Goal: $300, Received: $280.00 (94%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Backwind Smiths clock

here is an unusual Smiths clock I recently serviced. It is wound and set from the back of the clock, 8 day run time, with floating balance movement. Made late 1950's or 1960's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0555.jpg   IMG_0556.jpg  
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Backwind Smiths clock (By: harold bain)

Harold, during the '50s and '60s, the English were known to be a little backwards: Not a lot of people know that. I jolly well hope that there are no repercussions to that.

Default Re: Backwind Smiths clock (By: stewey)

Quote Originally Posted by stewey View Post
    Harold, during the '50s and '60s, the English were known to be a little backwards: Not a lot of people know that. I jolly well hope that there are no repercussions to that.
    If it hasn't happened over the last 60 years, probably won't now, Stewey.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Actually, I was born in England and lived there until the late '50s, so I do hope the people across the pond realize I was being a wee jocular. Anyway, that's a nice looking clock. It must be a little inconvenient to have to twist it around to wind it every 8 days or so.

Interesting clock, Harold. I think you're right about the time frame. Glanville and Wolmuth's Clockmaking in England and Wales in the Twentieth Century shows what I think is the same movement on page 197, fig. 5.31, where it is described as the F6 floating balance striking movement. They say on page 195 that Smiths started "to replace the short pendulum with the floating balance escapement, which they made to British Patent 735471 under licence from Blesch and Hettich of Germany." They show an ad from October 1956, but, alas, your clock is not shown, though there are some with similar features.

Any writing of interest on the movement?
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Backwind Smiths clock (By: Steven Thornberry)

Steven, I have seen them with a note that they had permission from Hettich to use the floating balance, but nothing like that on this one.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Steven has identified the movement which was available in front or rear wind so presumably there were some English who were forwards in those days.

Further details of the F6 movement which was in production from c 1956-69 can be found on pages 222/3 of the book. The original type 1 floating balance licensed from Hettich was superceded by a type 2 which is said to ease regulation, the difference appears to be the base of the escapement and the addition of a red marker on the adjuster. Ano source indicates the type 2 was introduced from around 1960 and was developed by Smiths.
    Last edited by jmclaugh; 01-10-2017 at 03:03 AM.
    Jonathan.

Default Re: Backwind Smiths clock (By: jmclaugh)

Here's an interesting article regarding Smith/Enfield: http://www.nationalclockrepair.com/E...ck_History.php

Quote Originally Posted by stewey View Post
    It must be a little inconvenient to have to twist it around to wind it every 8 days or so.
    That was my first thought too. Maybe that's why the movement type did not continue for long. It helps that it's a floating balance, at least.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Backwind Smiths clock (By: shutterbug)

The only back winds I have worked on are 400 day and a few bedside alarms like Seth Thomas
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

I've seen a few small Hermle movements that were rear wind. They were 130 series, if my memory is correct. I have never seen one in the catalogues or seller list though. So, they may be obsolete?
    Willie X

Default Re: Backwind Smiths clock (By: Willie X)

While we're on the more general subject of rear-wind movements, have a look at posts 126 and 129 in this thread, A couple of New Havens with rear-wind movements and long coiled suspension springs instead of the usual type of suspension spring.

Also, this Welch clock, the Chalet, which had a kind of tic-tac escapement. in the 2d eition of Tran's Welch book (arlingtonbooks.com), it's on page 78.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Backwind Smiths clock (By: Steven Thornberry)

There were tensd of thousands of carriage clocks made in France for the English market, all rear wind rear set. It isn't seen as anything unusual for a mantel clock here.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Backwind Smiths clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

You also see lots of mantel clocks with French drum movements which are rear wound and set, the common factor is they have platform escapements.
    Jonathan.

Default Re: Backwind Smiths clock (By: jmclaugh)

Quote Originally Posted by jmclaugh View Post
    You also see lots of mantel clocks with French drum movements which are rear wound and set, the common factor is they have platform escapements.
    Yes I was thinking that, it won't work for a pendulum as you wouldn't want to disturb it, that's why 18th century bracket clocks had turntables fitted so they would still run (works for verge, anchor may be a bit more fussy)

Not a problem for a platform which will work anyway up while you pick it up and wind it.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.