Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: barrel rotation

Registered user.

Default barrel rotation

Hello Everyone,
    I am attempting to design and build a very simple mantel clock. I have the gear train and escapement figured out and found some great information about mainsprings in Daniels book but I have managed to confuse myself. I have read in several places that after winding the main spring the arbor rotates in the opposite direction. My question is or maybe I am just over thinking this the barrel rotates in the same direction the spring is wound correct? And the final question is, is there a prefered or most common mainspring coil direction? I appreciate the help and sorry for the stupid question the more I read the more I confuse myself.
    Thank you,
    Jason

Default Re: barrel rotation (By: croyleje)

Hi Jason,
    For a mainspring in a barrel, the barrel will rotate in the same direction that the spring was wound while the arbor remains stationary, held by the ratchet and click. For open, loop-end mainsprings, the arbor will rotate in the opposite direction it was wound while the end of the spring is fastened to a pillar and is therefore stationary. Perhaps these two configurations are causing the confusion.
    Regarding the preferred mainspring direction; I have seen them go both ways. I prefer to wind in the clockwise direction; just seems more natural to me.
    Allan

Default Re: barrel rotation (By: croyleje)

Think through Newton's Laws and a bit of physics. Equal and opposite reaction is the key. If you wind it clockwise, it will unwind counter clockwise. Also watch the click as you wind, When you take pressure off the key the ratchet sets up against the click putting pressure the opposite of the way you turned the key.

Quote Originally Posted by croyleje View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I am attempting to design and build a very simple mantel clock. I have the gear train and escapement figured out and found some great information about mainsprings in Daniels book but I have managed to confuse myself. I have read in several places that after winding the main spring the arbor rotates in the opposite direction. My question is or maybe I am just over thinking this the barrel rotates in the same direction the spring is wound correct? And the final question is, is there a prefered or most common mainspring coil direction? I appreciate the help and sorry for the stupid question the more I read the more I confuse myself.
    Thank you,
    Jason