Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Smile Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Tom McIntyre)

Tom:

I'm not sure that I completely understand, but I'll work up a few short ones and send them to you offline for comment.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Kent)

For some of the features we want people to record, an image is really needed. It turns out that the selection list will not allow any fancy characters to be used because it does not allow italics, bold, etc. Instead I decided to put together a set of galleries for regulator, hairspring, setting,... and when someone put the cursor in one of those fields, they can see the drop down, but the gallery that shows pictures of each of the options will also appear in the right hand sidebar.

When they are looking at normal search results, the parts breakout page links will also appear there for each model included in their search. That way they will get used to looking there for supplemental information.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Tom McIntyre)

I am still trying to gather images of regulators, setting mechanisms, balances, etc. to show for those who do not really understand the terms, but may recognize the feature on their own watch if shown a picture.

I have also made up some drop down lists as Kent requested and will be adding more since they are pretty easy as it turns out. They may not work exactly as expected since they also allow a general entry in the field and will restrict the list to anything that has already been entered with the same starting letters. It uses datalists which are a standard feature in the new HTML.

I also made the observation form editable for 24 hours after creation. There is no registration or security, so one may edit any new observations. Please be kind if you see someone else has already entered an observation and not ruin their work. Registration using the MB user id system will be included as soon as I can figure out how to do it.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Tom McIntyre)

After a bit of a struggle I have gotten the new server in Columbia working with the nawccinfo Waltham Serial Number Database application. This was done to ensure that the server was configured correctly before moving the Message Board to the same server.

The URL nawccinfo.nawcc.org will become the home of the nawcc-info.org site once all the applications have been transferred to it. All the applications will be updated and restyled to work with cell phones and other modern device.

If you have time please take a look at it using the url in the first post of this thread which has been edited to be current. http://nawccinfo.nawcc.org.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: Tom McIntyre)

Tom,

The choice of pastel background with white letters makes it hard to read the first page.

The vertical scroll bar on my Windows 8.1, IE11, 64 bit system overlaps the right side of the Usage Advice column. Hard a hard time reading Advice until I figured out how to get rid of the scroll bar.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: Dick C)

I ran into similar problems on my iPhone. Apparently some browsers do not like black background (which is what is actually coded) in some elements. I will try to sort that out so it works on all the browsers. I have not done any work to support IE or Safari yet and both are pretty far from the current HTML5/CSS3 standard.

If you can use Chrome, Firefox or Opera those have the best support for the style elements. I will need to recognize the browser type and fall back to its capabilities to get around this (or possibly Microsoft and Apple can get their act together. )

As to the scroll bar, I could not figure out how to get the right column to open to the correct width on initial load. Once you click on any of the tabs, it should adjust the screen elements so everything is visible even with the scroll bar there. the scroll bar will effectively come out of the center section and the two side elements will have more or less constant width until the screen gets small when they will become the top and bottom elements of the central work area rather than left and right.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: Tom McIntyre)

The column width issue has been corrected although there is not yet much content for the placeholders there.

I also decided to merge the glossary into the application, so it is now available on the glossary tab. There is more creativity in it than one normally finds in a glossary, but it seems worthwhile to try to standardize some of the abbreviations and terminology with respect to Waltham.

I would appreciate some reviewing and feed back here or via email, whichever you prefer.

The observation reporting system could also use some exercise and feedback on its utility. I still have not put together the pictorial diagrams to support reporting on features like type of hairspring, type of balance, regulator, etc.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Registered user.

