Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Tom McIntyre)

When doing a simple serial number lookup, is it possible to also clear the results fields that show up? I find the prior results that persist on the different tabs a little distracting when I initiate a new search.

I also found it challenging to figure out how to search for numbered grades. For instance, I entered “250”, “No.250” and “No. 250” before I hit on “No 250”. (The period was used in the gray book). I think I will remember the correct format now, but a first-time user will be challenged. I am not sure how to resolve this, except by use of the “%” (see last comment).
    The previous database was more forgiving in this regard — apparently it showed all results that included the provided term so that a search for “250” still brought up the desired results.

It is also not clear how to use the “%” symbol and its effect is not clearly predictable. By trial and error I figured out to place it in front of the “250” to get the search results I was looking for. However, on another search I also used it at the end of a search term to get results. For instance, I wondered how to find the movements made for Fogel (Cronometro Victoria, Cronometro Supremo, etc.). “cron %” or “cron%” brought me what I was looking for, but “%cron” yielded something entirely different and “% cron” brought no results.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Jerry Treiman)

I'll take a look at the clearing issue, but how would I know when you wanted it cleared? If I clear it on the first keystroke or with the erase icon, you cannot use the form content to decide what serial number you want to enter. I presume you did realize the eraser symbol would erase the input field.

The syntax of the % is relatively straightforward. The character itself stands for any number of any character. If you envision it as representing any characters before or after what you are looking for it will work for you. In your examples, you used a space character that would not appear in the targets. Since it followed or preceded the % it was a required character in the result.

A string of characters like %r%max% would find both premier maximus and riverside maximus. Of course %max% would work just as well. The % functions just like * does in other search environments, but it is a troublesome character in sql.

The previous search for Waltham bracketed anything you entered in % characters. The current usage lets you find strings that start or end with a specific set of characters. I thought it was worth the additional learning load.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Tom McIntyre)

What does it mean when I look my walthams serial num up on the database and the only information that is shown is Asst Spec in the grade column?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: rolandantrobus)

Quote Originally Posted by rolandantrobus View Post
    What does it mean when I look my walthams serial num up on the database and the only information that is shown is Asst Spec in the grade column?
    I may not understand your question. When you look up a serial number the result is displayed in a table and there is no grade "column". If you are doing a general search that produces results for the production display, putting in a single serial number in the general search form will probably return the entire database of 24,611 runs (in pages of up to 200 runs each).

If you do a general search for the grade %a s s% (we apparently will not allow the use of that word without the spurious spaces) it will return all 33 runs that are listed as some version of "assorted" with all in the Gray book. If you click on the first serial number of any of those runs, including the one with your watch, you will be shown the details for that run, which will be largely empty. If you then click on the link for the source page, you can read the page from the gray book that includes all that is historically known about the run of watches.

However, Jerry Treiman has been tracking down the assorted specials for many years and may be able to provide additional information if you post the serial number here. With that information in hand, you could fill out the observation form for the watch and anyone looking in the future at that run would see your serial number as a link to the observation.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 02-19-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Hello Tom.
    The ser num is 17187963 when entered a page comes up with " error with SQL syntax" however the link to the pdf from the gray book is there and it is that that also shows asst spec in the grade column. The watch is a 16s 15j Marquis in gilt.

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: rolandantrobus)

I've read and reread your post Tom and I think I understand it a bit better now. So mine appears to be part of a group of "assorted specials" Its a pity tho' mine doesn't appear to be very special!

Blog Entries

Thanks for finding that. The data in the database needs a little more massaging. The bit of code that tries to find out "how many were made" breaks because there is an illegal character in the grade name, i.e. the apostrophe.

-------------------------------------------
    I fixed it. The 30 runs that had Ass't Spec as the grade now have Asst Spec as the grade. When the observation form is entered, the code fixxes that sort of thing, but I did not think about it in the existing data.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 02-19-2017 at 09:30 PM.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Smile Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    ... The observation entry form has a field to reference a URL with more information such as pictures. I would appreciate users posting their watch in this thread when they enter it into the database and using the URL of their post in the database field. ...
    I added the observation of these two model '83 Appleton, Tracy & Co. grade movements (4725549 & 5741327) when I first saw them on eBay. Now that the auctions are over, having obtained the sellers' permission to use their pictures, I'm posting them here.

However, now I'll need somebody to add the URLs to the observations.

I just tried looking for the two observations (made less than a week ago) and couldn't find them. Did I err in getting them recorded?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18S_17J_AT&Co_4725549_M_ cjsoutlet.jpg   18S_15J_AT&Co_5741327_ coin-corner.jpg  
    Last edited by Kent; 03-20-2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Reported I couldn't tind the two observations
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: Kent)

Kent, I think your observations must not have gotten filed.

The observation screen has an area at the bottom where you can enter observation dates and see all the observations reported in that date range. There are no observations recorded after the 1st of March. Among the possibilities is that something is broken in the application. It might only be working for me.

OK, there are problems. I am way overloaded at the moment. When entering an observation, you must use the file tool at the upper left of the observation form to put the information in the database. It looks like a piece of paper and shows the file observation note when you put the cursor over it.

Rather than clutter the screens too much, I was/am trying to keep it very simple even if the learning curve is a bit steep.

The ability to see recent observations with the form is not working probably because the dates are getting filed in the wrong format. The observations will still show up if you select the serial number and it has been entered.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Smile Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: Tom McIntyre)

Here's yet another model'83 that ain't what its supposed to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18S_17J_AWWCo_7453909_heygreatwatch.jpg  
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Smile Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: Kent)

And another one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CS_AT&Co_18S_17J_6025834_tiqman.jpg  
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia