Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations

The application that was formerly hosted by NAWCC-Info at my home is now on-line in a new application.

You may explore the application at http://nawccinfo.nawcc.org. That URL will change when it moves to its final form.

I would like to encourage all who are interested in this topic to explore the application features and the information in the database. You now have the ability to enter your own information into the database and edit existing observations. When the security portion of the application is in place, you will need credentials to edit an existing observation.

The observation entry form has a field to reference a URL with more information such as pictures. I would appreciate users posting their watch in this thread when they enter it into the database and using the URL of their post in the database field.

I will appreciate any feedback on the design or usability as well as help in exercising the software and checking the accuracy of the current information.

If you see something you think is an error, you can look at either the ledger or gray book page associated with the run of serial numbers in question.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 01-29-2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Edit the URL to current value
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Talking Watham 1872 model 670044 (By: Tom McIntyre)

This watch was the top performing watch at the 1876 Centennial Exposition, the event that marked the introduction of American industry to the world stage. It has had a difficult life but is still a great treasure to me.

It was owned by my friend Len Dionne for many years and was given to him by another employee at Polaroid.

The watch has the additional distinction of being jeweled on both plates in the center, which is different from the description and the majority of first run 1872 model watches seen.

Note: to get the URL of a post as opposed to a thread, click on the post number in the upper right corner and use the resulting URL in your reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0678.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	409.2 KB 
ID:	329508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0679.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	421.6 KB 
ID:	329509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0680.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	600.9 KB 
ID:	329510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0681.JPG 
Size:	591.2 KB 
ID:	329511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0682.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	569.0 KB 
ID:	329512  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0683.JPG 
Size:	498.0 KB 
ID:	329513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0684.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	682.9 KB 
ID:	329514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0685.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	673.5 KB 
ID:	329515  
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 01-19-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Note about post URL
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Talking Waltham 1873 model 720529 Centennial Exposition watch (By: Tom McIntyre)

This watch is in contrast to the high performance 1872 model watches that were tried at the Centennial Exposition.

This watch would have been displayed in the jewelry/ladies section of the watch exhibit. Waltham set up a watch assembly line at the Exposition and manufactured watches on site. The cuvette of this watch is marked for the Centennial. (I will post pictures of the cuvette soon.)

Name:	DSCN7200.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	267.5 KB 
ID:	329517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7199.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	329516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7201.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	329518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7204.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	329519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7206.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	329520  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7207.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	329521  
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 01-19-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Smile Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Tom McIntyre)

My thanks go out to Tom, and all of those who assisted him, for creating and updated and very, very useful resource. The ability to enter Reported Observations that are accessible will eventually "fill in" those runs that Waltham combined in the "gray book" and greatly enhance the usefulness of the resource.

I make this comment in the spirit of suggesting an improvement, rather than as a complaint. Having entered the watch below as a Reported Observation, I found the lack of drop-down menus made the process more cumbersome than it would have been had drop-down menus been available. Also, the use of drop-down menus would ensure uniformity in the terms used. For those uncommon items not listed in the drop-down menus, the bottom choice could be "Other - See Remarks"

It is characteristic of these CPR grade model 83s that the damaskeening on the barrel bridge doesn't match that of the top plate. For more about these watches, see Waltham's Canadian Railway Movements Encyclopedia article.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Smile Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: Tom McIntyre)

This Crescent St. movement was up-jeweled prior to leaving the factory as described in the 1894 ad shown below.

Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: Tom McIntyre)

Very fun. While not particularly remarkable I'm sure, here's my venerable 1892 that I have enjoyed carrying around. I have some nicer watches (most of which have matching hands ), but this is the one that usually goes with me.

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	329568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	329569  

Default Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: TJCornish)

I hope this is where I should bring this up.

I input the 6538959 and it brings up the correct page.

However, when I click on the first source link it brings up a page beginning with 6533996 (it goes on to 6534XXX so I am not reading an 8 as a ​3)

Yet, even if it was 6538996 it is the page after the one I am looking for.

The second source link is correct.

Confused by how I described the situation? Me too.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: onsite)

Jerry and I created those maps over the holidays, so we certainly could have had some typos in the file names that generate the links, I do not think there will be a lot of those and I will correct them as they are reported. If you find a reference in error, please report the first part of the file name for the page. i.e. doe the page name say 2p230 or something like that?
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: Tom McIntyre)

Though I don't see a lot of Walthams, I want to say thank you very much for all the work that has been put into this. Absolutely wonderful resource. I'm sure to have a good read and maybe if I find anything to add, I'll think about it carefully.

