Goal: $300, Received: $280.00 (94%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: THTanner)

Quote Originally Posted by THTanner View Post
    Having worked on similar issues when I ran a website I can sympathize whole heartedly with the IT team. This stuff has gotten so complicated and gets changed so often by parts of the puzzle that are beyond the control of the IT staff that it is a total nightmare. It will take some time and they need all the support we can give them without getting in their way.

Let us know what we might do to help. I tested the older method of uploading pictures from my PC as well as the Select button and got the same results either way.
    I also spent years dealing with software.

Shouldn't we be concerned that anyone registered on this board can Pin your or my images to Pinterest where the information can be sold to firms for marketing purposes and also potentially used by Spammers?

Social networking, be dam.ed, the changes made to this message board without understanding the consequences should be considered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinterest

Now, if I am totally misunderstanding this, my apologies.

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Dick C)

Absolutely a major concern. Also I have seen pictures on the board that are clearly not original to the owners. This is usually not a problem but does have the potential of copyright issues.

I don't know of any way to prevent people from copying pictures from a bulletin board like this. Once copied to their PC they can Pin or print or do whatever they choose. I have tested four different ways now to grab a picture off this board and save it. This includes a right click and copy; a PRINT to a file instead of a printer; a screen capture program with cropping capability; and simply taking a photo of the screen using my iPhone. The webpage folks cannot stop all of that no matter what they try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick C View Post
    I also spent years dealing with software.

Shouldn't we be concerned that anyone registered on this board can Pin your or my images to Pinterest where the information can be sold to firms for marketing purposes and also potentially used by Spammers?

Social networking, be dam.ed, the changes made to this message board without understanding the consequences should be considered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinterest

Now, if I am totally misunderstanding this, my apologies.

NAWCC Communications Director

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Tom McIntyre)

Pinterest is a social media site similar to Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Instagram.

Pinterest's primary purpose is to provide users with a virtual "pin board" that contains all of the "pins" (links) to images found by the user on the web, collecting them into a single viewable thumbnail gallery. Pinterest users can look at each other's galleries and click the thumbnails to see the photos fullsize.

Pinterest is essentially the same as Facebook, except it's almost exclusively pictures (not whole posts or articles) and instead of a "share" button that links/posts the content to a FB newsfeed or profile page, it's a "pin it" button that links/posts the content to a Pinterest page.

No transfer of authorship or ownership is implied by doing so, same as with Facebook. Image owners retain whatever rights they had when the image was posted at the source site. All Pinterest does is let its users find pics they like and virtually "pin" them to a virtual corkboard.

Pinterest users can "pin" pictures from here even WITHOUT the "Pin it" option, the same way Facebook users can share material by copying and pasting the URL onto their FB wall.

I surmise the "Pin it" option was added to this board as part of a suite of social media "helper" plug ins, like the Facebook "share" and "log in" facilities that have been used here at various times. It was installed as a convenience to message board users who also frequent Pinterest, as a way of allowing them to stockpile links to their favorite images from here; nothing more sinister than that.

From what I can see, the existence of the "Pin it" plug in has absolutely nothing to do with the recent speed difficulties and image upload difficulties occurring on this board. It's just another form of social media content "share" button.

Regards,

Markus Harris
    Markus Harris
    Communications Director (NAWCC)

Blog Entries

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Markus Harris)

The last major upgrade of the Message Board was three years ago and that was when the social media links, including Pinterest, were installed. As the others have mentioned the tool does not add any function, only convenience for those who want to keep an Internet scrapbook.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Harris View Post
    Pinterest is a social media site similar to Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Instagram.

Pinterest's primary purpose is to provide users with a virtual "pin board" that contains all of the "pins" (links) to images found by the user on the web, collecting them into a single viewable thumbnail gallery. Pinterest users can look at each other's galleries and click the thumbnails to see the photos fullsize.

