Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Regency Lancet Twin Fusee Bracket Clock (Reid & Auld)

Purchased this Regency period bracket clock at auction last year. After spending some time in the shop, it is now home and running beautifully. It turns out that there is a repeating function in the movement, and upon further inspection discovered that the original hole on the side of the case for pull cord had been filled. Anyway are a few new photos of the clock that I thought I'd go ahead and share.

Default Re: Regency Lancet Twin Fusee Bracket Clock (Reid & Auld) (By: JDCKent)

The bit of engraving on the backplate is nice, this seems to have continued longer with Scottish made clocks,
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Regency Lancet Twin Fusee Bracket Clock (Reid & Auld) (By: novicetimekeeper)

Beautiful clock! Clean and simple lines and not overly embellished. Just the way I like them.
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Default Re: Regency Lancet Twin Fusee Bracket Clock (Reid & Auld) (By: leeinv66)

Thanks! Apparently it needs a little more help still, because of a runaway strike train at the 1 o'clock position. Don't know for sure what the heck is not catching and stopping it. I'll have to remove the brick of a movement again and closely observe the mechanism to figure out what's going on.

I would remove your "repeat" cord...and see if that fixes it.

Ralph

Default Re: Regency Lancet Twin Fusee Bracket Clock (Reid & Auld) (By: Ralph)

The clock has been doing this since before adding the cord, so it shouldn't be anything related to that. Seemed to strike and stop at the right number when it was out of the case, so thought it was fine. Put it back in the case, and when 1am came along it was right back it. I've switch it over to silent mode for now, until I have time to take it back out fiddle with it. I'll probably find a little better material for the cord itself, and replace it the next time I work on it. Most that I've come across online have that function, including these examples by Handley & Moore.

A really lovely bracket clock and Regency ones are my favourites. Thomas Reid is a well known Scottish maker who was in partnership with William Auld from 1806 until he retired in 1823, died 1831. He was apprenticed in Edinburgh to James Cowan his cousin in 1762 and was then in London from 1770 and then Edinburgh again from 1781 when he succeeded Cowan.

Good luck with sorting out the striking.
    Jonathan.

Default Re: Regency Lancet Twin Fusee Bracket Clock (Reid & Auld)

I was finally able to find the source of the problem with the strike. A piece within the train was bent outward just a hair too far, missing the catch. Now it's back in proper running order. The fret silk had obviously been replaced at one time, and was done very sloppily. I was fortunate to have come across a pristine piece of salvaged 19th century silk velvet. Also found a finer piece of wax cord for the repeat pull that closely matches the fret.

Last edited by JDCKent; 03-15-2017 at 06:33 AM.

can you upload the pictures to the server again please? they seem to have gone
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Regency Lancet Twin Fusee Bracket Clock (Reid & Auld) (By: novicetimekeeper)

My William Webster has the same feature and the cord comes out the bottom with a little brass pull tab. The way mine is currently set, if you pull the string after about 10 till the hour you will get the next hour strike. I am not sure that is correct, but it is the only setting for the snail that lets the one o'clock strike occur properly without catching the tail on the snail as it rises from the 12 o'clock position. I don't think the pull string has anything to do with it, but is more likely that the tail is not dropping onto the one o'clock portion of the snail properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2696.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	336523  
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    can you upload the pictures to the server again please? they seem to have gone

Name:	New 1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	409.3 KB 
ID:	336589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	361.7 KB 
ID:	336590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New 3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	336591  

Registered User prideofmatchingham's Avatar

As the lever is to be pressed downwards for repeat to be activated, my hunch is that repeat hole should have been lower. That also is the case with my clock. Hole being so high up, almost in line with the mechanism, would exert sideways pressure on lever rather than downward.

Unless ofcourse thats the way it was designed.

Glad that silk has been replaced with the current red one. Makes it 'hot'!

By the way, there seems to be a hole on the lower portion of the movement backplate. Possibly that is the place where brass pendulum movement lock was there along with the stabiliser knob. Possibly that explains another vacant hole on the movement support brass L where this knob fits.
    Last edited by prideofmatchingham; 03-17-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    "Be nice to the people on your way up because you will meet them on your way down."

Default Re: Regency Lancet Twin Fusee Bracket Clock (Reid & Auld) (By: prideofmatchingham)

It appears to be in the right spot, after examining how the mechanism operates on this particular movement. The loop that's attached to that release pull is angled far enough upward and back to where I believe a lower placement would require more force. If I pull out and downward somewhat on the string when activating the repeat, it seems to operate quite smoothly and easily.
    I'm glad you approve of the fabric replacement and color choice. I looked at several other period examples online, and most had a red or maroon/wine-colored silk that was similar. It does seem much more appropriate for the clock, and certainly more attractive. I just didn't want to replace it with brand new fabric, although what I found is probably not quite as early as the clock itself. Probably Victorian.
    Hopefully at some point I'll be able to locate a correct-fitting pendulum lock and knurled thumbscrew though for that backplate.

Default Re: Regency Lancet Twin Fusee Bracket Clock (Reid & Auld)

Was happy to recently find a copy, and first edition no less, of Reid's Treatise on Clock and Watchmaking. He also mentions his late partner William Auld in the preface. Interesting book! Surely not the finest example, but does still have all of the foldout plates attached near the back.

Name:	Book 2 .jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	652.2 KB 
ID:	339171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Book 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	347.6 KB 
ID:	339172  
    Last edited by JDCKent; 04-05-2017 at 06:28 PM.