Default Re: Waltham Serial Number Records and Observations (By: roughbarked)

Tom, serial #6538959 brings up a filename of 2p239n, that page begins with serial number #6533996.

I add my thanks to those of you who made the effort to update this resource.

Blog Entries

Default Observation security (By: onsite)

The observations are lightly protected while I work out the security structure for the application. At the current time, observations are protected from change after 24 hours. I.e. if you enter a new observation, you can continue to edit it for 24 hours. If you notice an error after 24 hours, you can notify me via email, or submit a new observation with the corrections in it using an adjacent serial number to the actual observation and a note that it is a correction.

If you try to enter an observation for a serial number that already has one, your effort will be redirected to the observation display with a message the editing is not allowed after 24 hours. When registration service is added to the application, that restriction will change to editing your own observations for some reasonable period of time to be determined.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    My thanks go out to Tom, and all of those who assisted him, for creating and updated and very, very useful resource. The ability to enter Reported Observations that are accessible will eventually "fill in" those runs that Waltham combined in the "gray book" and greatly enhance the usefulness of the resource.

I make this comment in the spirit of suggesting an improvement, rather than as a complaint. Having entered the watch below as a Reported Observation, I found the lack of drop-down menus made the process more cumbersome than it would have been had drop-down menus been available. Also, the use of drop-down menus would ensure uniformity in the terms used. For those uncommon items not listed in the drop-down menus, the bottom choice could be "Other - See Remarks"

It is characteristic of these CPR grade model 83s that the damaskeening on the barrel bridge doesn't match that of the top plate. For more about these watches, see Waltham's Canadian Railway Movements Encyclopedia article.
    Kent, the fields could be replaced with selectors or with a field that allowed arbitrary input but also displayed the selections of suggested terms. That feature is related to the glossary that is also incomplete and not properly formatted.

If someone can contribute the list of suggestions for each of the fields, I will be happy to integrate those lists into the Observations Entry Form. If someone would like to take the glossary and clean it up and format it, I will try to reproduce it in html for the application.

The resource that is most scarce at the moment is my time but I like the way this is going and I am learning a lot about CSS, HTML, PHP and JavaScript. The more I learn, the easier this gets.

At the moment, I am putting research into integrating the Message Board login facility with the new application. That may lead to improvements in the login integration across all the NAWCC sites.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Smile Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    ... If someone can contribute the list of suggestions for each of the fields, I will be happy to integrate those lists into the Observations Entry Form. If someone would like to take the glossary and clean it up and format it, I will try to reproduce it in html for the application. ...
    Tom:

I'll start working on a list of suggestions for each of the fields.

Regarding the glossary, I'll take a look at cleaning it up - but what specifically do you mean when you say "format it"?
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Kent)

By format, I just mean the layout of the columns and headings associated with the various abbreviations and terms. In many cases there is a "kind" of information followed by the short form and then the long form for each of the variations on that kind of information. (If that makes sense).

The link in the app shows the current somewhat butchered glossary.

I looked up the tools for doing this "correctly" the feature is not supported in Safari but is there in all the other browsers. Jeweling is something that few understand (i.e. that it differs from jewel count). Waltham uses plain through 5 pairs but does not include caps. I condensed the nomenclature and added a numeral for the number of caps. There are more patterns than thes, but these cover over 90% of the cases.

Code:
    <datalist id="jeweling">
      <option value="plain">
      <option value="2hole">
      <option value="1pr">
      <option value="4hole">
      <option value="2pr">
      <option value="3pr">
      <option value="4pr">
      <option value="4pr+2">
      <option value="4pr+4">
      <option value="4.5pr">
      <option value="4.5pr+2">
      <option value="5pr">
      <option value="5pr+2">
      <option value="5pr+4">
      <option value="6pr">
      <option value="6pr+2">
      <option value="6pr+4">  
    </datalist>
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 01-21-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: show jeweling standard options
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waltham 1883 model 10033659 Canadian Pacific Railway (By: Tom McIntyre)

The datalist facility has additional features that will be useful to the application. In particular, I am confident we can use small icons like the ones that are used for search, erase, edit and file to provide custom images of regulators, balances and other categories to use for selecting a match to what is seen on the watch.

I am hoping that someone here has access to good black and white silhouettes of the designs which can be transformed to glyphs to use in the lists. The kind that appear in the Swiss watch part lists would work, but I do not have any at hand.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers