Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Researching CNR "Employees watch rating card"

Hi,

I recently acquired a Waltham 16S 1899 "Riverside" movement in a Nickel-Silver case with a Canadian 24-hour dial. When I opened the case and inspected the watch (not presently working unfortunately), I noticed several inspector marks inscribed on the case back. The marks are:

• 8029AP278
    • 8495AP273
    • B24-1-42
    • D19963S
    • D20834S

The marks, dial and the case material leads me to believe that the watch may have belonged to a former Canadian National Railway employee and might be that person's daily beater.

I'd like to research to validate this theory and thought that maybe the employee's watch rating card could be on file with CNR. Can anyone start me off in my research by offering a place to begin asking about these records? Any help appreciated.

Thank you.
    - Robert

Blog Entries

Default Re: Researching CNR "Employees watch rating card" (By: robmack)

I think that a good place to start would be to try to determine if the case is original to the movement. Looking for extra case screw marks on the case rim that surrounds the movement might indicate the case is not original to the movement, thereby the numbers you mentioned may or may not pertain to that movement. As to hopefully finding inspection cards on file with CNR that might give information you seek, best of luck! If you had a name, maybe! If CNR is anything like CPR, expect NO HELP WHATSOEVER!

Registered user.

Default Re: Researching CNR "Employees watch rating card" (By: doug sinclair)

Thanks Doug. I have examined the case with my stereo microscope on 15X and not found any evidence to suggest that another movement ever occupied that case. The screw marks align with the movement's existing screw heads.

I will try and locate someone in CNR who might help but that could be a fruitless search as you suggest. I was probing the collective wisdom of this message board to see if there might be an address of a CNR museum or similar. I also hope to get another lead through the consignment shop I purchased the watch from. They might lead me to the previous owner.

Wish me luck. I'm excited as to what I might find.
    - Robert