Pinterest is essentially the same as Facebook, except it's almost exclusively pictures (not whole posts or articles) and instead of a "share" button that links/posts the content to a FB newsfeed or profile page, it's a "pin it" button that links/posts the content to a Pinterest page.

No transfer of authorship or ownership is implied by doing so, same as with Facebook. Image owners retain whatever rights they had when the image was posted at the source site. All Pinterest does is let its users find pics they like and virtually "pin" them to a virtual corkboard.

Pinterest users can "pin" pictures from here even WITHOUT the "Pin it" option, the same way Facebook users can share material by copying and pasting the URL onto their FB wall.

I surmise the "Pin it" option was added to this board as part of a suite of social media "helper" plug ins, like the Facebook "share" and "log in" facilities that have been used here at various times. It was installed as a convenience to message board users who also frequent Pinterest, as a way of allowing them to stockpile links to their favorite images from here; nothing more sinister than that.

From what I can see, the existence of the "Pin it" plug in has absolutely nothing to do with the recent speed difficulties and image upload difficulties occurring on this board. It's just another form of social media content "share" button.

Regards,

Markus Harris
    "Copyright solely with Richard Crosby reuse prohibited".

Copyright Information from the NAWCC Message Board:

Copyright Notice
    ©2002-2014 NAWCC Message Board - All Rights Reserved Worldwide

1. It is the policy of NAWCC Inc. and the NAWCC Message Board (hereinafter “this MB”) to respect the copyright of third parties and to claim and defend its own copyrights to the full extent of the law.
    2. All NAWCC-owned Trade Marks, Titles, Logos, Names and Descriptions of Categories and Forums including but not limited to "NAWCC Message Board" are the property of NAWCC Inc. and World-Wide Ownership Rights are hereby asserted and protected.
    3. All Intellectual Property and Images appearing on this MB in any form or format are Ownership and Copyright Protected World-Wide. NAWCC INC. and/or individual authors and contributors own the copyright for the content.
    4. NAWCC warrant that you will retain full copyright ownership, rights, and privileges for each post you make on this MB and the content therein, and you may reuse those posts in any way desired. If you wish to share information contained on this MB it is recommended to use a link to the site or to a specific thread. No thread or part of a thread containing posts by multiple authors may be copied and placed on any other website without specific written permission of the NAWCC message board administrator
    5. By contributing to this MB you agree to grant NAWCC a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable license for use of and the right to publish and distribute your postings for educational purposes. Such use includes threads or parts thereof containing your postings. Publication and distribution is limited to NAWCC's own publications now known or later developed, their own websites, or other media published or created by NAWCC. Further, NAWCC will exercise due caution to ensure your postings are not used out of context. You cannot withdraw or retract your postings or seek payments from NAWCC in relation to this license now or at any time in the future.
    6. NAWCC further agrees that it will not sell, transfer or license the right to copy and use threads from this MB to outside third parties.
    7. If an author desires to deny the automatic transfer of rights to NAWCC as described in paragraph 5 above he/she has the option to opt-out of the automatic license provision for any specific, single message posting or any individual image posted anywhere on this MB. If you wish to apply the opt-out, NAWCC requires the following sentence to be posted as the first paragraph of each specific post to which you wish the opt-out to apply: "Copyright solely with XYZ (real name of the author) reuse prohibited". The use of this sentence is not permitted in the automatic signature block. To apply the opt-out for any image posted to this MB, the same sentence must be embedded into each image.
    8. Any material protected by copyright (unless you are the owner) may not be posted on this MB without the express permission of the copyright owner. This includes reproducing the full text or substantial part of any written material such as news stories, articles, books, etc. It is acceptable to paraphrase other works; citing the original source whenever possible. It is permissible to mention or link to other websites that are of interest to users of this MB, so long as they do not violate our Forum Rules or the linked website's guidelines.
    9. Site administration of this MB is charged with enforcing this Copyright Notice, using their judgment.

