Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Question Horological CAD Design - Any recommendations?

Good day all,

I am looking for a 3D CAD software for use in designing an entire, complicated movement from scratch. I currently have AutoCAD and am thinking of getting Inventor, but I am leaning towards either SolidWorks or the the horologically dedicated "Tell Watch" by Tell Softwares, a division of AiM. I need something with the capabilities for advanced mechanical and constraints design as well as kinematic and mechanical motion simulation. There is also Solid Edge, by Siemens, which offers its time-saving "Synchronous Technology". SolidWorks and Tell Watch have been adapted by major companies such as Patek Philippe, Franck Muller, Hublot, Zenith and Chopard.

While SolidWorks may be powerful, you will have to create all of your parts from scratch and perform complex setup to enable any mechanical simulation of the movement. Tell Watch was designed specifically for watchmaking and appears to provide the CAD and exhaustive parts library materials to act as a standalone design platform supporting full movement simulation. Here is their site in which you can find some fascinating demonstration videos that seem too good to be true. Another fascinating plus is their provision of tools for generating milling cutter profiles from an existing gear. It is possible I may have to contact them first before I can obtain more details on the software's features and operation. Anything to expedite things and allow me to concentrate on getting the complications to work.

Let me know what you guys think.

Regards,
    Mr. Haelscheir

Default Re: Horological CAD Design - Any recommendations? (By: Mr. Haelscheir)

Contact David LaBounty. He is a CAD user for Horological items.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.