Goal: $300, Received: $215.00 (72%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Chauncey Jerome 30 hr.

I have cleaned Up the movement and bushed one pivot. The strike side seems to be working finally but still working on the time side. When it arrived the plates were loose and parts were floating in the box. This is my first effort at repair. Having fun!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	330263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0931.jpg 
Views:	1130 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	330261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	330259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	330257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	368.1 KB 
ID:	330255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	330264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	330262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0926.jpg 
Size:	347.1 KB 
ID:	330260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0909.jpg 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	330258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	330256
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 02-26-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Replace BIG photos w/ expandable thumbnails

Default Re: Chauncey Jerome 30 hr. (By: DN4911)

This is quite a nice clock. Can you post a photo of it all together when you get the chance?

I also wonder if it's been refinished at some point. I imagine that they would have stained the slightly lighter sections to match (which was done fairly often originally, but refinishers never seem to do).

Default Re: Chauncey Jerome 30 hr. (By: Sooth)

Quote Originally Posted by Sooth View Post
    This is quite a nice clock. Can you post a photo of it all together when you get the chance?

I also wonder if it's been refinished at some point. I imagine that they would have stained the slightly lighter sections to match (which was done fairly often originally, but refinishers never seem to do).
    As requested here is a photo now that I have it back together and ticking away. I believe the glass is original. Yes the veneer has been repaired on some of the edges. I'm very happy with it.

- - - Updated - - -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	343.3 KB 
ID:	334302
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooth View Post

As requested here is a photo now that I have it back together and ticking away. I believe the glass is original. Yes the veneer has been repaired on some of the edges. I'm very happy with it.
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 02-26-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Replace BIG photos w/ expandable thumbnails

Registered User Jerome collector's Avatar

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's very little chance that the movement in that clock is original to the clock. The clock was made when Jerome was working for Benedict & Burnham (soon to be the Waterbury Clock Co.) in 1856-1857. Jerome went bankrupt in February of 1856. With this label, the clock should have a Waterbury type 2.411 movement in it, not a Jerome type 1.311. By the time of the bankruptcy, Jerome was using (exclusively, to the best of my knowledge) a type 1.314 movement. The primary difference between the 1.311 and 1.314 is the use of a rivet to attach the verge pin arm in the latter, rather than a screw (like yours). Your movement is several years too old to be found in a clock from 1856-1857.

Mike

Default Re: Chauncey Jerome 30 hr. (By: Jerome collector)

Ok thanks, good to know. Can you give me a range of labels that go with this movement? Maybe I can find a Waterbury for this case and the right case for the 1.311. Themovement does seem to fit correctly but you're the expert and I appreciate as much info as you can pass along. What years did they use the 1.311?

Registered User Jerome collector's Avatar

First I have to say that precisely dating clocks from this period is difficult. I have only seen this particular movement in two labels (below). Both were printed by John Benham before he moved from 55 Orange St to the Glebe Building around 1855. The only difference between these two labels is that one states "MANUFACTURED BY" and the other "MANUFACTURED AND SOLD BY". The label in your clock was printed at the Glebe Building. There's also a feature of your movement that has not been reported in the literature before (circled on movement photo below). The "shoulder" to the break-arch boss on the front plate has been intentionally filed down (or was the result of an imperfect plate stamping). If you check your movement, I believe you'll find that the other "shoulder" is still present (behind the verge pin arm). I've seen eight examples of this movement, so it was not a one-off oddball. My belief is that this movement and these two labels date to the early 1850s, possibly no later than around 1853 and certainly no later than 1855.

I'd be curious to know if your seatboard has holes in the sides to receive retention pins that went through the vertical rails that the seatboard rests in. If it does have holes, is there just a single set of holes and do they line up with a single set of holes in the vertical rails? If there are holes and they don't line up, that's a clear sign the seatboard (and presumably the movement) is not original. If they do line up perfectly, is there evidence that the seatboard ever had a different movement mounted on it? If everything lines up and there's no evidence for a different movement, then we have a mystery.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120908-1-2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	334577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-Type-JHB-53.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	334578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0903-annotated.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	334579  

Default Re: Chauncey Jerome 30 hr. (By: Jerome collector)

Dear Mike, thank you for your detailed and scholarly response. As to the movement, yes the other "shoulder" is there behind the verge pin. So I take that to mean the movement must be 1850-5.
    As for the the seat board, you are correct again! The holes don't line up. So there must have been a different seatboard there at one time. Therefore I must agree that this movement must predate the case. Therefore I agree the case must be 1856-7. Great detective work thanks so much. Love these Jerome clocks! I wasn't aware of the existence of these pins.

very appreciative of the knowledge and expertise shared in these threads... and the pleasure derived from having my clock horizons expanded daily.

thank you!
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...