I have not seen the Pinterest Copyright information; however, this site does not block the images with their meta tag; thus, the only way that I have to legally prohibit the use of my images is to precede each message and photo that I post with the words as seen in Paragraph 7 above. Since others can pin my images without my knowledge do I have to go to Pinterest to have my exclusive images removed?

Do I have the opt out words in the correct place when I reply with a quote?

My objective would be to prohibit my photographs from leaving this site. An acceptable alternative would be an option for me to delete my images. I guess that I could start using photobucket or some alternative as a way to solve this problem.

Or am I missing something?

Blog Entries

"Copyright solely with Richard Crosby reuse prohibited".

Copyright Information from the NAWCC Message Board:

Copyright Notice
    ©2002-2014 NAWCC Message Board - All Rights Reserved Worldwide

1. It is the policy of NAWCC Inc. and the NAWCC Message Board (hereinafter “this MB”) to respect the copyright of third parties and to claim and defend its own copyrights to the full extent of the law.
    2. All NAWCC-owned Trade Marks, Titles, Logos, Names and Descriptions of Categories and Forums including but not limited to "NAWCC Message Board" are the property of NAWCC Inc. and World-Wide Ownership Rights are hereby asserted and protected.
    3. All Intellectual Property and Images appearing on this MB in any form or format are Ownership and Copyright Protected World-Wide. NAWCC INC. and/or individual authors and contributors own the copyright for the content.
    4. NAWCC warrant that you will retain full copyright ownership, rights, and privileges for each post you make on this MB and the content therein, and you may reuse those posts in any way desired. If you wish to share information contained on this MB it is recommended to use a link to the site or to a specific thread. No thread or part of a thread containing posts by multiple authors may be copied and placed on any other website without specific written permission of the NAWCC message board administrator
    5. By contributing to this MB you agree to grant NAWCC a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable license for use of and the right to publish and distribute your postings for educational purposes. Such use includes threads or parts thereof containing your postings. Publication and distribution is limited to NAWCC's own publications now known or later developed, their own websites, or other media published or created by NAWCC. Further, NAWCC will exercise due caution to ensure your postings are not used out of context. You cannot withdraw or retract your postings or seek payments from NAWCC in relation to this license now or at any time in the future.
    6. NAWCC further agrees that it will not sell, transfer or license the right to copy and use threads from this MB to outside third parties.
    7. If an author desires to deny the automatic transfer of rights to NAWCC as described in paragraph 5 above he/she has the option to opt-out of the automatic license provision for any specific, single message posting or any individual image posted anywhere on this MB. If you wish to apply the opt-out, NAWCC requires the following sentence to be posted as the first paragraph of each specific post to which you wish the opt-out to apply: "Copyright solely with XYZ (real name of the author) reuse prohibited". The use of this sentence is not permitted in the automatic signature block. To apply the opt-out for any image posted to this MB, the same sentence must be embedded into each image.
    8. Any material protected by copyright (unless you are the owner) may not be posted on this MB without the express permission of the copyright owner. This includes reproducing the full text or substantial part of any written material such as news stories, articles, books, etc. It is acceptable to paraphrase other works; citing the original source whenever possible. It is permissible to mention or link to other websites that are of interest to users of this MB, so long as they do not violate our Forum Rules or the linked website's guidelines.
    9. Site administration of this MB is charged with enforcing this Copyright Notice, using their judgment.

I have not seen the Pinterest Copyright information; however, this site does not block the images with their meta tag; thus, the only way that I have to legally prohibit the use of my images is to precede each message and photo that I post with the words as seen in Paragraph 7 above. Since others can pin my images without my knowledge do I have to go to Pinterest to have my exclusive images removed?

Do I have the opt out words in the correct place when I reply with a quote?

My objective would be to prohibit my photographs from leaving this site. An acceptable alternative would be an option for me to delete my images. I guess that I could start using photobucket or some alternative as a way to solve this problem.