Hi Tom, Hope this is the correct thread to post this. I have used the Serial number look up to check my At&Co watch of which I attach photo's. The data base shows this mechanism as Grade 35 and 15 jewel. It is clearly engraved AT&Co and 17 jewel. I presume this was a mixed run at the factory and that the Grey Book has not seperated the grades?
    I also note that the data base states that some 24,200 were produced. Would this be Grade 35's ? I ask as I note on a competing data base that the number produced is stated as 141,790. Your advice would be grately appreciated. Thank you
    Allan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020951.jpg   P1020950.jpg  

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: AllanB)

I'm trying to decide whether it's a good thing that we have more than 1 database that tries to combine the surviving Waltham factory records with more recent observations.
    Part of me wants to try to merge them into a single authoritative source, but part of me (the part that has worked on actual IT projects) thinks it's best not to try to "fix" what isn't actually broken.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Hi Tom, Hope this is the correct thread to post this. I have used the Serial number look up to check my At&Co watch of which I attach photo's. The data base shows this mechanism as Grade 35 and 15 jewel. It is clearly engraved AT&Co and 17 jewel. I presume this was a mixed run at the factory and that the Grey Book has not seperated the grades?
    I also note that the data base states that some 24,200 were produced. Would this be Grade 35's ? I ask as I note on a competing data base that the number produced is stated as 141,790. Your advice would be grately appreciated. Thank you
    Allan
    The new database that I am checking out now, has the ability to look at the original records for any Waltham watch. The number in your header does not appear to be the serial number on the watch. I read that as 3247138. In the instance of this watch, the hand written ledgers and the gray book agree that the run was a mixed run of Grade 35 and AT&Co. Those are both actually the same grade one unnamed and the other named. A lot of these had the jewel count upgraded to 17 jewels after the production started. Yours happens to have really nice marking for the 17 jewels, but some are much coarser.

When you look up your serial number the links shown in the form will display images of both of the pages that relate to the watch.

I just checked and the new applications shows the number of 17 jewel AT&Co grade 1883 models to be 32,650 in 50 runs. Of those 29,090 are listed as open face and 3,060 as hunters with another 500 n one run that are not described as either HC of OF.

You can find this information by using the general search form and entering whatever information you know about a watch.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 02-02-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Registered user.

Hi Tom , Thank you for this helpful advice. I'm sorry about the incorrect header I just used the reply to thread tab and it must have picked up on the previous response. I do like this AT&Co mechanism and am looking for a suitable GF case to house it in as I do not think the swing out silverode one is original or best suits the mechanism.
    May I take this opportunity to thank you for all the work undertaken to update this extremely useful database and for the time taken in answering queries like mine.
    Allan

Blog Entries

I have made some mostly cosmetic changes to the site. I would appreciate a review and reports of errors found. I am particularly interested in anything you find confusing.

You may now enter any Waltham watches you have as data for the site.

The observations facility is working and will get more visual aids to help beginners understand what they are describing.

Currently the edit window is 24 hours and it is not connected to the Message Board security (as it will eventually be) so anyone can make edits to any observations that are open. If you see something in one of your observations that needs correcting, contact me and I will restart the edit clock for that observation.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

I entered an observation for 19139059 - describing the case markings. My id was truncated and the date was wrong. I tried to edit but could not.
    Ron DeGenaro

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Ron DeGenaro)

Thank you. I should make the id longer. I was thinking that people would use their initials in that field, but there is no reason to require or assume that.

The date should have been assigned as the current date. I did not intend that you could enter a date there since it is taken as the date the observation was made. If information about sale date is available, I expected it to go in the remarks field. (But once again, not really a good assumption).

The reason it would not let you edit is that the corrupt date made it look like it was more than 24 hours old. I will have to check how that happened.

------ later-------

I changed the id to 50 characters and fixed a bug in the date code where I had left off some quotes. Thanks again for reporting the bug.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 02-14-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: update with fix
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

I was trying to review the observations that have been entered into the database. I decided to add a facility to review observations by date range, to track the activity on the database.

The Observation tab has an upper section to view the information for a particular serial number and to edit it or enter a new observation if you have permission to do that.

The lower section has two date input fields that you can use to review the observations in a date range. When a list is displayed, you may click on the serial number of any of the observations to see the available details of the observation.

If there are people who want to review the existing observations and make additions and corrections, the help would be welcome. I will need to add some simple account handling to do that. There are also about 5,000 emails that could be processed to generate additional observations. The emails are from folks would could not figure out how to enter observations on the old form, so will need interpretation.

It will be a while until I have this application integrated with the Message Board login facility. Once that has been done it will be easier to set up others to help.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers