch you wear daily (By: topspin)

I show mine off every chance I get. I also mention how nice it is to have a watch that doesn't depend on batteries or the internet. I have a feeling that interest in mechanical watches will be making a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Yes, I leave the tags on.
    If I'm out of the house and I want to know what the time is, that's what a wristwatch is for. A pocket watch is for pretending to be interested in what the time is, when somebody else is watching (and usually already engaged in a conversation with me.)
    So you carry a "Minnie Pearl" watch?

I have to admit that I no longer regularly carry a pocket watch. For quite a while, I'd rotate through various common railroad watches, usually carrying the same one for a month or two at a time. My reason for carrying common watches was that parts were easy to find if I did something like break a balance staff, and also if something catastrophic happened I wouldn't be out an irreplaceable watch. 992s and Waltham Vanguards were some of my favorites for that.

Now, I tend to carry pocket watches under very specific circumstances. If I know I'm going to be out hitting the flea markets and the like, I'll carry a higher grade watch(albeit usually in a base metal or silveroid case) to show that I know what I'm talking about when I look at watches. I carry some nicer watches on Sundays, and also will often carry something interesting to watch events. Lately, I've been carrying my KW16 American Watch Co. or my AT&Co Vibrator, but have a couple of others I go through. Last Sunday was a keywind Bunn I recently picked up. High condition cases stay at home-say what you will but I don't want to put wear on a scarce early case.

I have to admit that most days, I toss on a DateJust(16013). This particular watch was a graduation from my parents so is special to me, but at the same time is also not irreplaceable. It's accurate and reliable-just sort of a watch that I don't have to think about.

Default Re: Watch you wear daily (By: ben_hutcherson)

RE: "if something catastrophic happened I wouldn't be out an irreplaceable watch"

My son would rather that I not even touch my watches (which makes me laugh). I don't feel that I own too
    many that can not be replaced, but then again they don't make any of these watches anymore.
    When I die I have no idea what will eventually happen to my collection. I'm sure (just
    like I see on e-bay everyday) someday someone will be selling off my collection. So, I want to use
    them. At first when I had only had one, I said to myself, I need another in case something happens to
    this one. Then I said, I need another one, then another, then another etc etc etc.
    It's a mental disorder collecting these. The NAWCC museum is full of unused watches that
    can be seen by anyone in person or online, most of mine will be handled(but not regularly).

I also feel that this is a wonderful time to buy these watches because they are so reasonably priced
    compared to any other type of high end watches. You can still find amazing deals on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_hutcherson View Post
    So you carry a "Minnie Pearl" watch?
    Nice pop-culture reference there, I might even use it myself. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ben_hutcherson View Post
    Now, I tend to carry pocket watches under very specific circumstances. If I know I'm going to be out hitting the flea markets and the like, I'll carry a higher grade watch(albeit usually in a base metal or silveroid case) to show that I know what I'm talking about when I look at watches. I carry some nicer watches on Sundays, and also will often carry something interesting to watch events. Lately, I've been carrying my KW16 American Watch Co. or my AT&Co Vibrator, but have a couple of others I go through. Last Sunday was a keywind Bunn I recently picked up. High condition cases stay at home-say what you will but I don't want to put wear on a scarce early case.
    Ok I'll bite... Let's see the "AT&Co Vibrator" then...

Mine is either a Hamilton 325 with a SS case 1901 or (I hate to post this here BUT) an Omega 1902 Sheppard Special
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0903.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	331381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0873.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	331382  

Default Re: Watch you wear daily (By: Geoff May)

It looks like a chip came out of your watch dial, sorry.
    Is this an old or new photo

Name:	DSCN0903.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	457.1 KB 
ID:	331383  

I agree - I'm going to wear and enjoy my watches as well. If we can't enjoy them, then what's the point? But I'm the type of guy that doesn't care for stuff that I can't touch. I am the same about adult magazines; if I can't touch them, then what's the point?- just look at them and dream?

Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Ok I'll bite... Let's see the "AT&Co Vibrator" then...

Here's the American also, albeit out of its case

I agree - I'm going to wear and enjoy my watches as well. If we can't enjoy them, then what's the point? But I'm the type of guy that doesn't care for stuff that I can't touch.
    Everyone has different ways to enjoy a collection.

For me, the research and examining beautiful original, unmolested watches is as much enjoying them as pulling a watch out of my pocket to check the time.

If the argument is made that a watch can only be enjoyed by carrying it to tell time, then I guess I shouldn't have a collection of uncased movements either.

BTW, this is one of the reasons why I ALWAYS encourage folks to attend NAWCC regionals. It's hard to beat "show and tell" time looking at and handling pieces you'd otherwise never see. At the last meeting I attending, I had half a dozen folks(including a couple of regular posters on this forum) sitting around in my hotel room at 11:00 at night with briefcases full of watches that you might only otherwise see in books if at all. At that same show, I was able to handle a unique watch that is pictured in one of Roy Ehrhardt's books and which I've spent a lot of time staring at. Seeing it in person was a real treat.

I'm not going to fault someone for carrying pieces in their collection. At the same time, however, there are other reasons for collecting and someone who chooses not to carry pieces is not an inferior collector.

I understand not carrying a very expensive and very rare watch, but I would think that a collector would have many watches that he/she wouldn't mind wearing. If I had a solid gold watch that was worth a lot of money, I would still carry it but would be very careful to protect it. Some of the watches you're talking about should probably be in a museum.

RE "someone who chooses not to carry pieces is not an inferior collector."

I hope I never gave this impression, sorry

Rob

My carry watch is a 18s 21j Elgin Grade 181

Name:	Elgin181Dial.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	331463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elgin181Movement.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	331464