Or am I missing something?
    Dick, I followed your link to the Wikipedia article and noticed that Pinterest has released a mechanism that would allow users to opt out of their images being posted on Pinterest. I do not know the details and probably do not have the time available to explore this, but perhaps someone else on our team could do so.

You have copyright to your original work whether or not you say so. That is in the language of the copyright act. In particular images are "whole works" and copying them for alternative use is actionable. You will not likely collect damages unless the usage is commercial. You may also use a watermark on your images either visible or not to protect them. If you use invisible watermarks that are registered with the scanning agent, you can receive reports of the illegal use of your images. I have those tools, but have not had occasion to use them. Presumably with such tools, you can contact the infringing user and demand damages for any commercial use.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    Dick, I followed your link to the Wikipedia article and noticed that Pinterest has released a mechanism that would allow users to opt out of their images being posted on Pinterest. I do not know the details and probably do not have the time available to explore this, but perhaps someone else on our team could do so.
    Tom,

It is a simple meta tag notice. All that would be required would be for someone to add it to the other meta tags listed in the MB configuration file.

If it is desired that access from Pinterest be blocked, then the first action I would recommend would be to TURN OFF the Pinterest add on in whatever plug-in is currently adding it to the board here. Someone must have elected to activate it; that same someone can turn it off. I suspect few if any of our users actually use that functionality, since apparently a goodly percentage of our users have no idea what Pinterest even is.

the only way that I have to legally prohibit the use of my images is to precede each message and photo that I post with the words as seen in Paragraph 7 above. Since others can pin my images without my knowledge do I have to go to Pinterest to have my exclusive images removed?

The paragraph you quoted from our rules here, which allows you to opt out of allowing your images to be used by the NAWCC, is exclusive only to the NAWCC. It has nothing to do with Pinterest, and has absolutely zero effect on whether or not your images are displayed on Pinterest.

The addition of the "block Pinterest" meta tag to this board only prevents logged in users of Pinterest from actively using their own "pin it" buttons to add material from here. They can still copy the URL of any photo in any public directory connected to the internet and link it to their Pinterest account. The mechanism in place (both mechanical and legal) that allows this is essentially identical to the method used by Google to harvest images for its Google Image Search function.

I suspect you could directly contact Pinterest with a list of image URLS you wish for them to completely block from their server usage. They probably have an application mechanism that enables you to do so. I suspect they would also require you to contact them about every specific image you want blocked, individually, and to contact them again every time you add a new image. So, it's legally possible to prevent your stuff from ever being linked to there, but I assume they don't make it easy or convenient to do so. Google runs their Google Images facility the same way.

Pinterest relies on the Safe Harbor internet legal protection and the legality of posting direct links to material from public internet sites, plus the "thumbnails" exception to digital copyright protection in order to allow their users to populate their pages. It's a pretty broad legal defense with precedent behind it.

ANYONE on the internet can "link" to any image on the public internet, create a "thumbnail" version of it, and use those thumbnails as active links on a web page or site of their own. That's how Pinterest does it, and how most social media sites get around individual copyright to some extent by hosting "links" instead of harvesting the actual files. Pinterest MAY also create an alternate "mirror" of the harvested images on their own servers under the "cache" exception ("temporary copies" hosted "for uninterrupted service" purposes). I'm not certain of the particulars.

So, there's that.
    Markus Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Harris View Post
    Tom,

It is a simple meta tag notice. All that would be required would be for someone to add it to the other meta tags listed in the MB configuration file.

If it is desired that access from Pinterest be blocked, then the first action I would recommend would be to TURN OFF the Pinterest add on in whatever plug-in is currently adding it to the board here. Someone must have elected to activate it; that same someone can turn it off. I suspect few if any of our users actually use that functionality, since apparently a goodly percentage of our users have no idea what Pinterest even is.

