Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Steven Thornberry)

Indeed it does not show any longer. Have seen it before, but never knew what it was for so just ignored it. Now I don't have to ignore it either.

David
    David S

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Bill Stuntz)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
    Dick, I wonder if maybe you just didn't notice it because it's in the upper right corner of the text, and you were looking at the photo to be sure it's displaying correctly. Attention was drawn by the the smaller image in the post rather than the "PinIt" visual noise in the upper right corner of the text window. Maybe now that you've noticed it, you can't ignore it like you may have been doing in the past. I know I've always just ignored it, and simply stopped noticing it after a while.
    Bill,

I did not see it in the past...it would have been very obvious when large images are displayed along with the small thumbnails of the same photo.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    I have disabled the Pinterest Mod. "Pin It" should not show any longer.
    Look at this last post by me: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...74#post1083974

Note that the PinIt reference is gone; however, when I uploaded a photo and looked at the post it shows a verrrrrrrrrry large image along with the thumbnail?

This has been occurring only recently and is what started this discussion on the PinIt function as I assumed that they were together....obviously not based upon my last test.

So how does one eliminate the huge photos from showing? If you are going to show the large photos what is the purpose of thumbnails other than redundancy.

This is happening in Chrome and IE11 on a Windows 8.1 64 bit system as well as IE11 on a Windows 7 64bit system.

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Dick C)

Just posted some pictures today, and experienced the same problem. I've got very large images, and then the snapshots below it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dick C View Post
    Bill,

I did not see it in the past...it would have been very obvious when large images are displayed along with the small thumbnails of the same photo.

Dick
    It was just an idea, maybe wrong. But you might have just acknowledged my point, too. It wasn't as obvious when the inline photos were smaller. The large photos DID seem to make it more noticeable.
    Oh well, it doesn't actually matter now that Steven has disabled it. Thanks for bringing it up - it was certainly worth discussing.

And we ARE working on the "large image" problem that started when the system was down on the 12th. I think we ALL want the problem to go away.

FYI, a very counter-intuitive work-around exists. Simply delete the photo in the editor after uploading it. It will still appear in the thumbnail box at the bottom of the post without the huge image IN the post. It's not a GOOD solution, because the photos aren't visible at appropriate locations embedded in the text, but I think it's better than the huge images.
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 01-21-2017 at 11:17 AM.

It was just an idea, maybe wrong. But you might have just acknowledged my point, too. It wasn't as obvious when the inline photos were smaller. The large photos DID seem to make it more noticeable.
    Oh well, it doesn't actually matter now that Steven has disabled it. Thanks for bringing it up - it was certainly worth discussing.
    Bill,

Note my post #33 in this thread. The PinIt is gone; yet the large images, along with the thumbnails, are still there.

So why are the large photos there along with the thumbnails?

Blog Entries

Sorry, I was editing my last post while you were typing #36. You might want to re-read my edited post.
    You are absolutely correct - PinIt & the large images are totally unrelated. The large images appear to be an unintended side effect of a failed update on the 12th that resulted in a short MB outage. AFAIK, that outage was unrelated to the longer outage yesterday.

And we ARE working on the "large image" problem that started when the system was down on the 12th. I think we ALL want the problem to go away. FYI, a very counter-intuitive work-around exists. Simply delete the photo in the editor after uploading it. It will still appear in the thumbnail box at the bottom of the post without the huge image IN the post. It's not a GOOD solution, because the photos aren't visible at appropriate locations embedded in the text, but I think it's better than the huge images.
    With respect to the large photo image problem, this would require all members to implement this procedure.

It would not eliminate the threads that I look at where the poster has not gone through this procedure.

I assume that the broken Search function is possibly a result of the same outage(s).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dick C View Post
    With respect to the large photo image problem, this would require all members to implement this procedure.

It would not eliminate the threads that I look at where the poster has not gone through this procedure.

I assume that the broken Search function is possibly a result of the same outage(s).
    We hope to be able to correct the corrupted posts after we solve the problem.
    And that work-around is a PITA, but it's better than nothing at this point. It's probably asking too much to expect all our users to use the work-around. I'm afraid we'll have to live with it until we can actually solve the problem. Tom & I worked VERY hard to simplify the image upload process a couple years ago, and it was working very well until the recent problems broke it.

The broken search function is yet a 3rd problem that started with yesterday's outage.
    And then there's the intermittent "slows" problem. I suspect that side-effects of the efforts to solve the "slows" may have generated some of the other problems.

When it rains, it POURS! Tom, Kevin, & Markus are all working on the problems. They're working on a complete system upgrade.

We hope to be able to correct the corrupted posts after we solve the problem.
    And that work-around is a PITA, but it's better than nothing at this point. It's probably asking too much to expect all our users to use the work-around. I'm afraid we'll have to live with it until we can actually solve the problem. Tom & I worked VERY hard to simplify the image upload process a couple years ago, and it was working very well until the recent problems broke it.

The broken search function is yet a 3rd problem that started with yesterday's outage.
    And then there's the intermittent "slows" problem. I suspect that side-effects of the efforts to solve the "slows" may have generated some of the other problems.

When it rains, it POURS! Tom, Kevin, & Markus are all working on the problems. They're working on a complete system upgrade.
    Bill,

I do not know if this will help or hinder trying to find the large image problem. I ran a few tests of my own here: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...09#post1084009

Posts 10 - 13. I ran two versions of editing as shown and found that the large image only showed up when I clicked on Inline(1) with the Enhanced Interface Editor (WYSIWYG). The image of the pendulum bob had been stored previously.

Post 14. Decided to see what happened when I clicked on the Camera icon and downloaded an image from my system...note that it also showed up with the large image.

Enjoy, or not...perhaps this may help one narrow the problem as it is easily reproduced.

Dick

The only reason I disabled the Pinterest mod was because I thought, in reading this thread, that there was concern by some about having Pinterest capability on the MB. Of course, it was not related to the large images. I thought that was understood. I can easily re-enable the Pinterest mod and everyone can enjoy their pinups.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    The only reason I disabled the Pinterest mod was because I thought, in reading this thread, that there was concern by some about having Pinterest capability on the MB. Of course, it was not related to the large images. I thought that was understood. I can easily re-enable the Pinterest mod and everyone can enjoy their pinups.
    I have not problems with the reinstatement....just would like to see the large images resolved.

Blog Entries

The message board is overdue for a version update. Our current message board does not work with our currently available version of the PHP software in the operating system The most direct fix for that is to upgrade the message board, which I am working on.

When the upgrades are done, I will repair the extra large images globally.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Tom McIntyre)

A huge thank you to our volunteer IT people.
    I am sure these issues have been more frustrating to them than to any of us.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Jerry Treiman)

Cheers to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Treiman View Post
    A huge thank you to our volunteer IT people.
    I am sure these issues have been more frustrating to them than to any of us.