Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock - advice required (By: Tinker Dwight)

Not sure I understand the question, sorry.

10.00 and 10.25 are times, not current!

Cheers

Peter

Registered user.

Default Re: Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock - advice required (By: puffernutter)

The clocks are intended to be run from a current loop.
    It is the current that actuates the magnetic field.
    The voltage it related to the resistance of the wire and the coil.
    The current of the loop should be measured and adjusted.
    I believe it was stated that the loop current should be 225 ma.
    You may need an adjustable power resistor to set it correctly.
    If you have the right current the wire can be most any gauge and
    any reasonable length ( even a 1/4 mile is reasonable for the switching
    rate you are using ).
    Try setting it up with that.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock - advice required

I came back with some information but it seems you have made a big leap forward. As Tinker says..loop current. The resistance in the wiring should not matter as long as the battery voltage is high enough to achieve the loop current..
    Before seeing this latest development I had looked out all the Gents stuff I have. Two complete slaves ( A &B ) and three movements.(C, D & E ) ) Careful measuring between the soldered connections rather than between the slightly corroded screw terminal gave :
    A: 4 ohms, B: 6 ohms (on this one the coil is marked 6 )
    C: 3.3 ohms, D: 4 ohms, E: 8.5 ohms
    A & B still have the Bakelite cover which are both marked: working current 0.22A - Max: 0.27 A, Min .17 A
    Ohms laws dictates that a 4 ohm coil should tick with only .88 volts across it.
    The 8.5 ohm coil does advance with 1.5 volts but at the lower limit of current specified..It is a little sluggish and it needs to be well fettled.
    So, all Gents slaves are not necessarily 4 ohms. But at least I don't need to go to speculate about one with 32 ohm coil ;-)
    Roger
    whoops... hadn't noticed Tinkers reply #17
    If Peters clock is complete there is a power resistor in the case for setting the loop current..
    Last edited by rogerj; 03-09-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Default Re: Gents Pulsynetic Master Clock - advice required (By: rogerj)

Another schoolboy error!

Before dinner (we have dinner not "tea" in the West Country )

I was looking at the full set of instructions from Gents and was intrigued by the part about slave clocks and accumulators etc., particularly the comment about going up to 80v! Then it occurred to me that as the slave (local slave) in the "transmitter" was working (eventually!) I hadn't actually measured the current, then I also noted that the resistor was set at the minimum and any increase in resistance and it would stop the local slave working, so I was probably at the minimum current (from a 12v lead acid battery) so driving a more remote slave as well was probably a slave too far! So, armed with a second 12v battery (to give 24v) an ammeter and setting the resistance to maximum) I adjusted the current to 0.22A. Guess what? OK, only 40 minutes so far, but the remote slave is ticking every 30 seconds nicely.

I'll report back tomorrow (after Crufts) and let you know if it is still ticking away nicely and whether it's missed any pulses!

Cheers

Peter

Still ticking nicely! Spot on!

Cheers

Peter

Not missed a beat (pulse!) yet.

I now have two more slaves to add - wish me luck!

Cheers

Peter