[/COLOR]The paragraph you quoted from our rules here, which allows you to opt out of allowing your images to be used by the NAWCC, is exclusive only to the NAWCC. It has nothing to do with Pinterest, and has absolutely zero effect on whether or not your images are displayed on Pinterest.

The addition of the "block Pinterest" meta tag to this board only prevents logged in users of Pinterest from actively using their own "pin it" buttons to add material from here. They can still copy the URL of any photo in any public directory connected to the internet and link it to their Pinterest account. The mechanism in place (both mechanical and legal) that allows this is essentially identical to the method used by Google to harvest images for its Google Image Search function.

I suspect you could directly contact Pinterest with a list of image URLS you wish for them to completely block from their server usage. They probably have an application mechanism that enables you to do so. I suspect they would also require you to contact them about every specific image you want blocked, individually, and to contact them again every time you add a new image. So, it's legally possible to prevent your stuff from ever being linked to there, but I assume they don't make it easy or convenient to do so. Google runs their Google Images facility the same way.

Pinterest relies on the Safe Harbor internet legal protection and the legality of posting direct links to material from public internet sites, plus the "thumbnails" exception to digital copyright protection in order to allow their users to populate their pages. It's a pretty broad legal defense with precedent behind it.

ANYONE on the internet can "link" to any image on the public internet, create a "thumbnail" version of it, and use those thumbnails as active links on a web page or site of their own. That's how Pinterest does it, and how most social media sites get around individual copyright to some extent by hosting "links" instead of harvesting the actual files. Pinterest MAY also create an alternate "mirror" of the harvested images on their own servers under the "cache" exception ("temporary copies" hosted "for uninterrupted service" purposes). I'm not certain of the particulars.

So, there's that.
    Markus,

Thank you for your response.

Have you identified who the "someone" is? I don't care to see a name; only wonder whether it is/was possible for someone to hack the MB Configuration File.

My personal solution is to either stop posting or seriously crop what I need to post as the cropped photos would only be of value on this board.

Again, thanks

Tom,

Thanks for your response as well. I will look into the Watermark solution.

Have you identified who the "someone" is? I don't care to see a name; only wonder whether it is/was possible for someone to hack the MB Configuration File.
    The config file hasn't been hacked. Someone in charge of adding plug-ins to this site elected to add that particular plug-in to the image handler (it probably came bundled in a "social media support" pack). Could have been Tom, could have been another of the admins working to update the image uploader handler settings.

I could go in, find it, and turn it off. But it's not really in my purview to do so; that's for the people who maintain the software structure and functionality of this MB to do (should they decide to do so).
    Markus Harris

Blog Entries

I thought I said in my last post that I had added it about 3 years ago when installing the social media links. Pinterest uses a differrent form than the others because it focuses only on images.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    I thought I said in my last post that I had added it about 3 years ago when installing the social media links. Pinterest uses a differrent form than the others because it focuses only on images.
    So for the last almost 3 years when I posted an image the large image with "pin in" never appeared.

My last two posts in the Practice Area now has the large photo with the Pin It function.

Something changed, other than Tom adding it 3 years ago.

How do I get rid of it?

I am not a member of Pinterest if that helps.

I have never seen this pin thing, is it because I use Chrome on a Chromebook? Mind you I don't remember seeing it at work either.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    I have never seen this pin thing, is it because I use Chrome on a Chromebook? Mind you I don't remember seeing it at work either.
    Just tested it with Chrome / windows 7 /

Still displays the large image with Pin It

Blog Entries

Dick, I wonder if maybe you just didn't notice it because it's in the upper right corner of the text, and you were looking at the photo to be sure it's displaying correctly. Attention was drawn by the the smaller image in the post rather than the "PinIt" visual noise in the upper right corner of the text window. Maybe now that you've noticed it, you can't ignore it like you may have been doing in the past. I know I've always just ignored it, and simply stopped noticing it after a while.

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Bill Stuntz)

I have disabled the Pinterest Mod. "Pin It" should not show any longer.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde