Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default full size images with thumbnails ??

The message board seems to be including full-size images now along with the thumbnails, at least when using the simple insert-image tool. Is this an error or was it an intentional change? I was able to simplify a recent post I made by editing to remove the full-size image; that left just the thumbnails.

Although not a problem for faster connections, the full-size images may slow down the page loading for some and affect data usage on portable devices.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Blog Entries

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Jerry Treiman)

I'm not aware of anything that's changed recently. Can you point me to an example?

Edit: OK, I've done some testing, and I see what you mean. I don't know how/why it's happening, but I'm looking into it. I find it interesting that I see the thumbnail size inline images in the editor as the post is created, but after submitting it, it shows up full size. And I can't control the size by double clicking the inline image like I could before.
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 01-13-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Bill Stuntz)

The way it is supposed to work is that a click on the thumbnail opens the gallery view where a click on the gallery image will open the original image.

In most browsers, the original image will also be scaled to the screen size but it can be clicked to display at full resolution with scroll bars.

If it has changed, something has gone awry with the software. It is possible that the changes to improve security that Kevin has been discussing could be responsible, but it was my understanding that nothing would be done before next week.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

NAWCC Communications Director

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    If it has changed, something has gone awry with the software. It is possible that the changes to improve security that Kevin has been discussing could be responsible, but it was my understanding that nothing would be done before next week.
    Nothing has been done on this end to reset the external firewall; so it can't be that.

This seems to be a software problem, possibly having to do with the image handling plugin. I believe Kevin may have updated the version of PHP on the MB last week; the updated version may have disagreed with the image handling code.

Markus
    Markus Harris
    Communications Director (NAWCC)

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Markus Harris)

it does appear to have removed the opportunity to enlarge the pic.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

So what is going on with this? When I clicked on the following thread it took forever to load because two of the photos were large in the posts and they also included a thumbnail.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...yone-have-info

Now I did notice that the words Pin It were in the upper right corner of the large photos.

Isn't change wonderful?

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Tom McIntyre)

There have also been some updates to various browsers these last few weeks. Claimed to be security updates, some of the recent security issues involved images and their embedded formatting code. It may be that the HTML codes are being processed differently by the browsers after these updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    The way it is supposed to work is that a click on the thumbnail opens the gallery view where a click on the gallery image will open the original image.

In most browsers, the original image will also be scaled to the screen size but it can be clicked to display at full resolution with scroll bars.

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: THTanner)

FRom what I can tell this is still and issue. Just posted a pic in the clock repair forum and it came out huge with a thumb nail as well. Sounds like it is still being worked on.

David
    David S

Blog Entries

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: David S)

It IS still being worked on. I think I can safely say that we're no happier about the situation than you are!

And to top it off, the "slows" are back from Comcast today after being great for a week, so it's a double whammy.
    I've been manually testing the speed every few hours since we started having the "intermittent slows." The full size image problem is relatively new, and seems to be unrelated to the slows.

Smile Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Dick C)

I've noticed this happening lately, but not to my posts, see my post #12 in the thread entitled "ID this PW The National M'F'G' & IMP'T'G Co. Chicago. This may help those working on the problem.

I use the basic editor and to put up thumbnails, I use the code [url=URL][img]URL&thumb=1[/img][/url]
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Bill Stuntz)

Hi Bill, miss you in the repair forum. I think it was you that introduced the "solder sucker" pivot bushing pre-cleaner.

Hope you are having fun trying to fix all this IT stuff.

David
    David S

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: David S)

There are also differences in the way the pages load on different platforms. I am in no way suggesting that they should all work exactly the same - that is a real nightmare to achieve - just documenting that the pages work differently on Linux (Ubuntu) and Win 10 and also on different browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari (iPad 2) and Windows' own. I tested four different combinations today and found that the large images with thumbnails appear on all the platforms, but some other features do not. I don't consider this a problem, but different users may experience different results depending on their OS, ad ons and versions.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    FRom what I can tell this is still and issue. Just posted a pic in the clock repair forum and it came out huge with a thumb nail as well. Sounds like it is still being worked on.

David

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: THTanner)

Quote Originally Posted by THTanner View Post
    There are also differences in the way the pages load on different platforms. I am in no way suggesting that they should all work exactly the same - that is a real nightmare to achieve - just documenting that the pages work differently on Linux (Ubuntu) and Win 10 and also on different browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari (iPad 2) and Windows' own. I tested four different combinations today and found that the large images with thumbnails appear on all the platforms, but some other features do not. I don't consider this a problem, but different users may experience different results depending on their OS, ad ons and versions.
    Ok well I am still running XP...yes that is right, no support I know all the stuff, but that is what all my applications are compatible with.

I am using Chrome.. and yes it keeps telling me to get upgraded to hmmm let me think 98, or is it ME,,, oh I think WIN10 he he .

David
    David S

Hopefully, someone is still working on addressing this issue. Take a look at my latest test. I downloaded the picture and lo and behold both images are posted.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?139728-Test-My-pin-it-question-what-does-it-really-do-with-my-images

When I signed up for this message board I understood that the images that I posted would stored by the NAWCC as part of this board.

I did not understand that the NAWCC would also make them available to a 3rd party, PINTEREST.COM, through the "Pin It" function.

Thus, my only alternative, which I will now use, is to stop loading any further photos which someone can pick up and use commercially.

Is someone really going to change this function or is this going to be permanent?

Default Re: full size images with thumbnails ?? (By: Dick C)

Having worked on similar issues when I ran a website I can sympathize whole heartedly with the IT team. This stuff has gotten so complicated and gets changed so often by parts of the puzzle that are beyond the control of the IT staff that it is a total nightmare. It will take some time and they need all the support we can give them without getting in their way.

Let us know what we might do to help. I tested the older method of uploading pictures from my PC as well as the Select button and got the same results either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick C View Post
    Hopefully, someone is still working on addressing this issue. Take a look at my latest test. I downloaded the picture and lo and behold both images are posted.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?139728-Test-My-pin-it-question-what-does-it-really-do-with-my-images

When I signed up for this message board I understood that the images that I posted would stored by the NAWCC as part of this board.

I did not understand that the NAWCC would also make them available to a 3rd party, PINTEREST.COM, through the "Pin It" function.

Thus, my only alternative, which I will now use, is to stop loading any further photos which someone can pick up and use commercially.

Is someone really going to change this function or is this going to be permanent?